DFW area - wheelchair accessible handgun range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dierdorf_237
Posts in topic: 4

DFW area - wheelchair accessible handgun range?

Post by dierdorf_237 »

Hi everyone, first time poster here and relatively new handgun owner. My girlfriend is in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury. Does anyone know of any wheelchair accessible handgun ranges in the area? My primary concern is that the height of the counters (at the range I usually go to) is too tall to shoot from a seated position.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DFW area - wheelchair accessible handgun range?

Post by Pawpaw »

Ammo Depot is about 15 miles east of Ray Hubbard, just off I-30. Their benches are much lower than other ranges I've been to. I took my daughter there, who had to sit in a folding chair, due to back pain. She did just fine that way and enjoyed herself.

It has a semi-indoor range. It's enclosed on three sides, but the far end is open to the berm. If it's cold, they have a space heater they'll fire up.

Great bunch of guys, too!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Frisco gun club.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

It's nice they have the ramps but the benches look pretty high for seated handgunnery.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

dierdorf_237 wrote:Hi everyone, first time poster here and relatively new handgun owner. My girlfriend is in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury. Does anyone know of any wheelchair accessible handgun ranges in the area? My primary concern is that the height of the counters (at the range I usually go to) is too tall to shoot from a seated position.

I would think that younger [shorter] shooters might have the same issue.

Can she bring some cushions to raise herself to the height of the benches?
NRA Endowment Member

discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville has one wheelchair accessible lane. It's wider than the rest of the lanes, and the bench is lower to accommodate wheelchair heights.
Weekend shooting there may be an issue, as I believe it still gets pretty crowded.
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

discoqueen wrote:Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville has one wheelchair accessible lane. It's wider than the rest of the lanes, and the bench is lower to accommodate wheelchair heights.
Weekend shooting there may be an issue, as I believe it still gets pretty crowded.
+1 on Eagle. I had a friend in a chair there a couple of weeks ago and it was great. Lane #12 makes it easy. All of the lanes have low benches but having the wider one makes moving back and forth more comfortable.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Shoot Smart is 100% ADA compliant, and the staff will help you out.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

rthillusa

Post by rthillusa »

Last time I was at Bullet Trap in Plano, the guy in the next lane was in a wheel chair, so I guess you can add them to the list. I didn't pay a lot of attention to him, but the bench in my lane seemed a little high for shooting from a sitting position. However he seemed to be doing OK in his lane so maybe it was equipped differently. Might be worth a call if they are in your part of the metroplex.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

jbarn wrote:Shoot Smart is 100% ADA compliant, and the staff will help you out.
Just to amplify jbarn's report, the north Fort Worth location of Shoot Smart has 10 lanes that have benches (which may or not be low enough for you,) but it also has six lanes that have no bench at all, but do have a rolling cart that serve as a moveable bench, if needed. I've seen several folks shooting from a wheelchair, and have watched as staff did everything they could to make the shooter's time there worthwhile.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
dierdorf_237
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dierdorf_237 »

Wow, it sounds like there are a lot of options! Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm looking forward to taking her to the range in the near future.

:cheers2:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Any gun range constructed after 1993 would need to have ramps, walking surfaces and benches accessible to a person in a wheel chair. Any existing gun range built before that time would need to make "reasonable accommodations" to a person in a wheel chair. For example building ramps and removing benches. Most businesses understand that if someone in a wheel chair comes in, they should assign an employee to assist with any problems that person might have in using their facility.

I would suggest visiting the most convenient gun range to where you are located and see if it works for you. If not let us know.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

dierdorf_237 wrote:Hi everyone, first time poster here and relatively new handgun owner. My girlfriend is in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury. Does anyone know of any wheelchair accessible handgun ranges in the area? My primary concern is that the height of the counters (at the range I usually go to) is too tall to shoot from a seated position.

Can you post a range review as it relates to wheelchair accessibility, please, if you two end up going somewhere?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”