Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

NO more FGC for me!

Post by Beiruty »

I had enough with Frisco Gun Club. :grumble :grumble :grumble

I am done with FGC, I requested a full refund of my membership and got my refund receipt before I left.
Short story, I had 4 guests with me, who would like be introduced to shooting. We were assigned a single lane.
Then 50 mins later on the lane, were warned to wrap up and leave because other shooters are waiting. I refused to leave. It was not fair to 5-shooters to be assigned on a single lane and then ask us to leave.

FGC went from a premiere gun club of Collin County to sketchy place, run-down range with idling lanes due lack of repairs. I was on lane 15 and 16 was down due to unrepaired target shuttle. :leaving
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NO more FGC for me!

Post by puma guy »

According to their website regular members pay half price range fees, while Platinum and VIP pay no range fee. Does your membership allow level require you to pay the range fees? If so why would they run someone off, in this case you and your friends, if they're paying hourly rates?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bruin98 »

Run down range? It's a year old; maybe 2.

I don't know never been. My range charges by the day not the hour.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

puma guy wrote:According to their website regular members pay half price range fees, while Platinum and VIP pay no range fee. Does your membership allow level require you to pay the range fees? If so why would they run someone off, in this case you and your friends, if they're paying hourly rates?
I am Platinum "founding" member. I pay no range fee, and I can stay as much as I need. On many occasions I was asked to leave on time limits that should not apply for members. As for guests, I can use any of the 6 FREE guests cards per year. From 2012 to 2016 Those guests cards were good for day-long range entry for either Pistol or rifle range. In 2017, the cards are good for 1-hr only on any pistol lane and non-weekend days. As per 2018, the guest cards are eliminated from Platinum benefits.

We were able to shoot shotguns, no more.
We were able to use a Chronograph for rifle load development, no more.
We were able to use 6-guest cards per year, no more.
We were able as Platinum members, to stay past 1-hr limit with no issues, no more.
We were able to use working target shuttles no more. Now we have to fight for the reminder of the working ones.

Enough with mistreatment of your members, favoring walk-in payers
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bruin98 wrote:Run down range? It's a year old; maybe 2.

I don't know never been. My range charges by the day not the hour.
It is 6-yrs old range, the last 3, they stopped repairing their lanes. In fact, I started complaining about lack of repairs form year 2.
Beiruty,

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Beiruty wrote:
puma guy wrote:According to their website regular members pay half price range fees, while Platinum and VIP pay no range fee. Does your membership allow level require you to pay the range fees? If so why would they run someone off, in this case you and your friends, if they're paying hourly rates?
I am Platinum "founding" member. I pay no range fee, and I can stay as much as I need. On many occasions I was asked to leave on time limits that should not apply for members. As for guests, I can use any of the 6 FREE guests cards per year. From 2012 to 2016 Those guests cards were good for day-long range entry for either Pistol or rifle range. In 2017, the cards are good for 1-hr only on any pistol lane and non-weekend days. As per 2018, the guest cards are eliminated from Platinum benefits.

We were able to shoot shotguns, no more.
We were able to use a Chronograph for rifle load development, no more.
We were able to use 6-guest cards per year, no more.
We were able as Platinum members, to stay past 1-hr limit with no issues, no more.
We were able to use working target shuttles no more. Now we have to fight for the reminder of the working ones.

Enough with mistreatment of your members, favoring walk-in payers
It appears they are on the way down. Maybe a godsend you got your money back before they go defunct.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

No surprise to me. Based on how they submarined a friend of mine trying to open a range in McKinney. Bunch of cut-throats. Never been, never will.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I've only been a member for around 6 months, so I don't have any past history to compare to. So far I've not had any issues with them. The only 2 experiences that I've had that would be considered note worthy were one good and one not so good. The bad one really was the instructor for my LTC class.. I didn't appreciate wasting 45 minutes of my time hawking LTC insurance during the class.. The good one was when I was at the counter and they were finding 2 lanes for me, the guy told me that he wanted to be sure as a Platinum member that I took precedent over the cash customers who only come once in a while...

I've read online yelp reviews and I have seen others with some of the same complaints as the OP. But I just wanted to share my personal experiences as well.

On a side note, I have the opportunity to become a member of an outdoor range. It's about 1/2 price per year of FGC and I am free to pretty much do whatever I want... Holster draw, quick fire, tactical shooting, etc... My only issues is that it's at least 45 minutes away and I'm not crazy about being outside in cold or wet weather... I try to get to the range about 4 times per month so that would probably reduce my trips and I hate to do that... I guess I could get a membership at both, but then that would seriously eat into my ammo cash.... OH THE DELIMA OF IT ALL....

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

I had a similar experience. Earlier this year, a friend who also is a Platinum Founding Member invited me to FGC for a shooting session. We each brought several handgun. The range was not busy at all - there were several unoccupied lanes either side of us. After an hour, a range officer came by and informed us that our time was up and we had to pack up and leave. My buddy said he was going to complain to management about it - I don't know if he did and what the results were.m I'll stick with my Bullet Trap membership. Always treated well there, and I know what to expect. Oddly enough, same ownership between FGC and BT, but I've never had any heartburn at BT. YMMV.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I am a member of an outdoor range and there are good and bad when it comes to pistols. Being outside, the noise is less since you don't have walls bouncing sound back at you. Indoor ranges generally have better lighting so if you are shooting a pistol for accuracy, the sights can really stand out well against the target with a well lit range. The weather just gives more challenges and it also means few if any other people will be at the range.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 pm I had enough with Frisco Gun Club. :grumble :grumble :grumble

I am done with FGC, I requested a full refund of my membership and got my refund receipt before I left.
Short story, I had 4 guests with me, who would like be introduced to shooting. We were assigned a single lane.
Then 50 mins later on the lane, were warned to wrap up and leave because other shooters are waiting. I refused to leave. It was not fair to 5-shooters to be assigned on a single lane and then ask us to leave.

FGC went from a premiere gun club of Collin County to sketchy place, run-down range with idling lanes due lack of repairs. I was on lane 15 and 16 was down due to unrepaired target shuttle. :leaving
I realize this thread is from December but wanted to add in that my experience with them was VERY similar to this. I have even been asked to "wrap it up" after an hour when shooting by myself and my membership is suppose to be zero range fees. Truth is, the fees are still not "free". You are paying them up front in your membership fees. I was done with them after the umpteenth time they treated me like I was imposing on them to use a range for more than an hour. I was one of the first to join, even before they had officially opened but longevity means very little to them.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I just don’t really like gun ranges at all, I’m way happier in the back yard by myself or with a few buddies. I realize everyone doesn’t get that luxury though. Mind you I worked at a gun range for a year or so, I just really can’t bring myself to go to noisy gun ranges with rude employees that think they are GI Joe and know way more than everyone around them. Also I hate having guns pointed at me which is just about constant these days in my experience.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I also quit FGC. I was a charter member, but they are not i terested in shooters; they want newbies, so they can sell them guns and classes and headsets and tactical clothing. They oversold their capacity, then stopped customer service. They are just salesmen.

:mad5
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

skeathley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 pm I also quit FGC. I was a charter member, but they are not i terested in shooters; they want newbies, so they can sell them guns and classes and headsets and tactical clothing. They oversold their capacity, then stopped customer service. They are just salesmen.

:mad5
I can believe it.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I've been a founding member too. The one that comes with a free automatic rifle rental on your birthday. We've not had any problems and I've been there at least 6 times in the last 3 weeks. I have had the RO inform us our time is up, but typically on the rifle range.

Although, as I type this, I remembered yesterday they had a wait list for pistol & we weren't in the mood for waiting so we left after having just walked off the rifle range. Also, the air conditioning on the rifle range has been kaput for 3-4wks. Walking in yesterday, I forgot to ask if they had completed the repairs they said they'd finish a week ago. As we opened the door, we notice TWO GIANT industrial portable AC units. It helped, but one was still blowing air at 94deg per the digital readout.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Shooting Ranges”