WLP Resigning, Effective 31-JAN-2024

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: WLP Resigning, Effective 31-JAN-2024

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

In the OP's opening comment in this thread, I noticed that there was a recent meeting in Irving, Texas (Dallas County, right next to DFW airport).

I had started a thread some months ago, about the NRA scouting some potential sites in the Las Colinas area of Irving, then I never heard another peep about it.

Does anyone know if the NRA has purchased property in Las Colinas, or anywhere else in Irving

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

Hopefully this link works..
NRA Nearing A Deal For New HQ At Las Colinas Office Building
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... ing-120394
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Offered without comment...

Wayne LaPierre, NRA found liable in lawsuit over lavish spending
During the trial, state lawyers argued that he dodged financial disclosure requirements while treating the NRA as his personal piggy bank, liberally dipping into its coffers for African safaris and other questionable expenditures.

His lawyer cast the trial as a political witch hunt by James.

LaPierre billed the NRA more than $11 million for private jet flights and spent more than $500,000 on eight trips to the Bahamas over a three-year span, state lawyers said.

He also authorized $135 million in NRA contracts for a vendor whose owners showered him with free trips to the Bahamas, Greece, Dubai and India, as well as access to a 108-foot (33-meter) yacht.

LaPierre claimed he hadn’t realized the travel tickets, hotel stays, meals, yacht access and other luxury perks counted as gifts, and that the private jet flights were necessary for his safety.

But he conceded that he had wrongly expensed private flights for his family and accepted vacations from vendors doing business with the NRA without disclosing them.

Among those who testified at the trial was Oliver North, a one-time NRA president and former National Security Council military aide best known for his central role in the Iran-Contra scandal of the 1980s. North, who resigned from the NRA in 2019, said he was pushed out after raising allegations of financial irregularities.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

This is no time for timidity, and I will share my honest thoughts.

I am totally disgusted at what to me looks like deep corruption of the NRA leadership and board members who appear to have allowed, facilitated, and concealed the apparent wanton self serving behavior of the NRA officers, its legal counsel, and its "consultants" to the detriment of the organization. According to published reports from the case, they appear to have misdirected many millions of the hard earned dues and contributions of the members that were given in good faith for the preservation of our freedoms for their own enrichment and the concealment of their misdeeds.

Among this group are many people I formerly considered to be ethical champions of our rights and freedoms, and above reproach. It is horrifying to find out otherwise.

If there is another innocent way to interpret the information that has come out in court, please enlighten me.

In my opinion this case should ignite a membership revolt. Each and every last officer and board member should be summarily fired and barred from ever holding office in the NRA again. A full external forensic audit should be conducted to determine the actual financial status of the organization, to recover misdirected funds where possible, and to identify any prosecutable crimes that have occurred.

The truth this case has exposed is much uglier than I could have imagined, and Letitia James may have done us a favor here by bringing it all to light, although her motives were far from altruistic.

The challenge here is to renew the organization with new leadership champions to resurrect it from the muck and keep it from losing its effectiveness in the ongoing fight for our rights. There will still be much good left when the rot is washed away.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Excaliber wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am If there is another innocent way to interpret the information that has come out in court, please enlighten me.
I feel similarly..
Excaliber wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am The truth this case has exposed is much uglier than I could have imagined, and Letitia James may have done us a favor here by bringing it all to light, although her motives were far from altruistic.
I look forward to sending her a thank you card once the organization is cleaned up. I'm sure her hubris and gloating obscures her ability to appreciate the irony that her actions might actually save the NRA. I'm certain she would appreciate the members thanking her for that ;-) . It seems we're past wondering whether she had real basis for her actions, even though I would impugn her motivations in the strongest terms.
Excaliber wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am The challenge here is to renew the organization with new leadership champions to resurrect it from the muck and keep it from losing its effectiveness in the ongoing fight for our rights. There will still be much good left when the rot is washed away.
From the Ammoland opinion piece above...
It is my hope that the judge will remove all officers and directors who have failed in their fiduciary obligations to NRA members, appoint a Special Master or Receiver to oversee a thorough housecleaning and reorganization of the Association, and appoint a Members’ Committee, made up of candidates recommended by the various state associations, to help guide and direct that reorganization.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grayling813 »

Excaliber wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am This is no time for timidity, and I will share my honest thoughts.

I am totally disgusted at what to me looks like deep corruption of the NRA leadership and board members who appear to have allowed, facilitated, and concealed the apparent wanton self serving behavior of the NRA officers, its legal counsel, and its "consultants" to the detriment of the organization. According to published reports from the case, they appear to have misdirected many millions of the hard earned dues and contributions of the members that were given in good faith for the preservation of our freedoms for their own enrichment and the concealment of their misdeeds.

Among this group are many people I formerly considered to be ethical champions of our rights and freedoms, and above reproach. It is horrifying to find out otherwise.

If there is another innocent way to interpret the information that has come out in court, please enlighten me.

In my opinion this case should ignite a membership revolt. Each and every last officer and board member should be summarily fired and barred from ever holding office in the NRA again. A full external forensic audit should be conducted to determine the actual financial status of the organization, to recover misdirected funds where possible, and to identify any prosecutable crimes that have occurred.

The truth this case has exposed is much uglier than I could have imagined, and Letitia James may have done us a favor here by bringing it all to light, although her motives were far from altruistic.

The challenge here is to renew the organization with new leadership champions to resurrect it from the muck and keep it from losing its effectiveness in the ongoing fight for our rights. There will still be much good left when the rot is washed away.
Thanks for speaking up. There's more than a few forum members who are disgusted by what the trial revealed, but they do not speak up due to the possibility of being banned from this forum for making posts against the NRA.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

To be clear, I haven't spoken against the NRA, which I have supported all my life and am currently a patron member. I spoke out against the apparent corruption that has victimized every member of the NRA.

Every member should be enraged about what WLP's trial has revealed, and major changes must be made immediately or membership will take a nose dive and the organization will wither as honest folks recoil from what the leadership has been doing.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Excaliber wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:46 am To be clear, I haven't spoken against the NRA, which I have supported all my life and am currently a patron member. I spoke out against the apparent corruption that has victimized every member of the NRA.

Every member should be enraged about what WLP's trial has revealed, and major changes must be made immediately or membership will take a nose dive and the organization will wither as honest folks recoil from what the leadership has been doing.
:iagree:
My apologies, I understand what you're saying and I should have phrased my response differently so it was clear that I meant speaking critically/negatively of WLP's actions that got members banned from the forum.

There were a lot of denials that any of the stories about corruption within the NRA were true, just wait and see we were told. Now we see.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Given that this forum is hosted in a place that Charles pays for and we post here by his grace, it's been difficult to to ask the hard questions.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I can't say whether anything going on here is justified or not, just interesting.
Marion Hammer’s NRA Contract Terminated
Bottom line, as of today, I have no employment income and no retirement income.
Later this week (April 26th) I’ll be 85 years old. So much for over 40 years of dedicated service and work for NRA.
Respectfully,
Marion P. Hammer
[quoting from further down in the opinion piece]
You will remember that Marion called out Cotton’s EVP search committee in February and earlier in January had called for a search committee to fill the spot.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 am I can't say whether anything going on here is justified or not, just interesting.
Later this week (April 26th) I’ll be 85 years old. So much for over 40 years of dedicated service and work for NRA.
Respectfully,
Marion P. Hammer
You will remember that Marion called out Cotton’s EVP search committee in February and earlier in January had called for a search committee to fill the spot.
I could understand Marion being upset about not earning a salary or receiving the final 4 years of her retirement contract, but if you are 85 years old and didn't save a dime that is your own fault. I don't know anybody that plans to need to earn an income past 85 years old. Does she really have no social security? I'm thinking she is greatly exaggerating about having no income.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

One of the comments to the post indicated Marion was being paid $200k/year.... suggesting that she had the ability to save over her 45 years working for the NRA.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 am I can't say whether anything going on here is justified or not, just interesting.
Respectfully,
Marion P. Hammer
Good riddance to a long time leech on member's dues and contributions.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Excaliber wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am I am totally disgusted at what to me looks like deep corruption of the NRA leadership and board members who appear to have allowed, facilitated, and concealed the apparent wanton self serving behavior of the NRA officers...
Each and every last officer and board member should be summarily fired and barred from ever holding office in the NRA again.
I reckon so. Ride with outlaws, die with outlaws. Get the rope.
-Ruark

Return to “National Rifle Association”