Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Primary Arms Optics...Thoughts?

Post by steveincowtown »

I need to purchase a new optic for one of my guns. Does anyone here have experience with Primary Arms Optics out of Pearland?

Likes/ Dislikes

Quality?

Thanks!
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

MoJo

Re: Primary Arms Optics...Thoughts?

Post by MoJo »

I have THIS scope on a Remington 700 .30-'06. It does everything I want to do with it. I am not a hunter just a shooter and my stuff isn't put through a lot of stress. I am very happy the scope is sharp and clear, holds zero, and tracks windage and elevation well. The flip up lens caps that come with the scope are cheesy. Order the optional Butler Creek ones if you like flip ups. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

FL450
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FL450 »

PA just released their 1X6 ranging reticle scope for 250.
I put my hands on their test scope last week before their first shipment arrived this week.
Looks like a good value for the money.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

A buddy of mine has one mounted on his AK. It is a red dot scope. Has 3 different settings on it and the battery is great. Also extremely bright. I have to ask him what model, but just from shooting it a couple of times with it, it seems like a great buy.
We don't need no stinking badges!

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I've got one of their 1-4 scopes and it's ridden on my .45-70 with no issue (with my handloads and not just factory stuff). Seems good enough to me. :fire

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I've got three of their red dots (I think... maybe 4) and one magnifier, and all have been flawless. I've ordered a LOT of stuff from PA over the last few years with zero issues, and their shipping is blazing fast :cool: Marsh is a great guy.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I have no personal experience with em but I only seem to hear good things.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

They are great guys to deal with and they put out a good product. I have one of their microdots on my AR, and I bought one of their 3x compact scopes for a buddy. I plan to get the new 1-6 wit hte ACSS reticle as soon as I build a rifle for it.

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Since my last post I have picked up and dialed in my PA 1X6. With 2 new teenage drivers and the cost of all the high school activity's my gun budget has been deeply slashed so this scope fit my budget.
The scope is not a rebranded scope with PA's name on it but built to their specs. It is not based on their 1X4 but used the same ACSS reticle as PA's 6X scope. PA also checked every one of the 800 in the first shipment for issues before shipping them to customers.
I am new to scopes so I don't have anything to compare with so my first impressions are just that.
I dialed the scope in at 100yds. The elevation was spot on but I had to adjust the windage.
I saw no visible distortion in the glass. At 1X the target was almost as quick to acquire as a red dot. The illumination cant be seen in bright light but you don't need it in bright light. The illumination dial has 6 steps with an off between each step making your preferred setting very convenient.
Since this is on a for fun range/Pig gun the scope fit my needs.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Does anyone here have experience with Primary Arms Optics out of Pearland?

Yes and it's all positive.

Knowledgable good guys.

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

FL450 wrote:Since my last post I have picked up and dialed in my PA 1X6. With 2 new teenage drivers and the cost of all the high school activity's my gun budget has been deeply slashed so this scope fit my budget.
The scope is not a rebranded scope with PA's name on it but built to their specs. It is not based on their 1X4 but used the same ACSS reticle as PA's 6X scope. PA also checked every one of the 800 in the first shipment for issues before shipping them to customers.
I am new to scopes so I don't have anything to compare with so my first impressions are just that.
I dialed the scope in at 100yds. The elevation was spot on but I had to adjust the windage.
I saw no visible distortion in the glass. At 1X the target was almost as quick to acquire as a red dot. The illumination cant be seen in bright light but you don't need it in bright light. The illumination dial has 6 steps with an off between each step making your preferred setting very convenient.
Since this is on a for fun range/Pig gun the scope fit my needs.
Glad to know it met expectations. Marshall and Dimitri worked very hard on getting it to market and hopefully will have a more versions for other calibers in the future. After this batch is gone it will be some time till we get in more. There is however another version coming out that is built by Optisan. The glass will be noticeably better, but it will cost more (somewhere around $399).

On another note there is a fixed 2.5 and a 4x coming out soon as well. The PA3X compact has been retired and these two are sorta replacements.

-Rug

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

steveincowtown wrote:I need to purchase a new optic for one of my guns. Does anyone here have experience with Primary Arms Optics out of Pearland?
Primary Arms is now on the Pearland side of Houston at Beltway 8 and 288. Their showroom was pretty sterile. I liked walking in the front door and being greeted by a person behind a low, unimposing display case. It appeared that they had a sample of each of their optics mounted on a fake gun stock to play with. They also had about 8 metal metro racks with discounted stuff to play with. Apparently all sales go through their website, so the front wall was dedicated to computer terminals to place orders. I just stood in the showroom and placed my order using my phone. The back wall consisted of a long, bank teller cage to facilitate picking up orders. Took about 30 minutes to fill mine (little slow I guess). Sort of an odd/clever mixture of brick & mortar and online. Everyone (staff and customers) I talked to was incredibly friendly and accomidating. I even made a crazy request to change my order immediately after placing it, and they handled that in seconds with a smile.

I was really happy doing business there. I would go back. I would recommend it to others. I look forward to playing with my new scope.

Acronym 10/31/2017 11:02 PM

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Acronym Esq wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:I need to purchase a new optic for one of my guns. Does anyone here have experience with Primary Arms Optics out of Pearland?
Primary Arms is now on the Pearland side of Houston at Beltway 8 and 288. Their showroom was pretty sterile. I liked walking in the front door and being greeted by a person behind a low, unimposing display case. It appeared that they had a sample of each of their optics mounted on a fake gun stock to play with. They also had about 8 metal metro racks with discounted stuff to play with. Apparently all sales go through their website, so the front wall was dedicated to computer terminals to place orders. I just stood in the showroom and placed my order using my phone. The back wall consisted of a long, bank teller cage to facilitate picking up orders. Took about 30 minutes to fill mine (little slow I guess). Sort of an odd/clever mixture of brick & mortar and online. Everyone (staff and customers) I talked to was incredibly friendly and accomidating. I even made a crazy request to change my order immediately after placing it, and they handled that in seconds with a smile.

I was really happy doing business there. I would go back. I would recommend it to others. I look forward to playing with my new scope.

Acronym 10/31/2017 11:02 PM
Sounds like Service Merchandise back in the day... was mainly a mail order catalog business, but it had physical showroom stores. If not ordering through the catalog, you could walk through the store and view the display items, write down the item number, and then head to the cashier to place your order. They would call out your number when your order was ready to be picked up from the back of the store.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I just bought this red dot http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms ... ife-md-ads, partly because it is supposed to have a 50,000 hour battery life, and I wanted a red dot that I could leave on instead of worrying about switching it on and off.

Mounted it on my Kel-Tec Sub-2000 about 3 months ago. Took it out of the safe this morning and the battery is dead. I will install a new battery and see if it lasts longer this time. If not, it might be headed back to PA.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I just bought this red dot http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms ... ife-md-ads, partly because it is supposed to have a 50,000 hour battery life, and I wanted a red dot that I could leave on instead of worrying about switching it on and off.

Mounted it on my Kel-Tec Sub-2000 about 3 months ago. Took it out of the safe this morning and the battery is dead. I will install a new battery and see if it lasts longer this time. If not, it might be headed back to PA.
Put a name brand, quality battery in it and you should be good to go. The cheap battery that comes with it has been known to fail early, from reports on other forums.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”