Range Catch 22

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1wise1
Posts in topic: 2

Range Catch 22

Post by 1wise1 »

Have an adult daughter (She's in her 50's I'm well into my 70's) she wants me to teach her to shoot. I don't particularly want to have to drive to Arkansas or Louisiana in search of open land to pin a target to a tree, but the indoor ranges close to me in Carrollton/Lewisville/Flower Mound will not allow anyone in addition to the shooter anywhere near the yellow line behind the bay. One place, which shall go unnamed, has an RSO who launches into an unhinged fit if a shooter puts his pistol down on the bench and turns around to speak to somebody standing against the back wall.
No, I am not a credentialed instructor, I'm a father who is glad another of his kids is finally taking personal responsibility for her own safety by learning how to arm herself. Once she's comfortable, her husband says he's next.. I'm hoping someone who has overcome the same dilemma has experienced a welcoming place.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Catch 22

Post by Liberty »

Unfortunately I can't help as I am not familiar with your area, but I just wanted to congratulate you. There is little in this life that is more satisfying than to introduce to others the joy of shooting. That this is your daughter is just icing on the cake.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

http://proactivedefense.net/ This is outdoors she can move around everyone is very helpful.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That sounds a little odd if one of those ranges is the Eagle range in Lewisville. They haven't been that problematic about things like this with me or my brother in law in the past.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flechero

Post by flechero »

The good news is that you are in an area that has multiple ranges... I'd find another. (for even when your daughter isn't present)

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I know it may be a little bit of a cruise but Shoot Smart in Grand Prairie will allow you to teach her. Thats where I taught my oldest grand daughter.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Check out

http://www.shootntsa.com/

Would have to coordinate schedules but guests are allowed with an accompanying member, I am a member.
Click “rules” and then “range policies.”
I am willing to help those who want to learn.
Cost is $13 per guest per day for rifle/pistol.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I have never had that problem at Eagle in Lewisville, or Bullet Trap in Plano.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

C-dub wrote:That sounds a little odd if one of those ranges is the Eagle range in Lewisville. They haven't been that problematic about things like this with me or my brother in law in the past.
In general I agree with you and I really enjoy Eagle but they have that one special RSO... who I believe is responsible for virtually every negative review of Eagle Lewisville. Their other RSOs range from very friendly to "strictly business" but with the one exception their RSOs are helpful, courteous and professional.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

flowrie wrote:Check out

http://www.shootntsa.com/

Would have to coordinate schedules but guests are allowed with an accompanying member, I am a member.
Click “rules” and then “range policies.”
I am willing to help those who want to learn.
Cost is $13 per guest per day for rifle/pistol.
This range, and this gentlemen are both good and have my endorsement (for whatever that's worth to you) :tiphat:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Check out http://407gunclub.com they even have ladies night Wed-Fri from 4pm to 6pm. They're located on FM407 at I35W. They are right next to Defender Outdoors. They have suites just for family shooting. You can also book a reservation online and your lane\suite will be ready when you get there.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Richbirdhunter wrote:http://proactivedefense.net/ This is outdoors she can move around everyone is very helpful.
I'll vouch for Proactive as well :thumbs2:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Wow. I don't have a particular solution for you but look for another range. I have been to 7 different ranges and help people learn to shoot all the time. I never have had a range or an RSO tell me I couldn't be right there with a student. They need someone up close with them while they first learn. As long as the 4 rules are followed and the pistol ALWAYS is safely pointed down range.

I ask for the end lane so I can keep the newbie shooter between me and the wall. I like indoor ranges because of the stalls and it's easier to keep everything in reach and control. Once the shooter has been to the range a time or two and proven to me that they can safely handle a weapon then we move to outdoor ranges and fun stuff.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
1wise1

Post by 1wise1 »

Warnmar10, you nailed exactly who I was talking about. Eagle should have gotten the message about this guy a long time ago but he was still there last time I was in the place, and still doing his best to intimidate anyone who failed to properly salute him. He must be somebody's brother in law or a stockholder because there have been multiple complaints about his behavior. Other than that its a great place to shoot unless they put you right next to a guy with an AR ... then even hearing protection isn't enough.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Syntyr wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 am Wow. I don't have a particular solution for you but look for another range. I have been to 7 different ranges and help people learn to shoot all the time. I never have had a range or an RSO tell me I couldn't be right there with a student. They need someone up close with them while they first learn. As long as the 4 rules are followed and the pistol ALWAYS is safely pointed down range.

I ask for the end lane so I can keep the newbie shooter between me and the wall. I like indoor ranges because of the stalls and it's easier to keep everything in reach and control. Once the shooter has been to the range a time or two and proven to me that they can safely handle a weapon then we move to outdoor ranges and fun stuff.
:iagree:

Every range I have been to here in the Houston area lets you stand right next to a shooter you are trying to teach. It is actually a requirement at some of them to be within arms reach of a youth shooter at all times that they are on the firing line. I can't imagine why they would want the more experienced person to be very far from a new shooter. It makes absolutely no sense.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”