Is PETA running DFW Gun range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Is PETA running DFW Gun range?

Post by Paladin »

As background I love animals and have had numerous dogs. I carry OC spray as a first line of defense against the numerous dog aggressions I've faced.

Today, I went to DFW gun range to put a few rounds down range and brought my own targets.

As dog attacks are extremely common 4.5 million bites/year in the US, and dog attacks are the most likely threat we face I brought some dog targets.

Specifically I brought a Rottweiler Law Enforcement Target. He isn't friendly looking. In fact he is charging with his jaws wide open.

DFW Gun Range's rules for targets state:
May I bring my own targets to shoot there?

Yes, however there is a minimum target size of 24" x 45"
FAQ

I tape smaller targets to bigger targets to make them the authorized size. Therefore my target qualifies to stated rule.

The range personnel inspect my targets and are "unsure" about if they are going to let me shoot the Rottweiler Law Enforcement Target. One says "he likes dogs"...as in he doesn't want me to be able to shoot the dog target... but later admits he has been attacked by a dog before. Another (with a holstered sidearm on his hip) says that he would just run from a dog. I was forced to point out that dogs outrun people (news to him). Range personnel bring up the issue with the owner. The owner allows me to shoot the targets "This time only". Apparently they are worried about offending other patrons over shooting a piece of paper.

LTC holders can not practice against photo realistic targets of our most likely threats? Not good. I guess it would also stink to be a hunter that brings a photo-realistic target too.

The last time I was at DFW Gun Range, during the Obama years, the range personnel stopped a young couple from shouldering their AR15 pistol. The pistol didn't have an "ATF unshoulderable arm brace". Just the plain buffer tube. At the time they said range rules and the ATF didn't allow patrons to shoulder any AR15 pistol. Today they say that shouldering an AR15 pistol is ok.

I mean I understand that they have rules and in the city they occasionally get weird people, but the inmates are running the asylum

Have extremists taken over DFW Gun Range?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is PETA running DFW Gun range?

Post by C-dub »

IMHO, shooting at a picture of a dog does nothing except desensitize a person towards shooting something they would normally have an issue shooting in the first place. YMMV

The one time I have tried shooting a “coyote” it was during a night match and the target was an IDPA target sideways and low to the ground like a coyote would have been. Almost everyone shot too high. There were only a few hits in the zero down area. I was surprised.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grundy1133 »

so stupid... If I saw someone shooting a dog target I'd wonder "where'd he get those I want some!" becuase like you said dog attacks are VERY likely to happen. I live out in the country and it wouldnt be unlikely for me to encounter coyotes wild dogs raccoons opossoms skunks etc etc... I have pest rounds but those wouldnt be able to stop a dog especially if its a good sized one... I need to see if the range I go to allows patrons to bring their own targets... BTW where did you get the dog targets?
NRA Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Grundy1133 wrote:so stupid... If I saw someone shooting a dog target I'd wonder "where'd he get those I want some!" becuase like you said dog attacks are VERY likely to happen. I live out in the country and it wouldnt be unlikely for me to encounter coyotes wild dogs raccoons opossoms skunks etc etc... I have pest rounds but those wouldnt be able to stop a dog especially if its a good sized one... I need to see if the range I go to allows patrons to bring their own targets... BTW where did you get the dog targets?
These days they call it Action Targets
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The funny part is that back in 2003 I shot my first Machinegun at DFW Gun Range. The range guy said "Lets make this fun!" and grabbed a photo-realistic target of Bin Laden. I put a lotta rounds thru Bin Laden that day with an MP-5K :fire

Now under new management I can't even continue to shoot a photo-realistic picture of an attacking Rottweiler. :headscratch

You have to shoot the photo-realistic targets to fully appreciate the differences between them and bulls-eye type targets. The aim-point on a bulls-eye is explicit. On a photo-realistic target, aim-point is all up to you. Sight picture can also be more of a challenge on photo-realistic targets as the sights can be more difficult to distinguish from the target.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I was a member of Bayou Shooting Center near Houston a couple years ago. During orientation they mentioned that you couldn't shoot at photos of people, including the then U.S. President (he was named Hussein something or other). I think these rules are more about avoiding bad publicity than anything else.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Pure liberal minded silliness! :banghead:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

My usual targets are paper plates
I do not and never have hated eating
I am not desensitized to liking food ... might be good if I was, but hasn't happened yet.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Simple solution: Stop going to DFW gun range.

When PC strikes there are solutions...

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Abraham wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:13 am Simple solution: Stop going to DFW gun range.

When PC strikes there are solutions...
Mmm Hmm.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The heart of a dog/wolf/coyote is quite low in the chest and from the side is almost aligned with the shoulder and elbow when standing. A thoracic shot from the front or side to take out the heart is difficult on a charging moving dog. Most people would tend t shoot high probably.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

puma guy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 am The heart of a dog/wolf/coyote is quite low in the chest and from the side is almost aligned with the shoulder and elbow when standing. A thoracic shot from the front or side to take out the heart is difficult on a charging moving dog. Most people would tend t shoot high probably.
how about mountain lions? in my neck of the woods (literally about 5 miles from my house) a fellow caught a mountain lion and her 3 cubs on his trail cam and another guy had his horse attacked. the horse is lucky to be alive.
NRA Member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Should you be sensitive to a dog attack? If you’re being attacked you are able to protect yourself. We all practice different shooting scenarios, what’s the issue with this particular drill?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

While cycling home, I was attacked this morning by 50 pound or so mutt that came streaking, angrily barking out of a yard with an open gate.

I had my pepper spray in hand and one quick burst later - said dog streaked faster than he came out back into his yard.

While out cycling this happens frequently.

I never think I'll have to shoot one, but if I crash, go down and a big pit, GS, rott, chow etc. comes for me, my G19 will be in my hand with a fixed blade knife in the other.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”