Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TVegas
Posts in topic: 2

Self Defense Practice at an Indoor Range

Post by TVegas »

Howdy guys,

This is my first post on the forum after several months of spectating. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me during my first six months of carrying!

As a college student, I don't have much funds to put towards shooting, so I really like to get the most out of each dollar I spend. As a result, I like to shoot at a local indoor range because they have a happy hour special with the cheapest range fees around. I would really like to know how you all would suggest practicing for self defense shooting at an indoor range. Keep in mind that I'm asking about practical self defense practice, not precision shooting practice.

Some details: I can draw a magazine from a holster but not my weapon. Also, the targets cannot be automatically moved or turned during shooting (only to adjust distance between shots). This range also does not allow rapid fire, but no one has said anything about shooting roughly two shots per second.

Thanks in advance!
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

RKlenka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self Defense Practice at an Indoor Range

Post by RKlenka »

It wont be easy.

It sounds like you can't draw, move, or shoot fast and all three of those are pretty important to self defense practice.

I would recommend finding a different range and get very accustomed to dry firing. One of those SRTs or a decent airsoft for your backyard would be a good idea as well.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

Topic author
TVegas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVegas »

RKlenka wrote:It wont be easy.

It sounds like you can't draw, move, or shoot fast and all three of those are pretty important to self defense practice.

I would recommend finding a different range and get very accustomed to dry firing. One of those SRTs or a decent airsoft for your backyard would be a good idea as well.
Agreed. I'm planning to try out an outdoor range that's in the area. Due to the convenience and value of the indoor range I am wondering if there are any recommendations for things to practice in that setting. Also, could you explain SRT?
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

Might I suggest getting involved in local IDPA matches. Texas Tactical has a monthly match at Austin Rifle Club and the cost is only $25/match plus you'll need 100 rounds of practice ammo. All safe shooters are welcome. No experience necessary. This is the cheapest, easiest way to practice self defense shooting skills. Here's my latest match with this club in San Antonio.
[youtube][/youtube]
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

ELB

Post by ELB »

TVegas wrote:
RKlenka wrote:It wont be easy.

Agreed. I'm planning to try out an outdoor range that's in the area. Due to the convenience and value of the indoor range I am wondering if there are any recommendations for things to practice in that setting. Also, could you explain SRT?
One of these: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one of the drop-in lasers that fits in the chamber of a real handgun. They are less expensive than the SRT but now that I have it I wish I had saved up the $$ and sprung for the SRT pistol. The drop-in laser works well but it is what is after all still a "real" handgun, and I have to be a little more careful with toting it around and securing it and whatnot.

The laser aid is great for practicing your trigger control and aim while dry-firing. Also the SRT pistol allows repeated trigger pulls, while with the drop-in type I must manually operate the slide between shots.

And as RKlenka alluded to, the "bang" part is a small (but important) part of the overall gunfight. Moving, drawing, etc, occupy a lot of the gunfight space, and are critical to getting into the position where the "bang" will do you some good. Many of those things you can practice outside the gun range. Eventually you have to put them all together of course, but a lot of the fundamentals can be practiced separately at first.

Good luck.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Shooting Ranges”