Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Not recommended- TX Gun Range Midlothian

Post by bblhd672 »

http://txgunrange.com
Had afternoon off, loaded up and headed down the highway to the range I most often shoot at. Walking from car to office I noted there was one other person shooting. Got to door of office and read notice taped to it- “New policies. No personal targets. No more law enforcement or veteran discounts.” Stepped in the door and asked “So I can no longer use my personal targets?” That’s correct I was told. Then I asked the group of idle RSO’s sitting around, “Do you want people to come shoot here?” I then told them I would no longer be doing business there and left.

This is a range I’ve been a member of for almost 2 years, continuing to go there even after the owners posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs.

Went home and sent following email to the contact listed on the website:
Subject: You lost a customer today
Today was the last time I will turn into your parking lot to do business with you. Your new policies of no personal targets and no military/law enforcement discount posted on the door was the last straw. I have ALWAYS bought at least one target when I come there, occasionally 2. When I shoot out a target bought from you and can’t patch it anymore, it seems very slimy that now I cannot pull out one of my personal targets to continue shooting. Yeah, I’d rather go somewhere else than pay you another dollar for an additional target.
As a veteran and a supporter of law enforcement your new no discounts is a slap in the face to those who put themselves on the line daily for us.
I held my nose and renewed my membership even after you posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs, continuing to do business with you despite your misguided policies regarding the most law abiding citizens of Texas, LTC holders. I even recommended your range when asked where I go to shoot. Not anymore. You probably don’t even realize the business that posting your range .06 and .07 cost you. I personally know several people who quit going to your range then.
Yes, I understand “safety is priority” and your range, your rules. I can no longer tolerate your overly restrictive policies thus I will be shooting at other ranges from now on.
In any business, it’s always wise not to enact policies that alienate your customer base.

Your former customer
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Not recommended- TX Gun Range Midlothian

Post by puma guy »

Sorry to hear that about the range. I visited when it first opened and wa basicaluy a mud hole. Shooting was limited to short trange pidtol. They seemed like nice folks and told me all the plans they had. I visit Mandfield frequently and have visited several otjer ranges near my daughter. I asked her father in law to go with me to Tx gun range about a year ago and he said no thanks I didn't question why, so I don't know his reason. Went to Alpine which is a stones throw from their home.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

You are most patient because when the 30.06 sign went up I would have never set a foot in the place again.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 pm You are most patient because when the 30.06 sign went up I would have never set a foot in the place again.
You beat me to it. That is not a safety issue anymore than it is in a bookstore - except to the extent that it makes the place LESS safe.

There ARE other ranges down there. You can even shoot at ETTS as the guest of a member, for a $20 fee, and operate by big boy rules, and shoot anything you want, as fast as you want. No M855 ball allowed, but other FMJ OK. They’ve got everything from pistol bays to a 1300 yard rifle range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 pm You are most patient because when the 30.06 sign went up I would have never set a foot in the place again.
Agreed, I would have never set foot there again as well.
Truth against the world

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I've been driving past this range since it opened and have been thinking about buying a membership. After reading these reviews as well as other negative information received from friends, I believe I will look for a membership elsewhere.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

What's the logic behind "no personal targets"?...

Too many Obama/Hillary targets? Or.. Did some lefty show up with a Trump target and people got mad?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am What's the logic behind "no personal targets"?...

Too many Obama/Hillary targets? Or.. Did some lefty show up with a Trump target and people got mad?
More than likely, they saw that they were not making enough money, if someone brought their own targets, and wanted to be able to charge them inflated prices. I have been to ranges, where the cost for use, included a target, but never have I been told I could not use my own. If that ever happens, I will do exactly as the OP, and never darken their doorway again. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jusme wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am What's the logic behind "no personal targets"?...

More than likely, they saw that they were not making enough money, if someone brought their own targets, and wanted to be able to charge them inflated prices. I have been to ranges, where the cost for use, included a target, but never have I been told I could not use my own. If that ever happens, I will do exactly as the OP, and never darken their doorway again. JMHO
My MO is to buy one big target, then use my own 3x5 index cards stapled on top, so I can have fresh places to shoot without changing the big target. The big target gives me some POA zone perspective and buying one from the range is easier than trying to carry my own. Given that my local range charges me a good sum to shoot, I'm having trouble feeling bad for not buying multiple targets.

Was really just wondering if there's a good reason for the range-target-only policy. Seems the revenue generated can't be huge enough to be worth alienating people.
:confused5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I agree with Jusme, taking away LE/Military discounts and no more personal targets could indicate financial reasons.

FWIW, they did respond to my email:
"We appreciate you sending us an email. We respect your decision and will remove you from the membership list.
Range Master"
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 am

I agree with Jusme, taking away LE/Military discounts and no more personal targets could indicate financial reasons.

"We appreciate you sending us an email. We respect your decision and will remove you from the membership list.
Range Master"
Yes, Many small businesses become penny wise and dollar foolish without realizing it.

How many paper targets do you think they could buy with just one month of your membership fees? A couple months of your fees could have put them in enough targets for a year... Yet now they loose a full year's worth of income from not only you but many LEO and Military customers..... What they should have done was INCREASE the discount given to LEO/Military.... Just those few extra dollars they loose out usually comes back 10 fold in revenue as the word get's out....

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 am

My MO is to buy one big target, then use my own 3x5 index cards stapled on top, so I can have fresh places to shoot without changing the big target. The big target gives me some POA zone perspective and buying one from the range is easier than trying to carry my own. Given that my local range charges me a good sum to shoot, I'm having trouble feeling bad for not buying multiple targets.

Was really just wondering if there's a good reason for the range-target-only policy. Seems the revenue generated can't be huge enough to be worth alienating people.
:confused5
I went there at least once a month, so let's say that's the average. 12 visits a year X $15.00 range fee per visit (which includes first target) is $180. Add in the annual $10 membership fee for total of $190 in lost revenue from me. Just to break even on loss of my business, they have to sell 190 additional targets over the course of the year.

I understand that it must be very expensive to build, operate and maintain a shooting range. The insurance alone has to be outrageous.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:59 am

Range Master"
Yes, Many small businesses become penny wise and dollar foolish without realizing it.

How many paper targets do you think they could buy with just one month of your membership fees? A couple months of your fees could have put them in enough targets for a year... Yet now they loose a full year's worth of income from not only you but many LEO and Military customers..... What they should have done was INCREASE the discount given to LEO/Military.... Just those few extra dollars they loose out usually comes back 10 fold in revenue as the word get's out....
Quote from their website:
Our range is a friendly place for all! We are the only range in Texas with a female co-owner and manager. Half of our staff are former military!
Wonder how half their staff feels about the decision to remove military discount?

From a customer review:
They have a great relationship with VETERANS. We gather Special pricing on membership & range fees.
Uh...not anymore apparently.
The TxGunrange is a one-of-a-kind outdoor gun range locate​d just south of Dallas Fort-Worth
Hmmm...I've never noticed anything "one of a kind" about the range. Perhaps they are referring to their policies! :biggrinjester:

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am
Tex1961 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:59 am

Range Master"

Quote from their website:
Our range is a friendly place for all! We are the only range in Texas with a female co-owner and manager. Half of our staff are former military!
Wonder how half their staff feels about the decision to remove military discount?

From a customer review:
They have a great relationship with VETERANS. We gather Special pricing on membership & range fees.
Uh...not anymore apparently.
The TxGunrange is a one-of-a-kind outdoor gun range locate​d just south of Dallas Fort-Worth
Hmmm...I've never noticed anything "one of a kind" about the range. Perhaps they are referring to their policies! :biggrinjester:
Well, they are located in a giant hole and not all that easy to get to so maybe they're looking for any way to improve the bottom line. Denying the use of personal targets is a petty and dumb business decision if that's their aim.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”