USB HARDWARE NOT RECOGNIZED

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
casingpoint
Posts in topic: 4

USB HARDWARE NOT RECOGNIZED

Post by casingpoint »

Computer fails to recognize a handheld GPS and an SD card scanner. Also fails with a modular USB 2.0 splitter hub. Keyboard and mouse USB devices are functioning. Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Of course, I'd rather be fishing, but UPS brought the Garmin 450T GPS today. Cabelas order won't be delivered until Friday. That's the way this cookie crumbled.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: USB HARDWARE NOT RECOGNIZED

Post by Keith B »

What version of Windows? Make sure you have the latest hardware drivers installed from Microsoft installed. The hardware drivers are optional updates and don't get installed with the automatic update.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Sorry about that, KeithB. Windows XP is the OS, a very early edition purchased in 01, I think. The affected USB devices are supposed to be compatible with XP. Researching the drivers now.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Make sure you have the latest service packs and updates for Windows.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Have Service Pack Two and Automatic Updates turned on. I read where the drivers are not updated, however.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

SP3 has been out since May of 2008
Its probobly safe to update to SP3 now .. :headscratch

Try connecting to a diff USB port - or swapping the keyboard with the GPS

Another trick is to go to device manager and Uninstall the USB devices

thus gets tricky when your Mouse is USB because at some point you will remove the Controller that makes the mouse work. At that point alt f4 should give you restart option

HD76

Post by HD76 »

I have not personally used a Garmin. Did you read the instructions <gasp/>. Some USB devices must have their software installed BEFORE the first time they are plugged in. If they do, and you didn't follow instructions; you have to do a funny dance, and speak magical words to XP to allow you to remove the "bad" device so it will recognize the device correctly the next time it is attached. If this is the case, let me know, and I will look up the command to show hidden devices for you.

Update: Here is the link for showing how to show all USB devices if you need to remove it manually. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PetrucciFan

Post by PetrucciFan »

Is this a laptop or desktop? Sometimes, on laptops, they do not provide enough power to run the device. If it is a laptop, make sure the garmin is plugged into a wall outlet to get the proper power.
Glock 26
Ruger LCP

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

It's a desktop.

But a more pressing problem has arisen, so the USB thing, unsolved, is on hold.

The HP LaserJet 1020 printer started printing blanks. I deleted the drivers, then could not find the original disc to reinstall, so I made a disc off the HP website with a friend's computer with high speed access and ran it in the CD drive. Not sure where it went, but I do find this particular drivers file in the Program Files on "C".

The immediate question is, how do I install that file and restore the print function??? :headscratch

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

If the CD you made doesn't provide a file called autorun or setup, you should be able to just go through printers and faxes menu on the start menu, and select Add Printer. When it asks which printer, select Have Disk, and navigate to that CD to see if the driver file is there. If so, it should copy it to the correct location.

Failing that, the HP drivers are all similar enough that you should be able to install the drivers for something like an HP Laserjet 5, and do fine.
NRA lifetime member

Knack

Post by Knack »

Here's a few helpful hints for USB devices:
1. ALWAYS install the software before installing the device, unless its a keyboard, mouse, or flash drive.
2. *IF* your device is not recognized, look in device manager and see if any items are not recognized, or have a yellow exclamation mark next to them. Unplug the device, right click the device in device manager and uninstall it, reboot, and reinstall your software.

This is a very common problem with USB devices on the older operating systems.

Figures my first post would be about computers and not CHL :txflag:

Chris
Chris

LeeShane

Post by LeeShane »

To initiate recognition of the USB device by using Device Manager, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. The Device Manager window opens.
2. Click to select your computer as the location for the scan.
3. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
Windows XP recognizes the new device.
4. Close the Device Manager window.

restart computer.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Are you sure the USB ports on the computer are 2.0? My Garmin (GPSMAP 96C) only works on 2.0 and my older computer has only 1.x USB ports. That PC (Windows XP also) will not recognize my Garmin.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”