Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 2

Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

Post by Doug.38PR »

Has anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in cypress?
I've never been there. But my Sunday School class is going there to shoot Saturday. Do they have ammunition for sale there? (if so, do they have any in stock like .38 spl, 9mm, .45 acp, .357 magnum. Also are they overboard in prices?)

Do they have eye and ear protection available?

A lot of people coming I happen to know are not regular shooters and my not have a lot of this available

Thanks
Doug

Deans
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

Post by Deans »

I haven't been there since they started CHL classes. But I would buy my supplies and safety equipment elsewhere. Prices would most likely be better and a better selection. May want to check Academy, Carters Country, and Gander Mountain. Hope this helps.

Deans

JediN8

Post by JediN8 »

There is a Gander Mountain, and a Walmart in the imediate area. Hotwells is a good place to shoot handguns and bolt action rifles. Not so good for AR-15s with large magazines. The helpfull "sun screens" over the benches are too low.

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

Not good for AR-15s with high capacity rifles? Why not?

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

Hot Wells is useless for pistol shooting. The last and very last time I was there, I was informed of a "one shot per three second" rule. Since I don't hunt with pistols, that particular rule is useless to me as I've trained from day one to doubletap and it's so ingrained now that I couldn't slow down even when concentrating.

The second time the teenage "rangemaster" called me on it, I simply packed up and left and I won't be back.

I suppose it's good for sighting in a deer rifle. Not much chance of needing to doubletap when dialing in the Leopold. :mrgreen:

Since most of my shooting is pistol, they don't get my custom and it's too bad, because they are fairly close to where I live.

:woohoo
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Wild William

Post by Wild William »

Hot Wells is just fine for handguns (and rifles) as long as you're not some cowboy wantabe dreaming you're at the OK corral facing up with Doc and the Earps. The (Hot Wells) range rules are clearly posted in large letters when you enter and only those who can't read will miss them. Those teenage range masters are well trained and hot dogs who insist on breaking the range rules aren't allowed. Shooting ranges are no place for people with that sort of mentality.
Beer - it's what's for supper.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Not sure if I would call a double tap as "Hot Dogging" it.
CHL since 01/26/09

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

There are many ranges that do not allow any type of real Personal Defense practice.

Marksmanship is the only thing allowed. I am so thankful for the range I have available & am glad to serve there as Safety Officer.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

cdshoot

Post by cdshoot »

Hey Guys, Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Cheryl, my Mom, Dallas and I run Hot Wells, and I thought I would take a few moments to answer questions and explain a few things. We sell ear protection for a $1.00 a pair, safety glasses for $3.00 to $5.00. Our pistol ammo prices (when we can get them) are very competitive. We buy our shotgun shells from Walmart or Academy, prices are decent but not the best, and frankly our rifle ammo price as a rule stinks, we just don’t have a good supplier so I always suggest Walmart or Academy. Thanks for your kind words Jed, am glad you enjoy shooting out here, but I wanted to let you know that the guards you think of as sun guards are actually there to keep people from shooting over the berm. As you folks know it is really building up out here and we take all possible precautions to make sure all shots stay on our property, that is the reason Carter’s, American and us have gone to the no double-taps or rapid-fire rules. Too many people just do not have control enough of their weapons and quite frankly we are fighting for our very survival. Indoor ranges still allow it as they have more control where that bullet is going. TD, I took a little offense at the way you spoke of my Range Officer, I understand your need to double-tap as I fuss at my concealed students all the time to learn how to do it, which is why we offer tactical classes or recommend that they go to Shiloh at least occasionally. However, there are at least 10 signs stating no doubles or rapid on the range before you even start shooting. The fact that you said he had to tell you twice, I feel, says you had no respect for him. I have 24 of the finest young men in Cypress working for me instead of sitting on their butts at home, three of them just this year have become Marines or will be one in the next 2 months. And I am willing to bet that when he talked to you he treated you respectfully and said Sir (although generally we can be testy on the second reminder). So I do not look at them as teenage “rangemasters” I look at them as fine young men whose first job is to keep my customers safe and they do an excellent job and I could not be prouder if they were my own. Believe me when I say we wish we did not have to put these restrictions, we love this business and wish only to have happy customers, and I think we have enough enemies to the gun world without tearing up each other. Thank-you to those that have supported us and anytime you have a complaint I hope you will bring it to me, I will do my best to fix it or explain why I can’t. Thanks for your time. Cheryl 832-279-0145

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Thanks Cheryl, what is the stated time between rounds? I live nearby and have been thinking about doing some pistol shooting their on weekdays. Also, do you have clay launchers?

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Thank you for your first post Cheryl & we hope you do not let be your last.
We need more ladies (do have some great ones) & especially those that can express themselves as well as you did.
LT
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

longtooth wrote:There are many ranges that do not allow any type of real Personal Defense practice.

Marksmanship is the only thing allowed. I am so thankful for the range I have available & am glad to serve there as Safety Officer.
Tell us again where your range is located and when it's open, if you please.

Thanks,

Greg

CainA

Post by CainA »

I have no issues with Hot Wells, as that's where I took my CHL class and Cheryl is a class act and she does a fine job putting on that class as well. In fact, I'm happy that business is booming for her as I've been there on a few recent weekends and the line to check-in has been mighty long. Checking in skeet shooters is, in my mind a little bit of a pain as they have a pond nearby(as well as hwy 290) and don't want pumped up shotgun ammo(understandable). Any range officers(I'll call them kids, 'cuz I'm not a kid) I have had to deal with, mostly skeet pullers have been most respectful and accommodating/helpful.

Cheryl, thanks to you and your team and thanks for your emails that you send out too.

-Cain

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Oldgringo wrote:
longtooth wrote:There are many ranges that do not allow any type of real Personal Defense practice.

Tell us again where your range is located and when it's open, if you please.

Thanks,

Greg
So as not to hijack the thread but still answer your Q Go to.
http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 10&t=24371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

HotWells is the closest range to my front door.

I know Cheryl, Ruth, Dallas, and used to shoot regularly with Donovan on the LEO bay.

These are good folk. Think "Lamar" in Texas history.

Yep: That's the family.

IMHO, we should do everything we can to support all our local ranges. Their survival and ours, as gun owners, is inexorably linked.

Cheryl, thanks for joining the Forum, and I promise to get out to the range more often. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Shooting Ranges”