Full Armor Gun Range - Houston

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
owwo
Posts in topic: 1

Full Armor Gun Range - Houston

Post by owwo »

Just finished my CHL class from CHLnow.com (shout-out to Defensive & Concealed Guns on Memorial Dr.) and went to Full Armor for the shooting portion/qualification. First time I've shot in an indoor range, and it was pretty nice. 100% fresh air supply and not recycled (guess most indoor ranges recycle their air?). For the Houstonians, Full Armor Gun Range is located in a strip center off of the Katy Freeway, between Dairy Ashford and Kirkwood (Prince's Hamburgers at the corner of strip center). Not affiliated with the gun range (or CHLnow.com), just sharing my experience.

psijac

Re: Full Armor Gun Range - Houston

Post by psijac »

I went to Full Armor because the plungertube fell off my 1911. The had my gun for eight weeks and did no work on it. When i asked for it back it took the guy 30 minutes to find it because the young lady that checked it in had it labeled as a CZ or some other not my pistol kind of gun.

Overall impressions. Store is clean and personnel are polite enough.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

I visited Full Armor Gun Range for the first time this past weekend. It was a basic 25 yard indoor gun range with electric target tracks. The price was $15 / shooter / hr. They didn't care how many guns I brought. They allowed rifles up to .223, but I didn't ask about anything bigger. The people were friendly.

Their quirky rule (every range has at least one) was absolutely no ferrous metal ammo. Brass and lead, OK. No steel core, no steel case, etc. They enforced this rule by passing a magnet over every box of ammunition I had. They also forbade magazines containing ammunition in them presumably b/c the magnet test wouldn't work through a magazine. I was given the option of unloading the mags, leaving the loaded mags with them, or leaving the loaded mags in the car. The implementation of this rule was a near complete empty and search of my range bags. As I usually travel with loaded guns, in holsters, in my range bag, it was uncomfortable when they suggested that I present said guns for inspection in the store surrounded by people. I think handling a loaded gun in the middle of any store is poor form. In addition, they made a mess of my organized range bags dumping the contents of boxes and sprinkling tools and accessories among boxes of ammo.

Full Armor Gun Range has a website. It defaults to https (good). Their location and hours are easy to find on their website. It is not easy to find their pricing on their website. They do not have their range rules on their website. They do not mention or discuss their quirky rule on their website.

Overall I thought the range was OK. I didn't like the implementation of their quirky rule, but I don't have a problem with the rule itself. I think they should have more information on their website. I had a lot of fun. I will go back.

Acronym 9/27/2017 9:48 AM

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Acronym Esq wrote:I visited Full Armor Gun Range for the first time this past weekend. It was a basic 25 yard indoor gun range with electric target tracks. The price was $15 / shooter / hr. They didn't care how many guns I brought. They allowed rifles up to .223, but I didn't ask about anything bigger. The people were friendly.

Their quirky rule (every range has at least one) was absolutely no ferrous metal ammo. Brass and lead, OK. No steel core, no steel case, etc. They enforced this rule by passing a magnet over every box of ammunition I had. They also forbade magazines containing ammunition in them presumably b/c the magnet test wouldn't work through a magazine. I was given the option of unloading the mags, leaving the loaded mags with them, or leaving the loaded mags in the car. The implementation of this rule was a near complete empty and search of my range bags. As I usually travel with loaded guns, in holsters, in my range bag, it was uncomfortable when they suggested that I present said guns for inspection in the store surrounded by people. I think handling a loaded gun in the middle of any store is poor form. In addition, they made a mess of my organized range bags dumping the contents of boxes and sprinkling tools and accessories among boxes of ammo.

Full Armor Gun Range has a website. It defaults to https (good). Their location and hours are easy to find on their website. It is not easy to find their pricing on their website. They do not have their range rules on their website. They do not mention or discuss their quirky rule on their website.

Overall I thought the range was OK. I didn't like the implementation of their quirky rule, but I don't have a problem with the rule itself. I think they should have more information on their website. I had a lot of fun. I will go back.

Acronym 9/27/2017 9:48 AM
Thanks for the info. This rule would impact me in a significantly negative way. Not because I ever shoot any of the offending ammo, but because my routine is to load all my mags in the morning, and then make a quick range trip at lunch. I am usually in and out in 10-15 minutes max, and I will sometimes bring in 15 - 20 loaded mags (for 1911's). Having to load all the mags after getting there would easily double the time commitment and basically mean that it is a no-go for a lunch time trip, for me. I'll stick to Boyert which has a location about equidistant from my work.

For full disclosure, apparently a friend of a friend of mine has an ownership interest in this place.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: it is a no-go....I'll stick to Boyert

For full disclosure, apparently a friend of a friend of mine has an ownership interest in this place.

Nice of you to disclose but since you didn't actually recommend the range, no need. :lol:

allisji

Post by allisji »

flechero wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: it is a no-go....I'll stick to Boyert

Nice of you to disclose but since you didn't actually recommend the range, no need. :lol:
No need to disclose unless they have any ties to Russia
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I generally like it there, but have to agree regarding their emphatic enforcement of that rule.
They swipe magnets over every box.

They asked me about loaded mags. I had a loaded mag in my holstered G19 on my hip, but I wasn't about to share that I was even wearing it, much less go to the effort of removing it and clearing it with all those people around.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Uh.. Yea... Not gonna happen... I leave here with at least 12 - 16 pre loaded mags. In all seriousness if both myself and my two boys took everything we had to the range and pre loaded before hand.. There would be over 30 different mags loaded... I'm talking almost 600 rounds here...

17 9mm mags ~17 rounds per mag = 289 rounds
14 22LR mags ~10 rounds per mag - 144 rounds
4 7.62x39 mags - 120 rounds
various other calibers - 30 rounds

Total 583 rounds

And don't even think about rummaging around my range bag.. I don't care who you think you are.... Too many ranges out there to go to... We as gun owners already have to put up with a lot of grief... Don't need our ranges adding to it..

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Thanks for the info on this range. They're building a 2nd location near Bwy 8 & 288 (just down the road from where Primary Arms relocated to). I was hoping to make the new location a possible lunchtime routine visit, but now I'm not so sure.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 am Uh.. Yea... Not gonna happen... I leave here with at least 12 - 16 pre loaded mags. In all seriousness if both myself and my two boys took everything we had to the range and pre loaded before hand.. There would be over 30 different mags loaded... I'm talking almost 600 rounds here...

17 9mm mags ~17 rounds per mag = 289 rounds
14 22LR mags ~10 rounds per mag - 144 rounds
4 7.62x39 mags - 120 rounds
various other calibers - 30 rounds

Total 583 rounds

And don't even think about rummaging around my range bag.. I don't care who you think you are.... Too many ranges out there to go to... We as gun owners already have to put up with a lot of grief... Don't need our ranges adding to it..
I may have over a hundred 30 round AR mags that were bought before the last presidential election. Just for fun, I should take them to this range and then strip off the 3,000+ rounds onto the counter when they demand it. Just to illustrate their absurdity.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”