Can I carry into a shooting range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ffemt300
Posts in topic: 6

Can I carry into a shooting range?

Post by ffemt300 »

Going to the range tomorrow and didnt want to break any rules. I plan on shooting my carry weapon and wondered if I should just throw it in the range bag or just carry in.

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can I carry into a shooting range?

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Call the range before you go; they all have their own rules.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

ffemt300 wrote:Going to the range tomorrow and didnt want to break any rules. I plan on shooting my carry weapon and wondered if I should just throw it in the range bag or just carry in.
Planning to rent a gun? If you don't carry one in, what are you going to shoot?

Seriously, the ranges I go to don't mind unconcealing at the shooting line, then changing ammo, and shooting as usual. But not drawing to shoot. You need to check with the range you plan to utilize.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

My range op said that they just assume that everyone is carrying. No need to ask or tell...just unholster and unload in the area that is marked off for that activity.

alvins

Post by alvins »

i bet the texas city gun range would throw you out for carrying. they freak out if you dont have every single gun locked open.I think they go a little over the top with it.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Long way from Angelina County but open carry on the range here is good.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Teamless »

since you are in Dickinson, I assume you are going to The Arms Room or Clear Creek range.
For either, you need to have the cleared and in your range bag.
For both of these, drawing from concealment is not allowed.

If you are going to PSC (with a member), carrying is allowed and drawing from concealment is a daily practice for us
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

leftyonly

Post by leftyonly »

As pointed out all ranges have their own rules....

For example, at Carter's Country (n. Houston), they tag your gun when you check in. It must be cleared and locked back when presented to the attendant to wrap a small tag around the trigger guard. They do NOT have a clearing station in the store, and thus expect you to have cleared it outside before coming in....

Others around have no such policy and I clear it and reload with range ammo at the shooter's station after checking in....

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I've been lurking here awhile and I've learned a lot, and this is a really fascinating question to me. Perhaps I'm easily fascinated. :lol:

I've carried concealed to my range a couple times. I've never asked if it's OK. I carefully "un-conceal" when I reach the shooting lane, and I don't practice drawing. When I'm finished, I carefully re-conceal before leaving the lane area. No one has ever said anything to me.

If I understand things correctly, if you have a CHL, then unless the range posts a 30.06 sign (why would they?), they can't stop you from carrying, but I suppose it's against the law, technically, for you to un-conceal at the range. Moreover, there was a thread running here awhile back about someone carrying concealed into another's house and then un-concealing to show his buddy his gun. I believe the general consensus was that you can't un-conceal, even if your buddy tells you it's OK in his house. What's the difference between being at your buddy's and being at a range?

Does this mean it's technically against the law to un-conceal at the range and shoot, regardless of what the range owner says, and that if you shoot a gun at the range, it can't be your carry gun?

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

FragFan (must be a TCU fan, huh?)
FrogFan wrote:If I understand things correctly, if you have a CHL, then unless the range posts a 30.06 sign (why would they?), they can't stop you from carrying, but I suppose it's against the law, technically, for you to un-conceal at the range. ... Does this mean it's technically against the law to un-conceal at the range and shoot, regardless of what the range owner says, and that if you shoot a gun at the range, it can't be your carry gun?
I think you're looking for gremlins that aren't there. You'd need to show me, in black letter law, where it says that you can't unconceal to shoot your EDC at a range before I'd believe it to be unlawful. Generally, you can unconceal at home or on property that you control - perhaps it can be said that, for the time you're renting the lane, that you control that little piece of property? I don't know, but suggest like the numerous others have suggested, just ask at the range where you shoot about their policies.

I shoot regularly at Shoot Smart, a commercial range in north Fort Worth. Their policy is that a CHL can unconceal at the lane, download the carry ammo, upload the range ammo and blast away, reversing the process when you're done. Normally, that happens without anyone being the wiser... except, for once in a while. Last time I was there, two ladies were shooting in the lane next to me, and when I went to holster my PPS after shooting it, apparently I raised my shirt a little bit more than usual. One of the ladies, the one obviously getting the shooting instruction from the other, asked in a voice loud enough to be heard several lanes away"Is it OK if he carries his gun, like, on a holster all the time?" The instructing lady calmly replied. "Yes, if YOU get your CHL you can do that, too."

Again, don't look for gremlins that aren't there: remember the law tells you what you can't do, not what you can. Ask at the range so you'll know their policies.

Wayne
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

The range I go to isn't a range; or maybe it is.

It's a hunting lease and it turns into a range kinda, but Sept 1st it won't be a range because it's hunting season for some bird ... later it will be a range again after hunting season

It's outdoors, there's piles of dirt and some places to staple or clothespin up your targets or paper plates and a covered carport thingy with some tables and some signs saying to pick up your brass and help keep it clean or something.

Only once was anyone else there, a guy sighting in a rifle long range on the right while we shot pistols to the left on the short range.

For the last 5 years ... I have to go free as a guest of a member, and so I could go every day since he's retired too, I'm trying to actually JOIN the club, it's $12.00 a year, but I hear they aren't accepting members right now, but one just moved away so ...

oh, yeah, they don't care if I open carry or unconcealed or whatever ,,,, there's no range manager or boss or whatever you call it. It's a big field of acres with dirt berms and stuff; don't shoot any neighbors cows and you're ok.

It may or may not be legal to open carry or intentionally unconceal there, the cow won't tell.

I like the country... $12 a year .... no limits on guns ...types of guns.. time ... :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

FrogFan wrote: if you have a CHL, then unless the range posts a 30.06 sign (why would they?), they can't stop you from carrying
the 30.06 prohibits you from carrying, however the CHL laws about "intentionally failing to conceal" come in to play.
You intentionally fail to conceal with you pull it from the holster to use it at the range.

you are enterring a very gray area here, if a cop wanted to be a pain in your butt, you could be arrested, and prosecuted, rightfully so, even if you shouldn't be prosecuted due to being at the range.
League City, TX

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I think you're looking for gremlins that aren't there.
No, not at all. I'm just wondering what's legal and what's not, and trying to relate it to what seem to be relevant discussions that have appeared here. As I said, I've done the same thing you have when you go to the range.
you are enterring a very gray area here, if a cop wanted to be a pain in your butt, you could be arrested, and prosecuted, rightfully so, even if you shouldn't be prosecuted due to being at the range
This is exactly why I find the question fascinating. It seems unlikely to ever happen, but I certainly don't want to be arrested for un-concealing at a range, whether the owner tells me it's OK or not. On the other hand, it sure is more convenient to carry in, un-conceal, shoot, conceal, and carry out.

And yes, I'm a TCU fan. I put two daughters through TCU and my funding for retirement has suffered accordingly!

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

FrogFan wrote:It seems unlikely to ever happen
True, but think about this
It is unlikely to ever need to use your weapon defensively, but you still carry your weapon for safety,
So for safety, why not follow the letter of the law and not intentionally break the law?
League City, TX

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Teamless wrote:True, but think about this
It is unlikely to ever need to use your weapon defensively, but you still carry your weapon for safety,
So for safety, why not follow the letter of the law and not intentionally break the law?
Sounds correct to me. Don't carry a gun you intend to shoot at the range. I won't be doing that in the future!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”