Hunt ISD teachers can now carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Hunt ISD teachers can now carry

Post by jmra »

tdrollo wrote:Before I went for my CHL class I pulled out the employee handbook for our school district and read what they had to say about employees carrying weapons. I wanted to be informed of the exact policy, and mainly I wanted to know if I could lock my firearm in my car while I was teaching, for convenience. I was surprised to see that according to district policy I could have my firearm in the car just as long as I did not bring it on the building premises (which specifically does not include parking lots, sidewalks, or areas outside the actual building). Then I went to my CHL class and the instructor blatantly told me that because I was a teacher I was absolutely NOT allowed to keep my gun in the car at school, but other adults who were not teachers could. I did not argue with him at the class, but I had the handbook pulled up right in front of me and read it over and over again, and it definitely contradicted what he said.

So, I went to our school police and asked them. After enthusiastically congratulating me on my CHL, they also pulled up the handbook and told me *I* was correct, and that it was plain as day in writing that I could lock my firearm in my car in the school parking lot. They told me of course to make sure that it was secured, and not to advertise that it was there (duh), but they were very amenable to the idea and very helpful.

So now, if I need to run errands after school, I have my firearm in the car and I can put it on to run my errands without having to go home first. :mrgreen:
Would love to see the wording in your handbook. Would like to work on better wording in ours.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

ELB wrote:
texanjoker wrote:It is a sad day when teachers need to carry guns to protect children :smash:
It was a sadder day when schools decided that guns were evil and even the depiction or mention there of had to be kept away from student and teacher alike...
As a teacher, I agree. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the argument that a teacher might lose control of herself/himself and shoot students. It is so insulting.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

ELB
Posts in topic: 33

Post by ELB »

jmra wrote:...
Would love to see the wording in your handbook. Would like to work on better wording in ours.
Run (and win) for school board with a couple of your like-minded compatriots, and change the wording yourself to join the other 25 or so school districts that permit CHL carry. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

ELB wrote:
jmra wrote:...
Run (and win) for school board with a couple of your like-minded compatriots, and change the wording yourself to join the other 25 or so school districts that permit CHL carry. ;-)
Would be nice but it's a Charter District. No school board elections.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tdrollo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tdrollo »

jmra wrote:
Here ya go:

Possession of Firearms and
Weapons
Policies FNCG, GKA
A person commits an offense if the person knowingly, intentionally,
or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club
or prohibited weapon listed in Penal de 46.05(a) onto the physical
premises of a school or educational institution or any grounds or
building in which an activity sponsored by a school or educational
institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation
vehicle of a school or educational institution, unless pursuant to
written regulations or written authorization of the District. Penal
Code 46.03 [See also FNCG]
“Premises,” for purposes of the paragraph above, means a building
or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public
or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot,
parking garage, or other parking area. Penal Code 46.035(f)(3) A
person commits a third degree felony if the person, by exhibiting
or using or threatening to exhibit or use a firearm, interferes with
the normal use of a building or portion of a campus or of a school
bus being used to transport children to and from school-sponsored
activities. Education Code 37.125.

ELB

Post by ELB »

texasag93 identifies another: Argyle ISD

I added this to my comprehensive list in the post way up yonder in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66105#p810414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also moved one school from the "maybe" to the "nope" column, and made some other small changes.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

2farnorth pointed out in another thread that Bonham ISD has joined the club of schools that have armed "ordinary" staff (e.g. teachers, administrators, not just police officers or dedicated guards.

Add Bonham to my post earlier in this thread that lists all the schools I have read about doing something similar: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66105&p=810414#p810414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

This needs to be published it a wider venue. I will post it on my facebook account so the teachers in my family will maybe get on board and talk to their management.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

drumbdummer wrote:
texanjoker wrote:It is a sad day when teachers need to carry guns to protect children :smash:
:iagree: HOWEVER, as a teacher at one of the schools that is in the above mentioned "approved" list.... I sure do like being able to do so legally!
As a teacher at a district where there has been no movement to let any CHL licensed staff or faculty carry inside their buildings, I'll also say that it's a sad day when teachers need to carry guns to protect children, but considering the world that we live in, I'd much rather have that additional tool at my disposal when protecting "my kids" than to not have it, and need it very badly.

At our building, we usually have a county deputy sherrif on duty as an SRO (School Resource Officer), but if something does go down in our wing of the building, it is just about 1/8 mile from their office to my lab room, and if they're mobile on the west end of the building, it's just over 1/4 mile from there to us. Since our deputies probably aren't running four-minute miles, that makes it possible that a significant amount of time would pass from the onset of violence till any police response.

It's a sad day when a teacher has to start the day with that bit of information in the back of their mind.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

School districts are also exempt from the Parking Lot Law. They can ban the possession of weapons in staff personal vehicles on district property regardless if the staff has a CHL.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

nightmare69 wrote:School districts are also exempt from the Parking Lot Law. They can ban the possession of weapons in staff personal vehicles on district property regardless if the staff has a CHL.
They CAN, but if a school district adopts the model rules put out by the Texas Association of School Boards (and a lot, maybe most, districts do that -both of yhe districts I have worked for have done that), then they don't ban a teacher's ability to have a gun in their car, instead merely echoing state law to restrict handguns from the premises, and then goes on to define premises as the buildings of the school, and not a walkway, parking lot, or roadway on the campus unless a school-sponsored educational activity is taking place at that location (for instance, marching band practice in a parking lot).

Each school teacher has to sign a statement saying that they have read and understand their district policies every year, but from the questions we see here on the forum, it seems to me that a lot of teachers and staff don't read their district's policies on weapons very well.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

ELB

Post by ELB »

I updated my earlier post to put Gatesville and Wylie ISDs into the column of schools that have either a "Guardian" or School Marshal program. Go here to see the whole list: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66105&p=810414#p810414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, the Wall Street Journal published an article a few days ago, on 8/25/14, More Texas Schools Allow Armed Employees, that cites the Texas Association of School Boards as saying there are at least 78 schools out of 1024 that have adopted a "guardian" program.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Updated my list in this post: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 05#p810414
to include Fayetteville ISD's Guardian program, thanks to Cheapsk8 for posting about it elsewhere.
USAF 1982-2005

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Add Pantego Christian Academy in Arlington, TX to the list

http://www.fox4news.com/news/arlington- ... -with-guns
NRA Life Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

Added Forsan, Anton, Smyer, Coahoma, and Agua Dulce ISDs.

And Abilene, Bangs, Early, Keene, Callisburg, and Carthage ISDs.
Last edited by ELB on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”