Memorial Shooting Range Closes

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 1

Memorial Shooting Range Closes

Post by Pete92FS »

Has anyone heard what the deal is with this? Received an email notice from them Wednesday saying the shooting range was closing immediately but their 360 Tactical training would continue. This was a good range with nice friendly people and decent fees. Also had good quotes when buying through Gallery of Guns.
CHL since 01/26/09

Scott B.

Re: Memorial Shooting Range Closes

Post by Scott B. »

No kidding? That location has been, what, three different ranges that I can think of? This latest iteration seemed to have it figured out.

Granted, it was in a location where you were thankful to have a firearm.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Pete92FS wrote:Has anyone heard what the deal is with this? Received an email notice from them Wednesday saying the shooting range was closing immediately but their 360 Tactical training would continue. This was a good range with nice friendly people and decent fees. Also had good quotes when buying through Gallery of Guns.
I'm disappointed too. Basic range with good people and good prices. I visited them 5-10 times a year. I particularly enjoyed taking new shooters to Memorial Shooting Center because they offered new shooters a discounted price. Wish I knew why they were closed. Cool of them to send the alert email tho.
Scott B. wrote:Granted, it was in a location where you were thankful to have a firearm.
IKR!? In a 1 mile radius there were 10+ churches, apartments, houses, an elementary school, an Academy, and a Jimmy Johns. Wait, what? Oh yea, I am thankful to have my firearm with me all the time too.

acronym 9/18/2017 9:43 AM

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Scott B. wrote:No kidding? That location has been, what, three different ranges that I can think of? This latest iteration seemed to have it figured out.

Granted, it was in a location where you were thankful to have a firearm.
Hey, I used to live about a mile from there. Then again, I am always thankful to have a firearm regardless of where I am at. I took my LTC class there and bought my first gun there. It was also the first gun range I shot at in Texas after moving here 10 years ago. I'm sorry to see it go. Like others said, it was a good, basic range.

I think that ranges like this are in danger of being squeezed out. On the one hand, you have the "hardcore gun people" who just want a completely no-frills range at minimal cost, like Bayou Rifles and other outdoor ranges. On the other hand, you have the "casual gun people" who like to go to a range that is more like a Starbucks or a spa. Picture Athena gun club with it's cigar lounge, etc., or even my beloved Boyert Shooting Center. The problem for a place like MSC is that it is intimidating for a non-shooter driving up to the building and walking inside, but it can't compete on cost with ranges that have annual memberships in the couple hundred dollar range.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”