Austin based Yeti quits doing business with NRA

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Austin based Yeti quits doing business with NRA

Post by Abraham »

Whenever pols or businesses get their ...images caught in a wringer they come out with some garbage regarding either this was a policy they were always going to implement, but the timing just makes them look bad or we as customers just 'don't understand'.

Get lost.

Customers aren't stupid and your arrogance as a company is showing...

No-yeti ever...go away with your over priced status products.

The public and most especially the Texas public has your number...

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

Hmmm... Maybe I should hold off mailing the letter I just wrote.
Gentlemen,

I’d like to ask you to consider some common-sense restrictions on advertising and product design.

For instance, what citizen really needs 259 cans of ice-cold beer?

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, about 88,000 people die every year because of alcohol (https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-healt ... statistics).

In a nation of 325 million people, you could argue that’s an insignificant number. Until, that is, you or a loved one are massacred on the highway from either the direct assault of a flood of beer or by a driver whose only misdeed was a few too many.

Yet, you advertise your Tundra 350 can pack away 259 cans of beer, and it doesn’t even have childproof latches!

At nearly 300 can capacity, there is only one way to describe the Tundra 350.

It’s a high capacity beer magazine.

Beer causes more deaths than firearms. In fact, check out the FBI stats at https://ucr.fbi.gov. Gun related violence is dropping. Rape in on the increase, but I don’t think the FBI tracks the effect of beer goggles. I’m not saying there isn’t a connection with 259 can beer coolers and beer goggles. There might be, and I don’t want to marginalize any form of violence. I just have no data to make the case one way or the other.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of your customers are law-abiding, peaceful, mature citizens.

You’re in great company. Lots of wonderful firms can say the same thing. Outfits like Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Springfield, Glock, Sig Sauer, and many others.

The NRA, in fact, can say the same thing of its membership. The NRA does not condone violence and injury any more than Yeti does—even though you sell child friendly high capacity beer magazines. The NRA doesn’t sell guns. They safeguard the teeth in the Bill of Rights, but they do so non-violently with the First Amendment. Just like their advertisements say, they are freedom’s safest place.

If your partnership with the NRA isn’t profitable, I’d advise you to discontinue it, but I would never advise dropping ties to any civil rights organization without being clear about your motives.

Please do something to signal your continuing support of freedom in America. You know, like RTIC did. Your stockholders might not like the loss of sales, otherwise.
I included a screen shot of RTIC's Second Amendment Facebook post.

Lots of big companies don't understand their image isn't something crafted with spreadsheets. Could be Yeti is just another tone-deaf company when it comes to the implications of their decisions.

flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flowrie »

I sent an email to Yeti, here is their response sent to me via email.

“We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.”
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

twjones

Post by twjones »

Eh, what the heck... just brought an RTIC! :coolgleamA:

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

flowrie wrote:I sent an email to Yeti, here is their response sent to me via email.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

I think it’s damage control. Until they show proof I won’t believe it.

flechero
Posts in topic: 8

Post by flechero »

I got the same message...

I'm surprised that it took them all day to come up with that- I could have made up something better in about 30 minutes. :lol:

mayor

Post by mayor »

flowrie wrote:I sent an email to Yeti, here is their response sent to me via email.

I received the same email. My translation: "It is all a big mistake and the NRA-ILA is sensationalizing the entire misunderstanding. We support the 2nd Amendment, but will not support the NRA Foundation. Besides, it's all about huntin'."

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

cyphertext wrote:Not the first time that YETI has been seen as anti-gun...
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... e-gun-ban/
This explanation and excuse loses all credibility after dissing the NRA. They knew exactly what they were doing at their store and thought they could get away with it until they got called out. Now ending their NRA relationship their lame excuse is the NRA can have the same deal everyone other organization can garner with them to put logos on products so they are on the same level as the Brady bunch to add a logo.

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

MMM BOY! Talk about stepping in a ditch full of cow poo and falling on a hornets nest!
I'm not too good at this, but I sent the following email to Yeti:

"Due to your refusing sales to the NRA I will no longer purchase any of your products and I will encourage any and all not to either. You have not only lost the business of Corporate NRA but the business of millions of sportsmen who are members. You forget, we are the NRA."

I can hardly wait to see what/if they reply. :lol:
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

I sent a letter too. What a poor business decision to make and timing is everything. But then they are based in Austin. This will hurt them big time.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

flechero wrote:I got the same message...

I'm surprised that it took them all day to come up with that- I could have made up something better in about 30 minutes. :lol:
The main reason why I don’t believe them, they could have said that right away if it were the truth instead of waiting until they felt the backlash.
Last edited by mrvmax on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

flechero

Post by flechero »

stever1950 wrote:MMM BOY! Talk about stepping in a ditch full of cow poo and falling on a hornets nest!

"Due to your refusing sales to the NRA I will no longer purchase any of your products and I will encourage any and all not to either. You have not only lost the business of Corporate NRA but the business of millions of sportsmen who are members. You forget, we are the NRA."

You'll get the same canned response that we all got!

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Yep, got my canned response too.

What I would like is proof of who these other organizations were that were also notified.YETI needs to name names before I will believe them.
Ron
NRA Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

rtschl wrote:Yep, got my canned response too.

What I would like is proof of who these other organizations were that were also notified.YETI needs to name names before I will believe them.
And the problem now is that they have waited so long (3-4 days) that many of us (me included) will doubt the authenticity of the corroborator.

I sure wish Charles would/ could weigh in on this one!

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

flechero wrote:
stever1950 wrote:MMM BOY! Talk about stepping in a ditch full of cow poo and falling on a hornets nest!

You'll get the same canned response that we all got!
Yeah, I'm sure I will. They posted the exact same message on their FB. I only scanned a few pages and people are really tearing them up. :fire
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”