Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Magnum Sports Center - Sanger

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

So I put together an AR a few months ago and I haven't been able to sit down with it for a good zero. I had taken it to Frisco to just shoot and function test, but I didn't really want to drop $35 to go to their rifle lanes - and that place is always SLAMMED when I can go there.

Note about FGC: Don't get me wrong, Frisco Gun Club is great, but I usually can only make it on the weekends, and typically only mid-day. This is their PEAK times and I usually am quoted up to a two hour wait for the pistol lanes, and they have 20+ of those! That, and I live almost an hour away.

So I did some googling for another place and found Magnum Sports Center in Sanger. They don't have a website (which made it kind of hard to find), but google maps had an entry and a phone number. I called and found that the hours that google maps had were correct. So I tried it out today - I'll definitely be going back. One thing to note, if you use Google Maps to get there for directions, drive past the gate that goes down to the range itself a bit, and there will be a mobile home looking thing on the left, this is where you pay and sign your paperwork.

It's a low tech outdoor range, using pallets at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards to staple your targets to. (I only saw the rifle lanes, the pistol lanes were closed for a LTC class and may have more bells and whistles) One group was allowed to fire pistols on their rifle lanes, it doesn't appear to be a rifles only hard rule.
The rules are pretty much the 4 major rules we all know. Hot range, shoot all you want (no restrictions on what you shoot - Fmj welcome, brass, steel, etc)
When the range officer calls a cold range, a flashing light is turned on and you're prohibited from touching your ammo, firearms or magazines. Bolts all should be locked open, of course.

I got there about 11:00 AM (They opened at 10:00 AM on Saturday) and was there till about 12:45. I was the first one there, and when I left there were probably 8 other people on the range. Everyone was very nice, and the range officer was very helpful.

Someone even brought some old hard drives that they shot at with a suppressed .270. (I think I'm remembering correctly that it was a .270). He made it through 4 hard drives... :lol:

If you're looking for a low tech easy going place to shoot with friendly people, check it out. Call ahead though to make sure that they are open, or if they have some lanes closed for LTC classes or some such. It is a small operation, so they will be closed more often than some other places -- I overheard the range officer telling the guys that shot the hard drives that they are usually closed from Thanksgiving till New Years.

TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Magnum Sports Center - Sanger

Post by ScottDLS »

Years ago they used to let you shoot full-auto rifles there. Do they still? I heard they stopped 'cause people were getting the cows... :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Are those Hillary's hard drives? It may be low tech but I noticed the screened partitions separating shooting stations. I would love to see those at the ranges where I shoot. There's nothing like getting hit with a hot brass from two benches over just as your taking up the trigger creep for your next shot. :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

ScottDLS wrote:Years ago they used to let you shoot full-auto rifles there. Do they still? I heard they stopped 'cause people were getting the cows... :???:
I saw a sign that said they don't allow full auto, don't even ask. But, I don't have anything that goes full auto because I'm just a lowly untrustworthy dirty peon citizen, so I had no reason to ask. I bet you're right though.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

puma guy wrote:Are those Hillary's hard drives?
:leaving :eek6
puma guy wrote:It may be low tech but I noticed the screened partitions separating shooting stations. I would love to see those at the ranges where I shoot. There's nothing like getting hit with a hot brass from two benches over just as your taking up the trigger creep for your next shot. :lol:
Well, MY brass tried to singe me more than once! But yes, those are metal mesh screens, not the plastic kind. They've been up for a while though, so a perfectly ejected casing might make it through a rip in one, if you're just that unlucky.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I saw a sign that said they don't allow full auto, don't even ask. But, I don't have anything that goes full auto because I'm just a lowly untrustworthy dirty peon citizen, so I had no reason to ask.
Deplorable.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

puma guy wrote:Are those Hillary's hard drives?
Daggummit you beat me to it!

That place is right in my old stomping grounds!

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Skiprr wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:I saw a sign that said they don't allow full auto, don't even ask. But, I don't have anything that goes full auto because I'm just a deplorable lowly untrustworthy dirty peon citizen, so I had no reason to ask.
Deplorable.
There, I fixed it :cheers2:

Return to “Shooting Ranges”