Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1


frazzled
Member deactivated at member's request
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:47 am

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#16

Post by frazzled » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:00 am

So whats the wait time between shots on the pistol range?
7/23/08 Completed CHL class and fingerprints (Harris County)
7/27/08 Return receipt of completed application
12/31/08 received notice further information requested
1/8/09 sent information
1/18/09 notice application complete on website-certificate issued (yes on a Sunday)
1/23/09 received card


cdshoot
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#17

Post by cdshoot » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 am

Good morning, first may I say thanks for the kind words and support. Lets see if i can answer all questions. Range opens at 9a Mon. thru Sat.- 1P on Sun.. closes @ 8P Mon. thru Thurs.- 6P Fri. thru Sun. If you have the option I would come during the week as the weekends can be crazy. If you are coming to shoot skeet on a weekday call if you are coming before 1p as I do not always have a puller, also you need to be signed up by 4:30p in order to clear the fields by the time league starts or closing time. Please remember to bring 8 or 9 shot, no super speeds. Pistol and rifle we ask for 2 to 3 seconds between shots. We are located between Skinner and Barker-Cypress on 290 on the inbound side in Cypress. p.s. this Sat. there is a league shoot-off on the skeet ranges would not come after 11:00a.
Again, Thank-you. cheryl 832-279-0145


longhornmike
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: katy,texas

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#18

Post by longhornmike » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:02 pm

very nice folks for sure.
cheryl told me about a free class for my wife a few months back , her son conducted it and it was great.

soon i'll be taking my chl class with them .
12/16/09 plastic in hand

User avatar

TDDude
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Northwest Houston

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#19

Post by TDDude » Wed May 06, 2009 8:00 am

Wow, I haven’t checked this thread in awhile and I see that I was justifiably “flamed”. No problem. I can take it; especially when deserved.

I would like to apologize for the tone of my previous post. It came out a bit harder than I had intended. Perhaps we can keep the dialog up a bit. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.
cdshoot wrote:.... but I wanted to let you know that the guards you think of as sun guards are actually there to keep people from shooting over the berm. As you folks know it is really building up out here and we take all possible precautions to make sure all shots stay on our property, that is the reason Carter’s, American and us have gone to the no double-taps or rapid-fire rules. ....
NOW I KNOW!!!! Thanks for letting me know why the 1 per 3 rule exists. It never made much sense but I definitely see your point and I support it. I won’t shoot pistols there anymore but more on that later.
cdshoot wrote:.... TD, I took a little offense at the way you spoke of my Range Officer, I understand your need to double-tap as I fuss at my concealed students all the time to learn how to do it, which is why we offer tactical classes or recommend that they go to Shiloh at least occasionally....
Actually, I don't think I said anything to your range officer at all. I may have replied with an apology although I really don't remember. It is waaay outside my nature to snap back at anyone. I was really more upset and embarrassed with myself because I couldn't do something as "simple" as "shooting slow" and I got busted for it. It wasn’t intentional and I really was trying to not double-tap but it's so engrained into my "muscle memory" that it just wasn't happening.
cdshoot wrote:.... However, there are at least 10 signs stating no doubles or rapid on the range before you even start shooting....
This happened a very long time ago. I don't remember seeing that many signs. BUT, you are correct. Even if there was only one, it is enough and I needed to respect it.
cdshoot wrote:.... The fact that you said he had to tell you twice, I feel, says you had no respect for him.....
I already mentioned why he had to tell me twice and the fact that I didn't talk back pretty much says that I did at least respect his position.

Again, thanks Cheryl, for taking the time to explain the rational behind the 1 per 3 rule. I also thank you for the heads up for Carters & American in as much as they have the same rule.
Wild William wrote:Hot Wells is just fine for handguns (and rifles) as long as you're not some cowboy wantabe dreaming you're at the OK corral facing up with Doc and the Earps.
Now, this is funny. Dr. Ignatius Piazza, Masaad Ayoob, Clint Smith, and everyone else I’ve read up on all pretty much say to shoot until the threat stops but at a minimum, double taps are the rule, especially if you have one of those pea shootin’ 9mms like I got. So, if that makes me a cowboy then “Yee Hawwwww”, sign me up!!!! By the way, bad guys come in pairs so if a 2nd target can be setup, do it and double tap both of them.

Anyone who’s ever been in a sport, or learned a musical instrument or the like knows that it takes a lot of practice to master anything. In sports, a good coach will spend most of the practice on fundamentals doing drills. In music, the student is taught to practice scales over and over again. The reason for all of this is so the student will develop muscle memory for the basics. When the musician is performing a recital, the drills mean that he doesn’t have to think of the music note for note because it’s all there and it simply comes out. The baseball pitcher doesn’t have to think about how he’s going to throw a fastball because his body can do it no other way.

The key is practice. People will perform just like they practice. If mistakes are happening during practice and the coach has not corrected them during practice, it is folly to think that those mistakes will be corrected on game day. It’s just not gonna happen. Nerves will kick in and the body will default to what was drilled no matter how smart the person thinks they are.

Cheryl is correct. If you carry a pistol, get some training and learn how to do it right. THEN, find a place that lets you practice because shooting is the same way as learning to pitch a baseball. In a stressful situation, the person defending himself or herself is going to shoot/perform exactly how they practiced. If that shooter is not able to put multiple shots on target when needed and without having to think about each step other than the decision to actually shoot, then I doubt the outcome will be pleasant. I know that for myself, if I spend a lot of time shooting slow, then I’ll lose the option of being able to shoot fast instinctively. But, that’s just me I’m the one I have to worry about and that’s why I can’t shoot at Hot Wells.

I don’t practice my double/triple tap drills because I think it’s “cool”. I practice that way because it’s tactically sound. I do have a couple slow fire drills for working on concentration, trigger control, peripheral vision and precision but I always like to end my sessions with the “tactical” type drills.

Again, thank you Cheryl/cdshoot for taking the time to explain things. I apologize for my flippant attitude in putting down your business. It was extremely insensitive of me and uncalled for. It shouldn’t have happened and it won't happen again.

I do wish you all the best.

TdDude.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."
Image


Pete92FS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Houston

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#20

Post by Pete92FS » Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am

Classy apology and explanation.
CHL since 01/26/09
NRA


T3hK1w1
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Tyler

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#21

Post by T3hK1w1 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:47 am

Indeed. Hot Wells is a great place to shoot, and Cheryl and her family run a great business. Our family has been going there for close to 18 years now.
Ban guns. Go ahead. If an illiterate Afghani blacksmith with hand tools, a charcoal fire, and a donkey can turn out a full-auto copy of an AK-47 in a week, how long do you think it will take Joe Texan with a metal shop in his garage to do the same? -Shamelessly taken from The Lawdog Files


bat0man007
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 am

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#22

Post by bat0man007 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:13 pm

been once, it was crowded

User avatar

USA1
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7412
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Tomball ,Texas
Contact:

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#23

Post by USA1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 pm

when the weather is nice , thats my regular place.. :coolgleamA:
when its too hot , i go to Shiloh ...love the A/C while shooting, plus you can rapid fire there :fire
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer


Sigirl
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:58 am
Location: Greenville, TX

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#24

Post by Sigirl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 pm

:fire Hotwells is a great range to shoot. I was a regular for about two years, not anymore because I moved to North Texas, but I really miss Hotwells. I don't know of any other range that offers the tactical shooting classes and then shooting with the LEO on their range at Hotwells. I learned so much from shooting with them.
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

User avatar

USA1
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7412
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Tomball ,Texas
Contact:

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#25

Post by USA1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Sigirl wrote::fire Hotwells is a great range to shoot. I was a regular for about two years, not anymore because I moved to North Texas, but I really miss Hotwells. I don't know of any other range that offers the tactical shooting classes and then shooting with the LEO on their range at Hotwells. I learned so much from shooting with them.
:iagree: Image
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer


john79
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Worst experience ever!

#26

Post by john79 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Worst experience ever! :mad5 Waited over 2 hours for skeet range even though it wasn't busy. They said I would go right to shoot when I paid. Got out there another round was ahead of me (ok). Then painters starting walking around field so had to close that range, then said I would should at next range and be next. Turns out they had other people waiting. half the fields were not being used even though the painters were not on or near them. 2 hours later, I complained at the main building where you pay. No concern by staff at all. They did refund my money. They said they have no control over what goes on there. How can you not know and have control over what is going on at a shooting range? Hard to believe. They offered no regard for my inconvenience of wasting hours, only to say stay and wait or get a raincheck, for which I told them to give my money back. I will never go there again. Over all I lost a total of 4 hours, including travel, waiting, and arguing, to end up not getting to do whatI had looked forward to doing. I will never go back there again.

User avatar

jamcgowan
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:03 am
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#27

Post by jamcgowan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:03 pm

I have never been to Hotwells, but I have spoken with them on the phone. I called to inquire about bringing my students there for the proficiency exam. They were very short with me and told me in no uncertain terms that the do not allow "independent" CHL instructors to hold classes on their range. :nono: It's their range and they can do what they want. :tiphat:

I am posting this only to make the membership here aware of their policy as explained to me. I hope that it will change in the future. I had a class of 15 paying students who also would have been potential ongoing customers. :roll: Just saying.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

User avatar

Skiprr
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6458
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Outskirts of Houston

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#28

Post by Skiprr » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:09 am

jamcgowan wrote:I have never been to Hotwells, but I have spoken with them on the phone. I called to inquire about bringing my students there for the proficiency exam. They were very short with me and told me in no uncertain terms that the do not allow "independent" CHL instructors to hold classes on their range. :nono: It's their range and they can do what they want. :tiphat:

I am posting this only to make the membership here aware of their policy as explained to me. I hope that it will change in the future. I had a class of 15 paying students who also would have been potential ongoing customers. :roll: Just saying.
"I have never been to Hotwells, but I have spoken with them on the phone." Therein lies the rub. If you'd ever been to Hot Wells, that policy should be no surprise. Their primary pistol range has fixed lanes with set target distances, starting at seven yards. To shoot at 10 yards, you have to physically switch lanes; ditto to shoot at 15 yards, etc. It simply isn't possible to conduct a CHL proficiency test there.

To the east of the primary pistol lanes is a smaller range that can be used only under direct supervision of the pistol instructors at Hot Wells, Guardian Defensive Solutions, or by preregistered, active LEOs. This range is narrow, has no defined lanes, and allows rapid-fire, draw-from-holster, and carbine shooting. The range policy means that, in order for an independent CHL instructor to conduct a class, not only would one or more Guardian Defensive Solutions instructors have to be present (and paid) but it would mean no GDS classes could be scheduled at the same time, and it would mean closing the tactical range for that period of time to the approved, and paying, LEOs...and LEOs from federal agencies to Jersey Village PD shoot there often.

Range policies like this are not unusual. Whether privately owned or co-op/membership owned, each range has its own rules, policies, and procedures. In Hot Wells' case, its physical layout is limiting. Even if they wanted to allow independent instructors to conduct the CHL proficiency test there, it really isn't a practical option.

Hot Wells probably gets a number of those calls every month, and if they were short with you on the phone...now you may have a better understanding of why.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

jamcgowan
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:03 am
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#29

Post by jamcgowan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Skiprr wrote:
jamcgowan wrote:I have never been to Hotwells, but I have spoken with them on the phone. I called to inquire about bringing my students there for the proficiency exam. They were very short with me and told me in no uncertain terms that the do not allow "independent" CHL instructors to hold classes on their range. :nono: It's their range and they can do what they want. :tiphat:

I am posting this only to make the membership here aware of their policy as explained to me. I hope that it will change in the future. I had a class of 15 paying students who also would have been potential ongoing customers. :roll: Just saying.
"I have never been to Hotwells, but I have spoken with them on the phone." Therein lies the rub. If you'd ever been to Hot Wells, that policy should be no surprise. Their primary pistol range has fixed lanes with set target distances, starting at seven yards. To shoot at 10 yards, you have to physically switch lanes; ditto to shoot at 15 yards, etc. It simply isn't possible to conduct a CHL proficiency test there.

To the east of the primary pistol lanes is a smaller range that can be used only under direct supervision of the pistol instructors at Hot Wells, Guardian Defensive Solutions, or by preregistered, active LEOs. This range is narrow, has no defined lanes, and allows rapid-fire, draw-from-holster, and carbine shooting. The range policy means that, in order for an independent CHL instructor to conduct a class, not only would one or more Guardian Defensive Solutions instructors have to be present (and paid) but it would mean no GDS classes could be scheduled at the same time, and it would mean closing the tactical range for that period of time to the approved, and paying, LEOs...and LEOs from federal agencies to Jersey Village PD shoot there often.

Range policies like this are not unusual. Whether privately owned or co-op/membership owned, each range has its own rules, policies, and procedures. In Hot Wells' case, its physical layout is limiting. Even if they wanted to allow independent instructors to conduct the CHL proficiency test there, it really isn't a practical option.

Hot Wells probably gets a number of those calls every month, and if they were short with you on the phone...now you may have a better understanding of why.
Thanks for the clarification... Wouldn't it have been nice for the owner to have explained this to me while on the phone...? ;-) Everyone has a bad day but when providing a service to the public, presenting a good face is vital, even on bad days. :thumbs2:

Thanks again...
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member


JBSr
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

#30

Post by JBSr » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 pm

I am a CHL/LTC Instructor, but I am also ADSI certified. I have my own private range but I have yet to build a covered shelter/roof to complement my long rifle area up to 1000 yards and my pistol/shotgun range to 50 yards. At my private range, I have no restrictions as to firearms or ammunition, where tactical deployment in a self-defense posture is permitted.

However, I brought 2 students to Hot Wells today for some basic pistol instruction (some guy identified himself as the tactical instructor and wasn't very happy I was teaching 2 students at his range; I understand it is a business) because of the anticipated thunderstorms. Besides their "tactical instructor", a young range officer, not sure if qualified, was very rude to one of my students.

As for most indoor ranges, they cater for the most part to a non-tactical clientele, so restrictions are understandable. I would suggest however a greater customer service orientation. The youngsters probably need to be "coached up" just a little.

Post Reply

Return to “Shooting Ranges”