NRA press conference LIVE 9:45AM CST

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Re: NRA press conference LIVE 9:45AM CST

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

XinTX wrote:Not comfortable with discussion of a national database for the 'mentally ill'. Nor the finger pointing toward movies and video games. I understand some of where he's coming from in discussion of the video games (which, apparently Lanza was playing almost full time up until he snapped). I think some of the effect of that is discussed in "The Bulletproof Mind" series. The effects of video games on the unstable is chilling. But someone has to be disconnected from reality before it has such an impact. But I don't think it the best idea to defend the 2nd amendment by pointing fingers at issues with the 1st. And the issue with a database for the mentally ill could have some abuses by government as well. Remember, there are a lot of people that think you're crazy just because you want to own a gun. So a 'national database' could be used to set up a gun ban via a 'Catch 22'.

He also called for 'Congress' to take action. Securing schools should be a local issue, rather than a top-down federal 'solution'.
The reference to mental health dealt with people who have been adjudicated by a court as being mentally incompetent, not people who are merely are under a doctor's care. These people are already prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law. Wayne wasn't calling for a new database, he was talking about getting all states to comply with current law and get the information in the NICS database.

Like it or not, mentally incompetent people possessing firearms is not only against the law, all but a very small minority of Americans don't want these people to have guns.

The call to congress is to fund existing programs that provide money to school districts to put officers in every school. He also called for congress to require all states to comply with current law requiring updating the NICS database with people who have been adjudged mentally incompetent. By no means was he suggesting that congress come up with a solution; that's why the NRA created The National School Shield project.

Chas.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

I thought the new conference was good, but the NRA is missing the boat on gathering funds for the program.

I know folks that would not donate to/through the NRA for this program, but if they new 100% of their funds were going only to this program they would gladly support it.

http://www.nraschoolshield.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They really need to set up this program so folks can donate funds that will ONLY be used to make school safer, not for any other issues. I can see a much broader audience of donors if they do.

I don't have an email addy or contacts at NRA to suggest this, but hopefully Charles will.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

karder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karder »

I was really pleased with this announcement. Security in schools is the only thing that makes any sense and the NRA is really well positioned to provide the training and work up a plan. FINALLY! Someone is offering a real solution, that we can initiate immediately and will increase the safety of our kids substantially. Too bad our elected leaders couldn't do that. They are too busy "having a conversation". The NRA can count on a generous contribution from me to go toward the National Shield Program. :patriot:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Minor quibble: Mr LaPierre needs to use a teleprompter.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was impressed by something else too. I think that the NRA showed great wisdom and restraint by waiting a week to jump into the verbal fray, and then doing it in the context of a long presser where he could outline the NRA's complete response, instead of acting defensively against soundbite accusations. The money quote was: "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." The almost instantaneous hysteria in the media which followed—"OMG!!!! HE WANTS TO PUT MORE GUNS IN THE SCHOOLS!!!!!"—will ultimately be forgotten. What won't be forgotten, and which people will repeat and remember over the long haul is that quote: "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." It won't matter what Piers Morgan and his fellow nancy-boys in the media think. NORMAL, everyday, working class, Americans will remember that quote.

For anyone who cares to actually parse what he said, we can point out that he reminded reporters he had made the same suggestion about placing armed security on school campuses after the VA Tech shooting, the nation did nothing, and now we have Sandy Hook. LaPierre did not come off like some kind of monster. He spoke passionately, not like a soulless automaton. He made the case that we are also parents, teachers, and students. He made the case that the NRA provides safety training. If others refuse to take advantage of that safety training, that is on them, not the NRA.

AND, he made the LONG OVERDUE point that there is something morally bankrupt about government employees who can vote themselves armed protection, but who would deny it to the voters whose incomes pay their salaries.

In my opinion, this was the single most brilliant thing I've seen Wayne LaPierre do in the 20 years that I've been a member. Not that I have disagreed with him, but he has more often than not played a behind-the-scenes role with regard to the media; so this particular appearance was very well handled.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stroo

Post by stroo »

NRA has taken a good approach here offering a solution that would actually work. I might quibble with pieces of it but the message is exactly right.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

Ensuring the states completely update the NICS database with court-adjudicated mental cases is a good step. It would have likely stopped Cho (the VA Tech shooter) from being able to buy his guns and would have likely picked up the Arizona shooter. I've not heard whether the Aurora CO shooter was on anyone's list (I think not, although folks around him found him frightening). We've not heard the last regarding the CT shooter, but one news report indicated he may never have been formally diagnosed or counseled.

No law can stop evil and we can't identify with 100% certainty these mentally unstable folks who may be flying under the radar. From a personal perspective, I've raised three adopted children diagnosed with RAD and ODD. They've been to years of counseling, yet no court would today say they belong on somebodies list - they aren't crazy. That said, I would recommend they should never be allowed to own a gun - they have zero conscience.
Last edited by kragluver on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

I also think the protesters showing up and acting like they did was good for our cause. They came across as complete irrational emotional idiots and I support their 1st Amendment to do so.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Posts in topic: 4

Post by 77346 »

After watching Wayne's speech and the rest of the news conference I sent another contribution to the NRA-ILA... I figure they'll need every penny.
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

[youtube][/youtube]
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

The information on video games creating more violent people is itneresting. I know there have been many studies for a long time looking at movies and TV as well. The video games seem to have a higher impact. With that said, what makes me uncomfortable with that line of arument is that is seems like a very similar argument against guns.

We frequently cheer the phrase "guns don't kill people, people do". It seems like we are now saying, "guns don't kill people, video games do". I know it's more complex that that and if he was just preaching to the choir, then fine. I'm afraid to the rest of the world, that's what i think they hear.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: {snip}
I have no doubt that violent games and movies have had an impact on society. It doesn't turn most people into homicidal maniacs, but the impact cannot be denied. I know we have a lot gamers on the Forum, but don't try to convince me that Grand Theft Auto that glorifies assaulting prostitutes and killing COPS, and other games that are worse, are wholesome for our kids.

Wayne gave a great speech. He pointed out the lack of funding for school security as compared to other people and institutions. I'm thrilled about our new School Shield Program. Once again, the NRA has a plan -- not just talking heads.

Chas.
:iagree: Good speech with which I take no exception. :clapping:

chartreuse
Posts in topic: 7

Post by chartreuse »

I'm afraid that I must disagree with the general round of back slapping. This may make me unpopular, but I can live with that.

I found many of the statements made this morning to be troubling, to say the least. It would appear that the NRA is proposing another TSA, despite the fact that we, in Texas, have proven that there is no need for yet another bureaucratic machine, given that ordinary folks are quite capable of responding to such situations.

Frankly, if the only way that Mr. Pierre can think of to defend gun rights is expanding bureaucracy and putting the country further into unsustainable debt, then we need to fire him and hire somebody who is less useless.

chartreuse
Posts in topic: 7

Post by chartreuse »

The Annoyed Man wrote:What won't be forgotten, and which people will repeat and remember over the long haul is that quote: "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
This is true and was a very fine thing for Mr. La Pierre to say. I am just saddened by the rest of the beltway "give a guy a bureaucracy and who cares about the cost" games that he played today.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

chartreuse wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:What won't be forgotten, and which people will repeat and remember over the long haul is that quote: "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
This is true and was a very fine thing for Mr. La Pierre to say. I am just saddened by the rest of the beltway "give a guy a bureaucracy and who cares about the cost" games that he played today.
I may need to watch the speech again, but it didn't seem to me that he was suggesting a Federal level program to secure schools.

On the contrary, it seemed it was suggesting a grassroots local effort.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “National Rifle Association”