Golden Triangle area

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Golden Triangle area

Post by MoJo »

The Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont has something for everyone. Dues are $40.00 + one time $40.00 initiation fee. Check this link - - - http://gunrange.org/

I am the IDPA match director and invite any intrested to come try IDPA.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

dws1117
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dws1117 »

looks like a nice lace to shoot.

If only we could have a nice and versitile range like that in the Houston area. North side would be even better.

Topic author
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

dws1117 wrote:looks like a nice lace to shoot.

If only we could have a nice and versitile range like that in the Houston area. North side would be even better.
You might check out PSC in Pearland they have an awesome facility!!!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

GrandmasterB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GrandmasterB »

PSC is my "home range" and I love it! This is the best range I have ever joined. Being able to practice drawing from a holster and setting up my own target scenarios is wonderful.

For a fairly inexpensive place just to get some trigger time in, I sometimes go to the Eastex indoor range on norht 59 during my lunch hour. It is only $7 and you can shoot your reloads if you like. It's not the greatest place, but it is cheap and not too restrictive.
Romans 5:8

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

On the North side of town, we are starting to get a pretty good facility at Thunder Gun Range on FM 1314. We have a lot of work to do yet, but it is getting better and the group of shooters is growing. We have an active IDPA group that shoots on Wednesday evening, the second Saturday of the month, and every Sunday. Check it out.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I had heard that Thunder was affectionately know as "Thunder Dump". No offense intended. A good friend of mine went out there once and said that it really sucked. This was some months ago. It seems as if it has changed. I may have to check it out.

tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

I belong to two ranges: PSC and ImpactZone.

PSC (Pearland Shooting Club) is an excellent NRA range. Nice clean facilities, running water, great club leadership, ample parking, covered shooting areas in case of rain. My only complaint is that the workdays don't seem to be well advertised far enough in advance so I can always be there. My wife is also an associate member there so she can practice without me.

Impact Zone (http://community-2.webtv.net/impactzone ... eHomepage/) is a new range Phil Oxley built out by Brookshire. At IZ you can do 2 and 3 gun work. The facilities are very "rustic". Go VERY self-contained. A number of the Houston IDPA clubs now hold matches there. Membership is granted solely by Phil. He's a great guy. His email is impactzone@mail.ev1.net

George Defenbaugh

bobrogers

Post by bobrogers »

"Thunder Dump"? I am glad you said "No offense intended.". I am the Match Director for Wednesday night IDPA shoots and would not call it a "dump", "affectionately" or otherwize. We have made great efforts to bring the IDPA bays along in the last year, especially the last few months.
The range owner is doing a lot of work to keep the range up: road work, leveled the parking lot, is putting in an indoor archery range, and has renovated the main building.

Granted, if you are used to PSC, which has been around for a long time and has many members, Thunder may look a little "country". I love PSC and shoot the Saturday IDPA matches there. I would join but it is about 60 miles from my house. A little too far to go for an hour of fun after work.

Why not come out some Wednesday night or for the 2nd Saturday of the month IDPA shoot and form your own opinion?
Bob Rogers
--------------------
Glocks 19, 21, 30, 34 (2) gotta luv em!
AR15 DPMS
IDPA
GSSF
Master of Space and Time

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

bobrogers:

I didn't wait that long. I went out for about 2 hours Thursday morning. I can see where my friend had been less than thrilled with the facility. But, I also saw for where you can tell that a lot of improvement has been made. I was quite pleased with my experience and will be returning.

The staff was very pleasent. When I arrived I was helped out by a young man. He was very polite and helpful. I also met a man who was introduced as the owner. We conversed for about half an hour. He was telling me of all the improvements thet had been made and future developments. There is a very nice video system.

I didn't use the pistol range, but was quite comfortable with the rifle range. Other than the chicken wire used for holding targets needing replacement, which is normal upkeep, my shooting session was good. I liked the laid back feeling that was there and the attention to safety. Unlike other ranges in the Spring area, I felt very comfortable there.

So, I should apologise for making a judgement based on second observation without going out and seeing for myself.

Thunder in not a Dump!

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

People really pay 250.00 to join Impactzone? WOW! Look at his website and read the rules. Newbee's don't seem to be welcome at all. Just a shack and a school bus.

My money's on a place 30 minutes down the road from there. It's about 15 minutes north of Bellville. The name of the place is Austin County rifle and pistol club. If you join in January it's 50.00 a year. It's cement and covered and targets are included in the price. You can shoot pistol and they have a rifle range that includes 100, 200 and 300 yard shooting. All shooters are welcome to join.
Last edited by one eyed fatman on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobrogers

Post by bobrogers »

dws1117:

Glad you decided to make your own opinion. Come on out and shoot IDPA with us on a Wednesday night. Get there about 6:00pm to sign up and we start shooting at 6:30. We have lights in 3 of the 4 pistol bays and run 6 COFs a night.
Bob Rogers
--------------------
Glocks 19, 21, 30, 34 (2) gotta luv em!
AR15 DPMS
IDPA
GSSF
Master of Space and Time

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I just might come out to observe if thats ok.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

dws1117 wrote:I just might come out to observe if thats ok.
I already tried that. It ain't no fun. Jump in with both feet and shoot. They will walk you thru it. Just do it.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”