Thunder Gun Range in Conroe - from great to terrible

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tXfactor
Posts in topic: 2

Thunder Gun Range in Conroe - from great to terrible

Post by tXfactor »

Thunder Gun Range in Conroe used to be my favorite outdoor rifle range. Not any more. They ruined it.

They used to have rifle lanes where you could shoot 25/50/100yds from the same bench. It was perfect for zero'ing a rifle. Get on paper at 25yds, then move out to 50yds then 100yds, all from the same bench. It was also great for shooting with friends with different types of rifles. Everyone can sit together in their own lane, regardless of the distance they wanted to shoot.

But in their infinite wisdom, they now have special lanes for ARs and AKs. If you show up with a scary black rifle, you are no longer allowed to shoot on the old rifle lanes. You can pick from 20yds, 50yds, and 100yds, but each distance is from a different lane. Not only that, but 20yds is standing only. So good luck if you want to zero an AR/AK because if you choose 20yds to get on paper, you will be shooting off-hand, which we know is a terrible idea when sighting a rifle!

There are only THREE lanes for 50yds for ARs and AKs. And they're complete crap. We couldn't find where the 100yd lanes (or lane?) were, but frankly did not care.

The amenities are TERRIBLE. The lanes are cramped and crowded. And they still use the raised floor with large slats so that your empty casings fall underneath and out of reach. I forgave them for this because I use a brass catcher on my AR15, but now I have no reason to ever visit this place again. Even their pistol lanes are on the elevated platform so you can't retrieve your brass. Sorry, but they're not keeping my 10mm brass.

I probably should've stopped going here a long time ago...

Excaliber

Re: Thunder Gun Range in Conroe - from great to terrible

Post by Excaliber »

tXfactor wrote:Thunder Gun Range in Conroe used to be my favorite outdoor rifle range. Not any more. They ruined it.

They used to have rifle lanes where you could shoot 25/50/100yds from the same bench. It was perfect for zero'ing a rifle. Get on paper at 25yds, then move out to 50yds then 100yds, all from the same bench. It was also great for shooting with friends with different types of rifles. Everyone can sit together in their own lane, regardless of the distance they wanted to shoot.

But in their infinite wisdom, they now have special lanes for ARs and AKs. If you show up with a scary black rifle, you are no longer allowed to shoot on the old rifle lanes. You can pick from 20yds, 50yds, and 100yds, but each distance is from a different lane. Not only that, but 20yds is standing only. So good luck if you want to zero an AR/AK because if you choose 20yds to get on paper, you will be shooting off-hand, which we know is a terrible idea when sighting a rifle!

There are only THREE lanes for 50yds for ARs and AKs. And they're complete crap. We couldn't find where the 100yd lanes (or lane?) were, but frankly did not care.

The amenities are TERRIBLE. The lanes are cramped and crowded. And they still use the raised floor with large slats so that your empty casings fall underneath and out of reach. I forgave them for this because I use a brass catcher on my AR15, but now I have no reason to ever visit this place again. Even their pistol lanes are on the elevated platform so you can't retrieve your brass. Sorry, but they're not keeping my 10mm brass.

I probably should've stopped going here a long time ago...
They say they made the change because people were complaining about getting hit with brass.

However, when I've gone there have been lots more AR and AK shooters than other types. I'm not sure what they're thinking those folks are going to do when they find there are only two usable lanes with bench rests for those guns.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
tXfactor

Post by tXfactor »

I agree and since you mention it, during a cease fire today we cruised over to the old rifle lanes. Almost half of the rifles on the rack were semiautos. Their discrimination against the AR/AK pattern is no different than that of the anti-gunners that judge a rifle solely on looks.

I will admit that their pistol lanes are acceptable other than the lack of option to pick up your brass. I do like that they charge per gun instead of per hour.

I'm sad to see the changes they made to the rifle lanes, because I've always had good experiences at this range. The staff is very courteous and friendly, the general atmosphere is very laid back (thanks to the laid-back range officers). I guess I haven't completely given up on them just yet. Maybe I'll go back after a few months, to see if they've made any other "improvements."

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

tXfactor wrote:I agree and since you mention it, during a cease fire today we cruised over to the old rifle lanes. Almost half of the rifles on the rack were semiautos. Their discrimination against the AR/AK pattern is no different than that of the anti-gunners that judge a rifle solely on looks.

I will admit that their pistol lanes are acceptable other than the lack of option to pick up your brass. I do like that they charge per gun instead of per hour.

I'm sad to see the changes they made to the rifle lanes, because I've always had good experiences at this range. The staff is very courteous and friendly, the general atmosphere is very laid back (thanks to the laid-back range officers). I guess I haven't completely given up on them just yet. Maybe I'll go back after a few months, to see if they've made any other "improvements."
You might try talking to Jess, the owner. He's very friendly and easy to talk to. He's heavily invested in his facility and would almost certainly welcome your input.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

My son and I shot there this past weekend and we were accompanied by his girlfriend and her sisters and her father. Everytime I leave there, I am disappointed in my experience. First, they charge the larger of the number guns or shooters. While I understand it enables to them to increase their revenues, they do not incur any extra costs if a shooter has two guns instead of one gun. Second, the raised platforms and the brass traps make it impossible to collect our brass and my son often reloads our brass. So, our costs are always higher when we go there. Third, you can only use their "Thunder gun range" targets. My son brought along that battleship target game (purchased at Walmart) to shoot with his girlfriend. (They had a bet going). The RSO had some problems with it. Eventually, we compromised by purchasing an extra "thunder gun range" target for $1.00 beyond the ones we received with our range fees. Again, I felt their hand in my pocket.

We have gone there out of geographic convenience when my son brings his girlfriend. However, I think the owner would do well to focus on giving his customers a better experience rather than charge extraneous fees. I might even put up with a slightly higher range fee if I could at least collect my brass that does not land into the range lane.

I come from a family that owned a small business with few employees that I worked in until I graduated from college. I can appreciate the owner is a small business owner and his desire to maximize his revenues. I think he just needs more customer focus and less extraneous fee focus.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

texas city gun range. I havent really figured out what they dont allow. use your own targets,25/50/75/100 yards on any rifle bench,they have a cage made out of chicken wire for the semiautos. and pretty cheap. staff aren't know it all jerks.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If Thunder doesn't wake up, they'll slowly lose enough business to go out of business.

There was a time I went there.

No longer...

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

So if you have an AR-10 or just want to run your AR at the 200 yard range you can't? :confused5

cajunautoxer

Post by cajunautoxer »

Excaliber wrote:
You might try talking to Jess, the owner. He's very friendly and easy to talk to. He's heavily invested in his facility and would almost certainly welcome your input.
What from what I've read from the gun clubs that used his range has told me he's pretty much crazy. I was shooting a 3 gun match where we were picking up shotgun hulls and he comes driving in his golf cart screaming and yelling at us bc we're stealing his brass. I'm sure he intentionally built the floors so the brass falls on the floor so the shooter can't pick their up

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

cajunautoxer wrote: ...I'm sure he intentionally built the floors so the brass falls on the floor so the shooter can't pick their up
You don't do something like that without considering the consequences of such a design. Of course it was done on purpose.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

airbornecpa

Post by airbornecpa »

Put a tarp down over the floor to soften it for your bunions. Pack the tarp up when you leave and there your brass is. Never touched his floor and easier for you to pick up.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”