Shoot Point Blank in NRH opening Wednesday 9/27/17

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
extremist
Posts in topic: 5

Shoot Point Blank in NRH opening Wednesday 9/27/17

Post by extremist »

We will be open for business Wednesday 9/27/17. Come see the shiny new store.

Look for the guy with the name tag 'James' :tiphat:

Will have some great opening specials.

Official Grand Opening in Mid-Oct.

http://shootpointblank.com/point-blank- ... ills-texas

Range Passes are definitely the way to go. Very inexpensive way to shoot on a great 25 yard range indooors.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shoot Point Blank in NRH opening Wednesday 9/27/17

Post by RoyGBiv »

Nice... Will definitely stop by soon to check out the facilities.

Best thing I saw on your web site was the $5 for second shooter cost.
I always thought it was exorbitant to charge 50% or more for a second shooter.

You might want to mention (on the web site) how long your ranges are... especially for long guns... and what type of target system you have.
(I assume the range doesn't have to go cold to change a target?.. )

Best use of a "Staples" I've seen in a long time. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

extremist wrote:We will be open for business Wednesday 9/27/17. Come see the shiny new store.

Look for the guy with the name tag 'James' :tiphat:

Will have some great opening specials.

Official Grand Opening in Mid-Oct.

http://shootpointblank.com/point-blank- ... ills-texas

Range Passes are definitely the way to go. Very inexpensive way to shoot on a great 25 yard range indooors.
Your store, James?
Location?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 6

Post by sjfcontrol »

Firearm Instructors are prohibited from instructing on Point Blank’s range, unless they are a certified Point Blank instructor
Bleah...
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Firearm Instructors are prohibited from instructing on Point Blank’s range, unless they are a certified Point Blank instructor
Bleah...
Have you checked to see what that cert. might entail, or are you just put out that a range owner might want to verify that you have teaching credentials before allowing you to use their range as your personal office?

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

flechero wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Bleah...
Have you checked to see what that cert. might entail, or are you just put out that a range owner might want to verify that you have teaching credentials before allowing you to use their range as your personal office?
I read that to mean Point Blank employees. Do you/they allow independent LTC Instructors (with the State Certification) to use your facilities for Proficiency Testing? If so, I'll retract my 'Bleah'.
Never Forget. Image

flechero

Post by flechero »

sjfcontrol wrote:
flechero wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Bleah...
I read that to mean Point Blank employees. Do you/they allow independent LTC Instructors (with the State Certification) to use your facilities for Proficiency Testing? If so, I'll retract my 'Bleah'.
No clue, I don't work there. Why not call them and ask? I could be totally wrong but since they are a large company with lots of ranges (read that as deep pockets) I read the rule to mean they don't just let "anyone" teach there without first being checked out. My last post come off pretty jerky- apologies for that, wasn't exactly how I meant it. :tiphat:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

No clue, I don't work there. Why not call them and ask? I could be totally wrong but since they are a large company with lots of ranges (read that as deep pockets) I read the rule to mean they don't just let "anyone" teach there without first being checked out. My last post come off pretty jerky- apologies for that, wasn't exactly how I meant it. :tiphat:
No apologies needed. My one-word comment might seem a bit snarky, too. But I won't be calling them since they're too far away for them to be any use to me anyway. I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, since when I was actively trying to be a CHL instructor, the closest range I could find that would allow outside instructors was a 45 minute drive one-way. For some reason students seemed to balk at driving 90 minutes to take a 20 minute proficiency test. :grumble

It also depends on what they deem as "instruction". For example, I shouldn't have to provide my "teaching credentials" to take my granddaughter to the range for some basic handgun instruction/practice. Their rule probably is not targeting that kind of activity, but they could if they wanted to be sticklers about it.
Never Forget. Image

KLB

Post by KLB »

I did not know what NRH stood for until I followed the link. I was curious, because it seemed a bit fancy for Point Blank, Texas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We are moving to NRH in a month or so.....if everything works out on the sale of our house in Grapevine.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

sjfcontrol wrote:
No apologies needed. My one-word comment might seem a bit snarky, too. But I won't be calling them since they're too far away for them to be any use to me anyway. I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, since when I was actively trying to be a CHL instructor, the closest range I could find that would allow outside instructors was a 45 minute drive one-way. For some reason students seemed to balk at driving 90 minutes to take a 20 minute proficiency test. :grumble

It also depends on what they deem as "instruction". For example, I shouldn't have to provide my "teaching credentials" to take my granddaughter to the range for some basic handgun instruction/practice. Their rule probably is not targeting that kind of activity, but they could if they wanted to be sticklers about it.
Pure speculation here: I think it has more to do with people charging money to instruct at their range, not teaching your wife, daughter or granddaughter. I can see where that revenue stream might open up some liability if your student had an incident.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

[quote="RoyGBiv"]Nice... Will definitely stop by soon to check out the facilities.

Best thing I saw on your web site was the $5 for second shooter cost.
I always thought it was exorbitant to charge 50% or more for a second shooter.

/quote]

Can I get an Amen :iagree:

Tired of going some place to shoot with a friend here in Houston and I have to pay full boat for myself and my friend. All the while the paper weight behind the counter says "Well you can use two lanes" Nice to see this.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Total Shooting Sports in N Richland Hills has better range fees. $20 shoot as long as you want. $15 for veterans. Nice facility and friendly people working there.
https://totalshootingsports.com/range.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
extremist
Posts in topic: 5

Post by extremist »

bblhd672 wrote:Total Shooting Sports in N Richland Hills has better range fees. $20 shoot as long as you want. $15 for veterans. Nice facility and friendly people working there.
https://totalshootingsports.com/range.html
Start your own thread for TSS. :shock:

There are many ways to shoot less expensively at Point Blank . Our Range Passes ARE a better deal than TSS and we are the industry standard in customer service. Military and First Responders are half price on passes.

I will find out about LTC instructor/student quals and let you know. But I will be teaching LTC there :lol:

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I just took a look at the web site. Here are my thoughts.

Pricing seems comparable to most indoor ranges that I have seen. $15 for a half hour, $21 for an hour, for unlimited guns. Extra shooters are $8 (presumably for up to one hour). All rates drop by $3 after your first visit. Gun rentals are attractively priced. A few bucks cheaper than most other places. Annual passes are around $55 a month (factoring in the one free month). This is also in line with most indoor ranges. Basically, if you shoot at least once a week, at the same place, then buy an annual pass.

Rules are a mixed bag.
The good - You can pick up your own brass. It doesn't appear that there are any restrictions on steel or aluminum cased ammo, which is better than most places. No weird restrictions on hollow point, FMJ, or magnum ammo.
The bad - Shotguns limited to slugs only, so a lot of (most?) folks won't be able to shoot their HD shotgun with their actual HD ammo loaded. No drawing from the holster. No rapid fire. Combined, these rules would keep me from using this range.

Net-net, if you are OK with the range rules, for your intended training purpose, then this range seems like a decent option worth checking out, IMHO.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”