Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range opened north of McKinney

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range opened north of McKinney

Post by 2farnorth »

Re: Jacobia Plain Shooting range (1k yards)

Edit
Report this post

Postby 2farnorth » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 am
Wow. Sure going to miss the Top Gun Range that was close to me here in Leonard. Had a chat with Terry (owner) of what was Top Gun and he had some very valid reasons for shutting it down. Some of those reasons would be a "shame on us" as shooters. A few undisciplined shooters do make life worse for the rest of us. With what he said I can understand why Jacobs Plain would have such high membership fees and not open to the public.
Above is a quote from me in another thread. Terry never said anything about court or other external problems. There are some houses being built about 2 miles NW of the range. Terry said that he basically got tired of it. 80 - 90 hours a week to operate and maintain the range. Insurance fees going through the roof. But the worst of it was that there were too many unruly spray and pray shooters shooting full AR/Ak mags in a few seconds with few rounds being on target.
Terry is a professional photographer and is doing well. The range was a hobby that grew into an over bearing business.
N5PNZ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range CLOSED north of McKinney

Post by C-dub »

2farnorth wrote:
Re: Jacobia Plain Shooting range (1k yards)

Edit
Report this post

Postby 2farnorth » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 am
Wow. Sure going to miss the Top Gun Range that was close to me here in Leonard. Had a chat with Terry (owner) of what was Top Gun and he had some very valid reasons for shutting it down. Some of those reasons would be a "shame on us" as shooters. A few undisciplined shooters do make life worse for the rest of us. With what he said I can understand why Jacobs Plain would have such high membership fees and not open to the public.
Above is a quote from me in another thread. Terry never said anything about court or other external problems. There are some houses being built about 2 miles NW of the range. Terry said that he basically got tired of it. 80 - 90 hours a week to operate and maintain the range. Insurance fees going through the roof. But the worst of it was that there were too many unruly spray and pray shooters shooting full AR/Ak mags in a few seconds with few rounds being on target.
Terry is a professional photographer and is doing well. The range was a hobby that grew into an over bearing business.
Well, if that's the case then good for him.

Stinks a little for others, but if he's happier and less stressed then that's great!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

As members at the time, we were told initially that the county fire marshal was requiring a "Certificate of occupancy" (occupancy of what wasn't clear, as the only structure was falling down, and obviously not being used).

Then later there were other regulatory issues, change requirements, etc. until the owners gave up and returned everyone's membership dues. There may have also been complains from some not really close neighbors (probably driving the fire marshal issues).

Based on the posts in this thread, these events must have been about 6 years ago. They were only operational for a few months, and I only got to shoot there ONCE! :grumble :cryin
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

sjfcontrol wrote:As members at the time, we were told initially that the county fire marshal was requiring a "Certificate of occupancy" (occupancy of what wasn't clear, as the only structure was falling down, and obviously not being used).

Then later there were other regulatory issues, change requirements, etc. until the owners gave up and returned everyone's membership dues. There may have also been complains from some not really close neighbors (probably driving the fire marshal issues).

Based on the posts in this thread, these events must have been about 6 years ago. They were only operational for a few months, and I only got to shoot there ONCE! :grumble :cryin
There are a few other threads where this range is mentioned. I just thought it somewhat appropriate to resurrect this one because it talks about it being opened and I thought I'd let everyone know about it being closed. It was open for several years. I shot there last year, apparently only weeks before it was closed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

C-dub wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:As members at the time, we were told initially that the county fire marshal was requiring a "Certificate of occupancy" (occupancy of what wasn't clear, as the only structure was falling down, and obviously not being used).

There are a few other threads where this range is mentioned. I just thought it somewhat appropriate to resurrect this one because it talks about it being opened and I thought I'd let everyone know about it being closed. It was open for several years. I shot there last year, apparently only weeks before it was closed.
If thats true, then the original owners must have sold it and the new owners reopened it. At least I know the original owners were interested in selling. Sure wish I'd known...
Never Forget. Image

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Never mind, I'm thinking of Red Zone Ranch - which was in the Melissa? Area. They returned my money in May of 2013. I apologize for the confusion.
Never Forget. Image

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

sjfcontrol wrote:Never mind, I'm thinking of Red Zone Ranch - which was in the Melissa? Area. They returned my money in May of 2013. I apologize for the confusion.
:lol:

I was wondering what you were talking about, but didn't think it was worth asking about or getting into it. :lol: ;-)

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

sjfcontrol wrote:Never mind, I'm thinking of Red Zone Ranch - which was in the Melissa? Area. They returned my money in May of 2013. I apologize for the confusion.
Red Zone ranch was shut down by either local or Federal overbearing environmental bureaucRATS - details escape me at the moment. Phil Ryan / Texas Concealed Carry Institute still teaches using a range in Prosper.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

Both ranges refunded memberships dues
. Red zone opened briefly. Top gun range was open for many years
I am sad to see it closed. It was well run place.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Gopher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Gopher »

Top Gun was sold to The Texas Tinhorns, a cowboy action group.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

Unfortunately, there is no long range shooting.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Gopher wrote:Top Gun was sold to The Texas Tinhorns, a cowboy action group.
I've ridden by there twice in the past month and thought that was the same place. I noticed the cowboy action shooting sign, but didn't have the time to stop in and check it out.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”