TX: Dallas mom sentenced to week in jail for refusing to apologize to judge

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Dallas mom sentenced to week in jail for refusing to apologize to judge

Post by carlson1 »

iratollah wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:40 pm Our elected officials are letting felons out of jail so they can put working, law-abiding people in.
:iagree: My exact thoughts.

The weigh-in from the Governor and the Attorney General mean nothing to this Democratic Judge or County.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Flightmare »

Ms Luther's attorney on Tucker Carlson tonight;

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Her Go Fund Me is at 500,000.00 !!! LOL, I do believe her losses are now covered. If they drag this out another week she will be a millionaire. "rlol" :patriot:

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

[/quote]
My understanding is that she did file for PPP loan - but as we know the funds ran out and a lot of small businesses were left with no options. Also I personally know people who have been desperately trying to file for unemployment but cannot get through to even file for it.
[/quote]

You'd be correct about the PPP. Someone should do a poll here to see how many small business owners actually got some kind of support from it. I applied before the fund was said to have run out, and I have not seen one dime. My small business has reliably generated tax revenue for the federal government for each and every year of the past 14 years.

Right now it appears that I can survive without PPP funds and I don't like the thought of taking "welfare" - but here's the problem with that: If they give it to some businesses, the only fair thing is to give it to all which qualify equally under the rules they specified, or else they create a competitive advantage for a few at the expense of the rest. The most important thing is that the playing field be level, and it isn't level - not even remotely.

thenick_ttu

Post by thenick_ttu »

Interblog wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:01 am
My understanding is that she did file for PPP loan - but as we know the funds ran out and a lot of small businesses were left with no options. Also I personally know people who have been desperately trying to file for unemployment but cannot get through to even file for it.
[/quote]

You'd be correct about the PPP. Someone should do a poll here to see how many small business owners actually got some kind of support from it. I applied before the fund was said to have run out, and I have not seen one dime. My small business has reliably generated tax revenue for the federal government for each and every year of the past 14 years.

Right now it appears that I can survive without PPP funds and I don't like the thought of taking "welfare" - but here's the problem with that: If they give it to some businesses, the only fair thing is to give it to all which qualify equally under the rules they specified, or else they create a competitive advantage for a few at the expense of the rest. The most important thing is that the playing field be level, and it isn't level - not even remotely.
[/quote]

I'm a CPA and I've had lots of interactions regarding these PPP loans. Even for the companies that did receive approval (and a loan number) in the first round of funding, it has taken weeks for the money to hit bank accounts. I have clients who's loan was approved back on April 13 and the funds didn't hit their bank account until yesterday (May 6). That's a 3 1/2 week delay in getting funds.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Even if the money didn’t run out, she likely would have been turned down unless she has an actual payroll. The way I understand it is the amount one qualifies for is based in large part on payroll. Charging rent on spaces and then getting paid a cut of proceeds would not be payroll

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Flightmare wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:15 pm Ms Luther's attorney on Tucker Carlson tonight;

"Buffoon hack judge..." Wow! LOL! :mrgreen:

rtschl
Posts in topic: 10

Post by rtschl »

Interblog wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:01 am ...

It's not welfare when the government orders you to close. What chaps me about all this, is it puts taxpayers on the hook to pay for all this and yet the small businesses and individuals that need the assistance the most are not getting it. This should be considered a form of Eminent Domain. If the government (local, state or fed) took your property and put you out of business they have to "fairly" compensate you for the value of the property to do so. They would also have to go through a judicial process. This is orders to stop doing your business if the government doesn't deem you as "essential". :banghead:
Ron
NRA Member

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Texas Supreme Court has ordered her release.

https://www.txcourts.gov/supreme/orders ... ay-7-2020/
Ron
NRA Member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

rtschl wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:47 am Texas Supreme Court has ordered her release.

And no link yet, but Fox News just reported that Gov. Abbott has revised executive orders to state that there will be no jail time for any COVID-19 business lockdown offenders.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

rtschl wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:47 am Texas Supreme Court has ordered her release.

:hurry: :hurry: :hurry:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Rafe wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am

And no link yet, but Fox News just reported that Gov. Abbott has revised executive orders to state that there will be no jail time for any COVID-19 business lockdown offenders.
Here's Gov. Abbott's revised order on website: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... punishment

Someone else posted this on twitter:
Ron
NRA Member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

rtschl wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am Here's Gov. Abbott's revised order on website: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... punishment
There ya go. Thanks. Just found a link to a local Houston ABC affiliate story, too: https://abc13.com/society/no-more-jail- ... s/6159632/. Gov. Abbott probably never envisioned that county officials would be releasing known felons from jail in the name of COVID-19, and then sending law-abiding business owners to jail with the same justification.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Flightmare »

Rafe wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 am
rtschl wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am Here's Gov. Abbott's revised order on website: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... punishment
There ya go. Thanks. Just found a link to a local Houston ABC affiliate story, too: https://abc13.com/society/no-more-jail- ... s/6159632/. Gov. Abbott probably never envisioned that county officials would be releasing known felons from jail in the name of COVID-19, and then sending law-abiding business owners to jail with the same justification.
For the record, she was jailed on the charge of contempt (both civil and criminal), not for violating the EO.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”