Ranges around McKinney

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Wag2323
Posts in topic: 2

Ranges around McKinney

Post by Wag2323 »

So I recently moved to McKinney and now that things are settling down I need to get back to a range. What are my options in the area? For now I'm looking for pistol but later somewhere for carbine and rifle.

skeathley

Re: Ranges around McKinney

Post by skeathley »

Your options are limited:

Bullet Trap in Plano (pistol or 25 yd rifle) *
Frisco Gun Club (pistol or 100 yd rifle) (difficult to get in)
Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville (pistol only)
Garland Public Range (outdoor, pistol or 100 yd rifle) *

* My choices, although Eagle is good as well.

(My range is not public)

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

A new range is coming to Allen, TX. Pistols and 50 yards rifle. Constructions did not start yet. City Approved the Zoning change and building permit
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grundy1133 »

skeathley wrote:Your options are limited:

Bullet Trap in Plano (pistol or 25 yd rifle) *
Frisco Gun Club (pistol or 100 yd rifle) (difficult to get in)
Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville (pistol only)
Garland Public Range (outdoor, pistol or 100 yd rifle) *

* My choices, although Eagle is good as well.

(My range is not public)

:fire
Is it the Denton County Sports Association?
NRA Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:
skeathley wrote:Garland Public Range (outdoor, pistol or 100 yd rifle) * Be aware, no FMJ for rifles allowed
Just an FYI above, but otherwise it's a nice 50 + 100 yd rifle range. The handgun range is meh and they have shotgun traps on the far left for casual clay-pigeon stuff. You have to take their 4-minute safety/rules class for $15 or so, after which you get your membership-card (can't shoot without it). I'd also suggest you pony up the 50c or so for them to laminate it right there on their machine.
After they lost the law suit and had to pay $450,000 in damages I would never go back to GPR.
Beiruty,

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Beiruty wrote:
AndyC wrote:
skeathley wrote:Garland Public Range (outdoor, pistol or 100 yd rifle) * Be aware, no FMJ for rifles allowed
Just an FYI above, but otherwise it's a nice 50 + 100 yd rifle range. The handgun range is meh and they have shotgun traps on the far left for casual clay-pigeon stuff. You have to take their 4-minute safety/rules class for $15 or so, after which you get your membership-card (can't shoot without it). I'd also suggest you pony up the 50c or so for them to laminate it right there on their machine.
After they lost the law suit and had to pay $450,000 in damages I would never go back to GPR.
Why not? They made a lot of changes... and I'm still not convinced the round came from the range.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

cyphertext wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Why not? They made a lot of changes... and I'm still not convinced the round came from the range.
As matter of fact, they were Nazi range freaks before the errant bullet flight from somewhere. And, I guess they would be more Range Nazi today then 8 yrs ago.I was accused of not clearing my rifle and my innocent rifle got mishandled badly.
Beiruty,

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Beiruty wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
AndyC wrote:
As matter of fact, they were Nazi range freaks before the errant bullet flight from somewhere. And, I guess they would be more Range Nazi today then 8 yrs ago.I was accused of not clearing my rifle and my innocent rifle got mishandled badly.
I've never had an issue with them being "Nazi range freaks"... not even when my SKS triple tapped.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

My interactions with them have been pretty good.

:txflag:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”