The bullet trap???

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
getusumtx
Posts in topic: 1

The bullet trap???

Post by getusumtx »

Has anyone shot here?WHat is your impression? I am moving up to the Dallas area this fall and lookin for a good place to shoot that isnt to expensive.

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/
Proud College Student/VP of the College Republicans/Iraq war Veteran

ScubaSigGuy

Re: The bullet trap???

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I shoot there all the time. It has just been remodeled, and was closed most of last week.

Prices are fine for shooting and they have memberhips avaiable that will shave a few dollars off of the per visit costs.

Ammo prices are what you would expect at a range.

All in all it's a pretty good place to go shooting.
Last edited by ScubaSigGuy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

9mmGuy

Post by 9mmGuy »

i have shot there many times in the past. never any issues, lots of good people there.
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

bpet
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bpet »

Shoot there about once every three weeks. Enjoy the range and the people are friendly and always helpful. Their retail gun selection is pretty good and their rental gun selection is quite extensive.

Nice place.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

Cold. Very cold. The place is well-ventilated (GSR goes downrange), the downside being a draft on the back of your neck that can become uncomfortable after an hour or so. Consider bringing a hoodie if you go.

Aside from that, it's a pretty good place to shoot, and it's where I go if I go to a range. Non-member prices are 17.00 per lane (pistol), no time limit (unless you abuse it while they're busy, and they get that way on Friday nights and Saturdays). They're FMJ -friendly which is more than I can say for some other area ranges. If you shoot more than once a month a membership will pay for itself (and if you ask, they do have a Shooter membership for less money that gives you the range discount but not the store discounts). DON'T BUY AMMO THERE unless you are renting one of their guns; ammo prices are your typical range prices :eek6 . They have a HUGE selection of rentals, and a rather large store. Decent gun and accessory prices; they actually compete with Academy pretty well except in one area that I know of, and that's HD shotguns (they stock a higher class of tac shottie than your local Academy with matching price). The staff is pretty knowledgeable, though they have their opinions; for instance many of them subscribe to the Big Hole school of thought and will steer you towards larger calibers, especially in rifles, if you ask their opinion. They won't try to talk you OUT of a gun unless they think it patently won't do the job you want it to, and they don't sell junk. They do used gun sales and consignments (it's where I got my Browning Buckmark :thumbs2:), so you can sometimes find a deal if you're patient.

Caveats: you must declare all calibers you plan on shooting to avoid damage to the backstop. They do not allow .44Mag, .454 (I believe they do allow .45LC), .50AE, 5.7x28, any shotshell, or any rifle caliber except .22LR in the pistol lanes, and the rifle lanes are rented hourly. Fine by me; I just shoot 9x19 and .22.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Liko81 wrote:Cold. Very cold. The place is well-ventilated (GSR goes downrange), the downside being a draft on the back of your neck that can become uncomfortable after an hour or so. Consider bringing a hoodie if you go.

Aside from that, it's a pretty good place to shoot, and it's where I go if I go to a range. Non-member prices are 17.00 per lane (pistol), no time limit (unless you abuse it while they're busy, and they get that way on Friday nights and Saturdays). They're FMJ -friendly which is more than I can say for some other area ranges. If you shoot more than once a month a membership will pay for itself (and if you ask, they do have a Shooter membership for less money that gives you the range discount but not the store discounts). DON'T BUY AMMO THERE unless you are renting one of their guns; ammo prices are your typical range prices :eek6 . They have a HUGE selection of rentals, and a rather large store. Decent gun and accessory prices; they actually compete with Academy pretty well except in one area that I know of, and that's HD shotguns (they stock a higher class of tac shottie than your local Academy with matching price). The staff is pretty knowledgeable, though they have their opinions; for instance many of them subscribe to the Big Hole school of thought and will steer you towards larger calibers, especially in rifles, if you ask their opinion. They won't try to talk you OUT of a gun unless they think it patently won't do the job you want it to, and they don't sell junk. They do used gun sales and consignments (it's where I got my Browning Buckmark :thumbs2:), so you can sometimes find a deal if you're patient.

Caveats: you must declare all calibers you plan on shooting to avoid damage to the backstop. They do not allow .44Mag, .454 (I believe they do allow .45LC), .50AE, 5.7x28, any shotshell, or any rifle caliber except .22LR in the pistol lanes, and the rifle lanes are rented hourly. Fine by me; I just shoot 9x19 and .22.
One correction, they do allow .44 mag. They have also just remodeled the range area. The ventilation is better and the lighting is MUCH better. I never got cold in there (probably the extra insulation I carry.) I did get hot, as the old spotlights were pointing at you. The new lighting should eliminate that issue. They have been closed off and on for over a week, but should be open again today.

I agree with the rest of the post. The staff are good folks, but like all shooters have their opinions, but will help you get what you need. Overall I highly recommend them.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

hookster

Post by hookster »

I agree with everyone here. I live nearby and I've shot there several times. I haven't been over since the remodel, but if the lighting is better now then it should be nice. That was my only complaint in my past experience with them. The staff there have always been really helpful and friendly. It's a good place to shoot!

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

Shot there a lot. Good place.

Friday after 5pm is family night; take your spouse, kid, etc. and they shoot for free on your lane.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

Went there last night. Lighting is MUCH better now.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Been shooting there for quite a while. Went by there Sunday to window shop hand guns and take a look at the completed renovations. Holy Cow...the parking lot was packed! I will get by there during the day when they are not so busy. It's good to hear they have improved the lightning.

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

I have been going to the Bullet Trap almost exclusively (since it's nearby and I have a membership). With the remodelling, new paint, new lights, it looks great. Ventilation is also much more improved. One thing I will say about the ventilation is that sometimes it's quite strong, and blows the targets around. I guess maybe that can be good practice too, but when I'm trying to impress a girl it sucks.

Regarding the staff, I have found each and every one there to be knowledgable, friendly, and fairly objective when it comes to their retail shop. I'll echo some of the previous comments that they don't try to talk you into or out of a particular model unless it really makes sense. And they won't try to sell you a Jennings, nor would they allow such an animal to be put on consignment there.

Bring your own ammo if you shoot there.

Overally though I really enjoy my time there, and usually go once or twice a week.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

I went last night with a friend. Got there about 5:45 and shot for about an hour. At one point (about 10 minutes) we were the only two in the range, other than one of the employees checking out a repaired gun. The whole time they only had 5 or 6 lanes running at most.

I kinda like the new ventilation. The wind moving the target gives me something to blame my 'strays' on!! "rlol"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

davefrmmrfy

Post by davefrmmrfy »

I fully intend to sign up for a BulletTrap membership probably mid June for all the reasons mentioned above. If you are looking for an alternative second choice, Garland Public Shooting Range is an outdoor range basically at the end of hwy 190 (George Bush Tollway). Cost is a one time $10 sign up and then $10 per visit. They do have a one second rule and no holster work, but the price is right.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

davefrmmrfy wrote:I fully intend to sign up for a BulletTrap membership probably mid June for all the reasons mentioned above. If you are looking for an alternative second choice, Garland Public Shooting Range is an outdoor range basically at the end of hwy 190 (George Bush Tollway). Cost is a one time $10 sign up and then $10 per visit. They do have a one second rule and no holster work, but the price is right.
They also have a FMJ ban. Many years ago they would allow FMJ. But there were no houses close by. As urban sprawl encroaches, we will see more and more restrictions. With the 1 second rule, bump firing the AK is probably out of the question... "rlol" .

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

The FMJ ban at GPSR is on RIFLE ONLY, not handguns.

Many indoor ranges also ban FMJ on rifle as it will shoot right through the target holders, I do not know if BT does or not.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Return to “Shooting Ranges”