I defaulted on a student loan many years ago. Eventually, it went into wage garnishment. We weren't doing all that well at the time so I just left it as is. I was angry, however, that I couldn't get my CHL with that hovering over me.
Time went by and we got on our feet and arranged a payment schedule. That lasted for about six months or so until my wife was injured and unable to work for a little over a year. Very tough times with only one income...almost lost the house. So, the loan ended up defaulting again and back to wage garnishment I went.
Sometime after that, my brother gave me my first 1911 as a gift...just "because". Suddenly I had a renewed interest in obtaining my CHL but once again, the default stopped me.
I mentioned this on another forum I belonged to and one of the other members (SteyrM40, a member here too, actually) told me that he was almost sure I was eligible because in the eyes of the state, garnishment was repayment.
I emailed the DPS about it and the response was that indeed, I should be fine as long as I met all of the other requirements. I called TGSLC and they told me the same thing. I was dumbstruck...I asked if I were rejected would they provide the "licensing" letter to DPS and they said absolutely!
Sorry for the long read...but to anyone in default for the debts listed in the eligibility requirements...if you are being garnished, you probably qualify. I took my class two weeks later.
As an added bonus...when I called TGSLC, he also infomed me that I only had three payments left...which only ended up being two with the last one being refunded (that paid the actual license fee).
Oh yeah...THANKS STEYRM40!!!
Search found 1 match
Search found 1 match • Page 1 of 1
- ↳ Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions
- ↳ Test Area
- ↳ Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)
- Resources & Links
- ↳ CHL Checklist
- ↳ Government resources & CHL-related links
- ↳ DPS Updates
- National Rifle Association, Texas Firearms Coalition & Good Guys United
- ↳ National Rifle Association
- ↳ Texas Firearms Coalition
- ↳ Good Guys United
- ↳ General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion
- ↳ General Texas CHL Discussion
- ↳ Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues
- ↳ Rifles & Shotguns
- ↳ New to CHL?
- ↳ The "Waiting Room"
- ↳ Other States
- ↳ Shooting Ranges
- ↳ Reloading Forum
- ↳ Never Again!!
- ↳ Competitive Shooting
- ↳ Hunting Photos
- ↳ Books & Videos
- ↳ Off-Topic
- ↳ Ladies
- ↳ Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!
- ↳ Holsters & Accessories
- ↳ LEO Contacts & Bloopers
- ↳ "How To" Tips
- ↳ Job Board
- ↳ Camp's Corner
- ↳ Prayer Requests & Updates
- ↳ The Crime Blotter
- ↳ Self-Defense Reports
- ↳ Training & Practice
- Instructors , Classes and Training
- ↳ LTC Class Schedules & Locations
- ↳ Basic & Advanced Training (Non-LTC)
- ↳ Past Classes
- ↳ Instructors' Corner
- ↳ General
- Market: Buy, Sell, Trade - Please check the minimum posting requirements in Forum Rule 13
- ↳ Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies
- ↳ Firearms
- ↳ FFL Holders
- ↳ Closed Items
- ↳ Commercial Vendor Bargains and Deal
- ↳ Non-Firearm related items
- Community Service Announcements
- ↳ General Announcements
- ↳ Animal Rescue
- ↳ Prior Year TexasCHLforum Days
- ↳ 2012 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ 2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ 2009 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008
- ↳ Feedback - 2007 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- ↳ 2007 TexasCHLforum Day
- ↳ General Legislative Discussions
- ↳ 2019 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"
- ↳ Crimes on Campus
- ↳ Prior Session: 2005 - 2017
- ↳ 2015 Legislative Session
- ↳ 2013 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2013 Calls-To-Action
- ↳ 2011 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2009 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2007 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2005 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ Goals for 2007
- ↳ Concealed Carry on College Campuses
- ↳ 2017 Texas Legislative Session
- ↳ 2017 Legislative Wish List
- ↳ Federal
- ↳ Prior Year Elections
- ↳ 2012 Texas & Federal Elections
- ↳ Texas - 2008
- ↳ Federal - 2008
- ↳ 2014 Elections