Just Glocks in Copperas Cove (Coryell County)

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Mama Abby
Posts in topic: 2

Just Glocks in Copperas Cove (Coryell County)

Post by Mama Abby »

I have been going to Just Glocks range in Copperas Cove for about 8 mos. It costs $15 for a 2 hour limit, but never had someone tell me my time was up. I called there to see if there was a minimum age for kids. The employee said kids start shooting at 5 or 6 in Texas. There are no RSO's. It has 6 lanes. It is partially indoor with fans, and you are shooting into a hillside. I have taken my 15yo son, but my 10yo daughter is not strong enough to fire my .357. I have yet to encounter someone unsafe there even though it is unsupervised. There is also a rifle range there that is separate from the handgun range, but I don't know how many ppl can be in there at the same time.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Just Glocks in Copperas Cove (Coryell County)

Post by C-dub »

Sounds like a nice little place. If you or your daughter don't want to wait for her to be strong enough for the .357 it might be time for a .22 handgun. My own 10y daughter, last year, was ready. She had fired several different .22 handguns, rentals and borrowed, and ultimately chose the Colt 1911-22, made by Walther and imported by Uramex. It has been a very reliable handgun that we both enjoy shooting. Two friends of mine have the Sig 1911-22 and both of them say theirs is finicky and really liked the Colt when I let them shoot it.

I like it because it is very similar if not practically identical to a .45 1911, rather than the Ruger Mark series handguns. I like those too and they shoot very well, but they are different. I liked the idea of starting my daughter off on something that she could later transition to in a larger caliber with little or no difference. I took the same approach with our rifle choice in the S&W M&P15-22, but I digress.

Your daughter might also enjoy a .22 revolver. Many here have advocated starting a new and especially young shooter out with a .22 to develop good shooting habits. When starting out with a larger caliber, even the 9mm, a smaller or young shooter can develop bad habits that might be difficult to overcome later in life. My daughter has fired a 9mm and liked it a little. It was only 6 rounds and even though nothing bad happened I decided it was still just a tad too much for her. She hasn't asked about it once and enjoys shooting her .22's.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Mama Abby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mama Abby »

I started shooting when I was 16, and it was with a 22. I agree it's the best to start a new shooter on something other than a 357, but I don't own one and I don't know any other gun owners out here. With ammo (and money) being so hard to come by, I have just tried to stick with one caliber and slowly build up a decent reserves (up to 800 rds now). I usually practice with 38 spcl, do you think that would be too much for a new shooter? If there are any Ft Hood/Killeen/Copperas Cove/Lampasas members on here it would be great to get to know you!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I guess it might depend on the .38 special. I have only fired one and won't ever do it again with that one unless I'm extremely desperate and that's my only weapon. It was a .38 snubbie with a small grip that hurt more than the .44mag blackhawk. Maybe not, but I thought so back then.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

Mama Abby wrote:I started shooting when I was 16, and it was with a 22. ... I usually practice with 38 spcl, do you think that would be too much for a new shooter?
A .38 SPCL round is still plenty loud with lotsa flash and kick. Think what might have happened if you were given that combo to shoot for the first time, instead of your .22, and you were 10?

If it were me, I would not let my kids/grand kids try my Model 10 4" .38 special until they was able to master the .22 and had the body mass to control the .38 when it went off. But that's just me. My grand kids are young enough that I've still got a few years to worry about the taking the granddaughter to the range on her 8th birthday (that's the lower age limit at the range where I shoot most of the time).
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Mama Abby wrote:I agree it's the best to start a new shooter on something other than a 357, but I don't own one and I don't know any other gun owners out here.
I don't live in your area, but I'd be willing to bet that other forum members do, and that some of them have a .22 pistol. I would further bet that at least a couple of them would be willing to meet you there and let you and your daughter shoot their .22. I know if ya'all were up here in NE Tarrant county, I'd be happy to oblige. I'd bring my wife so that you'd feel safer about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Mama Abby wrote:I agree it's the best to start a new shooter on something other than a 357, but I don't own one and I don't know any other gun owners out here.
I don't live in your area, but I'd be willing to bet that other forum members do, and that some of them have a .22 pistol. I would further bet that at least a couple of them would be willing to meet you there and let you and your daughter shoot their .22. I know if ya'all were up here in NE Tarrant county, I'd be happy to oblige. I'd bring my wife so that you'd feel safer about it.
Location is the only reason I hadn't already offered for my daughter and I to meet them and let her share her guns.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”