Range Catch 22

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Catch 22

Post by Grundy1133 »

the range i frequent in sherman doesnt care if you turn around or walk behind the line as long as you leave your firearm pointed down range and on the table thats in front of the yellow line. basically leave your gun in a safe manner and dont take it behind the yellow shooter line.
NRA Member

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

While not the nicest range in town I frequent Bullet Trap in Plano. Where I taught my wife to shoot and RO's are pretty friendly. It gets warm on the ranges in the summer and cold on the ranges in winter but I don't think you get to choose the temperature where you might be in a defensive situation.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm
Syntyr wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 am Wow. I don't have a particular solution for you but look for another range. I have been to 7 different ranges and help people learn to shoot all the time. I never have had a range or an RSO tell me I couldn't be right there with a student. They need someone up close with them while they first learn. As long as the 4 rules are followed and the pistol ALWAYS is safely pointed down range.

I ask for the end lane so I can keep the newbie shooter between me and the wall. I like indoor ranges because of the stalls and it's easier to keep everything in reach and control. Once the shooter has been to the range a time or two and proven to me that they can safely handle a weapon then we move to outdoor ranges and fun stuff.
:iagree:

Every range I have been to here in the Houston area lets you stand right next to a shooter you are trying to teach. It is actually a requirement at some of them to be within arms reach of a youth shooter at all times that they are on the firing line. I can't imagine why they would want the more experienced person to be very far from a new shooter. It makes absolutely no sense.
Yes, having shot at a lot of Houston and DFW ranges I can comfortably say Houston ranges are better. A lot of public DFW ranges have a lot of strange baggage that is often not formally listed under their range rules.

Most gunfights require a clean draw from the holster and putting rounds on target rapidly... which requires training. The majority of DFW ranges don't allow drawing from the holster or "rapid fire"... and are of limited utility.

That means dryfire at home or airsoft in the back yard are cheaper, more convenient, and better alternatives to training for me in DFW.

Shootsmart is an exception because Shootsmart has private suites which I really like. Private suites allow me to practice realistically.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

I've been to a few ranges in the Austin area that allow drawing from the holster after you take their training, get their card, and pay them more money. A few allow firing as fast as 2 shots in 3 seconds.

My local range is 10 minutes from my house and is outdoors. I can practice as I want to. Another advantage of living where I do. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

1wise1 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 am Have an adult daughter (She's in her 50's I'm well into my 70's) she wants me to teach her to shoot. I don't particularly want to have to drive to Arkansas or Louisiana in search of open land to pin a target to a tree, but the indoor ranges close to me in Carrollton/Lewisville/Flower Mound will not allow anyone in addition to the shooter anywhere near the yellow line behind the bay. One place, which shall go unnamed, has an RSO who launches into an unhinged fit if a shooter puts his pistol down on the bench and turns around to speak to somebody standing against the back wall.
No, I am not a credentialed instructor, I'm a father who is glad another of his kids is finally taking personal responsibility for her own safety by learning how to arm herself. Once she's comfortable, her husband says he's next.. I'm hoping someone who has overcome the same dilemma has experienced a welcoming place.
It’s a bit of a drive for you, but ETTS between Waxahatchie and Maypearl has a day rate for non-members. It’s a little pricier than some other ranges, but they operate on “big boy rules”, and they have a LOT of different types of ranges on their property. Also, as a general thing, I see a lot of people teaching other people to shoot at Elm Fork, and the RSOs there seem pretty patient and cooperative. I’ve never seen them give anyone a hard time for having two shooters at the line together - one showing techniques to the other. Coming from Flowermound/Lewisville, Elm Fork is a straight shot down 121 to NW Highway, and then a mile or two east on NW Highway to Luna Rd. Alternatively, maybe one of the members of DPC - which is right there in Carrollton - might have you and your daughter as a guest if you ask nicely enough. I did a lot of instruction there when I was a member.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am I've been to a few ranges in the Austin area that allow drawing from the holster after you take their training, get their card, and pay them more money. A few allow firing as fast as 2 shots in 3 seconds.

My local range is 10 minutes from my house and is outdoors. I can practice as I want to. Another advantage of living where I do. ;-)
I'm assuming the part I bolded is not a brag?

The more I hear about other indoor ranges, the happier I am to be a member at Boyert. They are friendly, conveniently located for me, and the only restrictive rule is on steel and aluminum cased ammo. No restriction on rate of fire, and you can draw from the holster once they verify that you aren't an idiot.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

You folks are really making me glad that I belong to PSC and only live 10 minutes away. Not bragging as I have been thinking of moving out of the Houston area once I decide that I have had all I want of part time consulting. Problem I have had is I can't find anywhere else that has a gun club like PSC (also have a really great church home in the area as well). Guess I will stay here until they throw me in a hole.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 am
oljames3 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am I've been to a few ranges in the Austin area that allow drawing from the holster after you take their training, get their card, and pay them more money. A few allow firing as fast as 2 shots in 3 seconds.

I'm assuming the part I bolded is not a brag?

The more I hear about other indoor ranges, the happier I am to be a member at Boyert. They are friendly, conveniently located for me, and the only restrictive rule is on steel and aluminum cased ammo. No restriction on rate of fire, and you can draw from the holster once they verify that you aren't an idiot.
A few allow firing as fast as 2 shots in 3 seconds.
No brag. More like sarcasm. Most of the indoor ranges I've been to in the central Texas area say "no rapid fire" and define rapid fire as faster than 1 round in 2 seconds. 2 rounds in 3 seconds is a minimum competency. I've recently joined the USPSA and started competing. I'm using Three Seconds or Less as a starting point:
https://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Informa ... OrLess.htm
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Shoot smart in north fortworth off of 35w. Private lane rental

Return to “Shooting Ranges”