HAVE YOU EVER PULLED YOUR GUN?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HAVE YOU EVER PULLED YOUR GUN?

Post by RottenApple »

I've unholstered 3 times but place my hand upon my firearm (without drawing) every time I go to answer the door. 2 of the unholsterings (is that even a word? :smilelol5: ) were at my home.

Unholstered:
1) My mom (lives with us and has the downstairs bedroom) heard a noise outside her bedroom about 1am. She woke me & I went out with gun drawn. Turned out to be my BIL (he lived with us at the time) bringing up the wheelie bins as he just returned from working late. Scared him to death (almost).

2) Sitting around watching TV one evening, the front door handle started rattling and it was obvious someone was eying to get in. I was out of my chair, gun drawn & leveled at the front door, when it opened and my BIL (no longer lived with us but still had a key) walked in. He freaked, I reholstered, all was good.

Needless to say, my BIL now calls to let us know he's coming over and texts when he's at the door, just so I don't draw on him again. :lol::

3) Medical City Dallas parking garage. I was parked out of the way, no other vehicles around me, nothing in the area I was parked. 3 young looking guys were approaching where I was, staring at me the whole time. I hollered, asking what they needed, no answer. Placed my hand on my gun and asked what they needed again. No answer. Drew but kept it low by my side. One saw it, said something to the others, and they changed direction. I went back in and reported it to security, who called the police, who looked around, didn't find anything, and left.

As for just placing my hand on my gun, every time I go to answer my door I do so. That way, should it be something bad, I'm faster at the draw. If everything is kosher, I just drop my hand and the person at the door is none the wiser.

Interesting side-story to that though. One day, about 10am or so, there was a knock at my door. I went to answer, asked who it was, and it was the local police. I still had my hand on my gun when I opened it, saw it really was the cops, and dropped my hand. The officer wanted to let me know that someone had egged my van out front. So we went, looked at it, filed a report, and talked for a few. Before she left, she asked me if I carried. I told her yes, and she said that was smart how I answered the door. She's the only one who has ever noticed that I keep my hand on my gun when answering the door.

Bonc_CHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bonc_CHL »

Funny how the BIL's seem to get drawn on more than most, I had a similar situation with my ex-BIL, he had a key and twice that i can recall he came in while I was in the shower and I heard noise so I came out with my weapon drawn, during one of those encounters he did not realize it was me at first and he went to draw on me when he saw a gun pointed his direction.
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Bonc_CHL wrote:Funny how the BIL's seem to get drawn on more than most, I had a similar situation with my ex-BIL, he had a key and twice that i can recall he came in while I was in the shower and I heard noise so I came out with my weapon drawn, during one of those encounters he did not realize it was me at first and he went to draw on me when he saw a gun pointed his direction.
:lol:: I'm sure that by now my BIL thinks I'm out to get him.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

blackdog8200 wrote:,Based on the current Zimmerman murder trial, I think it is prudent to concider anything one might post in this forum will be trotted out for the jury, broadcast on CNN etal and colored to make one look guilty (of something) God forbid one need to ever use deadly force as a last resort, in the future.

Just calling 911 to report activity in your neighborhood is being painted as at "pattern" of behavior that suggests one is "fed up and willing to take matters into his own hands." The old if you see something say something might just be used against you.

.....my foil hat is around here somewhere lol

IANAL.....but I watch them on TV

:txflag:
Do you want to borrow my hat?

Last edited by sugar land dave on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

The closest I've come was a few months ago in a parking lot. A guy was standing in a parking space & not paying attention to anything going on around him. I tapped my horn and motioned for him to step out of the way so I could park. He moved. I parked & started to head into the restaurant. Then he starts walking back towards me, yelling about what he's going to do to me. I turned & faced him, looked him square in the eye, and told him to go away. He kept talking, but walked away as he did.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

The only real scare I had was at home. None were in the public.

I slept at my gf's house one night and while I was in bed, I heard a loud crash inside the house. I gave my gf my small 380 and told her to stay in the bedroom and call the police. I went out the door with my other Sig (it was open and flashlight on, gun forward) scanned the house, and to find out her dog had knocked something over and broke the window. The police arrived (22 minutes later) and told them what had happened. They laughed and went on their way.

I had some scares prior to this at my fathers house, but that's for another time.

Stay safe!
We don't need no stinking badges!

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I am not going to post a link to it here but the post by BurnedOutLEO on another forum is pretty informative and has given me reason to really consider when I would actually draw. I carried under MPA several times and hadn't ever needed to draw. I have gone to condition red and had guns ready a couple of times in the house. One was for some jackal banging on our back fence with what sounded like a hammer.

Another time when just getting ready for bed I heard what I thought was our back door handle being wiggled. It turned out to be one of our cats knocking something over that sounded exactly the same.

Animals and BILs have a way of breaking leather. :shock:
Psalm 91:2

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

RottenApple wrote:I've unholstered 3 times but place my hand upon my firearm (without drawing) every time I go to answer the door. 2 of the unholsterings (is that even a word? :smilelol5: ) were at my home.

. . .

As for just placing my hand on my gun, every time I go to answer my door I do so. That way, should it be something bad, I'm faster at the draw. If everything is kosher, I just drop my hand and the person at the door is none the wiser.

Interesting side-story to that though. One day, about 10am or so, there was a knock at my door. I went to answer, asked who it was, and it was the local police. I still had my hand on my gun when I opened it, saw it really was the cops, and dropped my hand. The officer wanted to let me know that someone had egged my van out front. So we went, looked at it, filed a report, and talked for a few. Before she left, she asked me if I carried. I told her yes, and she said that was smart how I answered the door. She's the only one who has ever noticed that I keep my hand on my gun when answering the door.
I rarely answer the door without my gun in my hand, although I do check the peep and sometimes just set the gun on the shelf near the door.

I have held a drunk teenage boy that tried to muscle into my house while describing what he intended to do with and to my teenage daughter, with a shotgun. When the police arrived he tried to have them arrest me for assault with a deadly weapon. They just laughed and put the cuffs on a little tighter. His mother called me the next day to let me know how nasty she thought I was.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 11

Post by chuck j »

Went thru commercial drive thru at the bank to get store change last year . Told the bank teller lady what denomination change we needed and was just sitting in the car waiting for the big metal drawer to come out with the money . Happened to glance in my driver side mirror and there was a tall young guy leaning against brick wall of the building right at my bumper on my side watching me . He looked nervous and up to no good , it was during the lobby's operating hours and there was no reason for him to be standing in the drive thru plus there were two more lanes that were open with no one in them .
I slid my 380 out of my pocket and tucked it halfway under my right leg . Looked like it was going to be a snach and run when the teller pushed the drawer out with the money . I was kind of in a bind , this was a bank , had two overhead cameras trained me from the front and a camera at the top of the tellers space looking down at me , I really didn't want to start waving a gun around . Had to leave the 380 under my leg but kept watching the young guy , it made him more nervous . He just left walking fast............real fast without looking back . The teller pushed the money out and I left . That young man had something on his mind but backed out . Put my gun back in my pocket as I drove out and went back to the job . So I did pull my gun but nothing really happened . Good deal !

Pecos
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pecos »

Im going to start carryin for the firs time tonight & hope I never have to pull it. Im hoping I can avoid the threat before code orange. If I ever need to stop the threat & cant avoid it any other way & feel life threatened.... etc. I will pull it as last resort Ill be ready. Ive been reading the book "Armed". :thumbs2:
:fire
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

That's the way I feel also , I'm not looking for trouble .

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

chuck j wrote:Went thru commercial drive thru at the bank to get store change last year .!
Chuck,
No criticism intended or implied:
I'd ready it, but I'm not pulling it if it's just snatch-and grab. I'm under the impression that using it will cost me $25k-$50k on average, so I'd need to be withdrawing that much to actually be willing to use it.

And yea, I'm probably not typical.

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

I had no intention of using my gun on him unless he tried to attack me . Figured if he got the money out of the box and ran that it would be on the bank ,could be wrong but still would not have tried to stop him . I had the doors locked and was only prepared to defend myself .

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

One time at 2:30 pm I stopped at Walmart to get something for work. It was busy so I had to park very far out in the parking lot. As I left my car and headed toward the store I observed a 6' 4" 240# fellow watching and angling to intercept me from the right. I changed my approach to the store twice and he changed directions with me. After checking that there was no one else waiting to the left in a pincher position, I slid my right hand to my backup in my pocket and slid it half way out of the holster with my finger in the safe position outside the guard.. When he closed to about 15 feet, I raised an extended left palm towards him and told him "Stop, I don't have time to talk to you." As I did this my right hand slid out of my pocket enough for the back of my hand to conceal all but a tiny glint of metal for him to see. He stopped dead and said "sorry" as he took a few steps back. I proceeded inside and notified the store. By the time police arrived he had robbed someone else at knife point.

I'm glad the BG was street smart enough to not push a bad position. I'm glad class training and forum reading had prepared me for the scenario enough to know how far into a draw I had to be to cover a knife attack. I'm especially glad I got to return to work on time safe and sound and can relate this story now for others to consider.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Twice, but this is the only one worth sharing.
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=64079

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”