Saddle River Range, Conroe, TX

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stever1950
Posts in topic: 3

Saddle River Range, Conroe, TX

Post by stever1950 »

The wife and I just visited this range and had a great time. It is 4 miles West of 45 on FM 1488 a little South of Conroe. It is a very nice, large facility with 24 lanes, a gunsmith, a cafe, and a large sales area. We were impressed by the friendliness of all the staff. They have special nights for us ol coots over 60 (1/2 off), a ladies night and date night (2 for 1). We had to take our 11 year old granddaughter along (kinda defeats date night, but oh well) so I decided it was time to introduce here to our world. I started her with an old Jennings 22 then a couple of .38's (snubby and 4"). Even got her to try my 40 once....once. All in all, she loved it and is ready to go again.
The lanes were well ventilated and lit and very good target runners. We will be regulars there now.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Saddle River Range, Conroe, TX

Post by puma guy »

stever1950 wrote:The wife and I just visited this range and had a great time. It is 4 miles West of 45 on FM 1488 a little South of Conroe. It is a very nice, large facility with 24 lanes, a gunsmith, a cafe, and a large sales area. We were impressed by the friendliness of all the staff. They have special nights for us ol coots over 60 (1/2 off), a ladies night and date night (2 for 1). We had to take our 11 year old granddaughter along (kinda defeats date night, but oh well) so I decided it was time to introduce here to our world. I started her with an old Jennings 22 then a couple of .38's (snubby and 4"). Even got her to try my 40 once....once. All in all, she loved it and is ready to go again.
The lanes were well ventilated and lit and very good target runners. We will be regulars there now.
Sounds like a nice facility and kudo's for getting your granddaughter involved in shooting. Just one question, how did you keep her interest up after letting her shoot a Jennings paperweight? :biggrinjester: Sorry I just couldn't help myself; I own one myself!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Well, it taught her how to recognize and clear jams and malfunctions.......
But, the 38s got her going, and she liked the Taurus 709. Still scared of the S&W 40 though.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

stever1950 wrote:Well, it taught her how to recognize and clear jams and malfunctions.......
But, the 38s got her going, and she liked the Taurus 709. Still scared of the S&W 40 though.
:lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

I don't think I would want a kid to shoot a 40 S&W pistol until after they had shot a 45 ACP. Inexperience people tend to think bigger caliber means harsher recoil and that isn't always the case. At least, my sister-in-law was like that. Refused to shoot anything bigger than 9mm for a while.

Topic author
stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

I supported her hands and arms and she took the recoil well, it was more the louder noise and flash she didn't like. That and the size of the gun. The Smith is full size and the Taurus is compact, fit her hands better. I'm thinking of getting a small frame 22 to become proficient with then move up. Yeah, caliber doesn't mean that much. I had a .357 that kicked worse than my friends Redhawk .44 mag. To me a Winchester style 30/30 kicked more than a Remington 700 30.06. I think it is more a matter of frame/grip design on a pistol and stock shape on a rifle.
This being her first time I just wanted her familiar with what was in the house and be capable of firing any of them if circumstances demanded.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

My buddy and I shot there the other day. Very nice place as the OP described. The memberships are not too high, but the location is not that convenient for me. I will shoot there in the future, but only on a weekend days.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”