Rob Pincus - NRA BOD Write In Candidate

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Rob Pincus - NRA BOD Write In Candidate

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Rob Pincus posted the following on Facebook:

"I have decided to throw my hat in the ring and run for the 76th Seat on the NRA Board of Directors! In order to qualify for this seat, which is voted on at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis this April, I need as many write in votes as possible as part of the General Election.
I strongly believe that a position on the NRA BoD will allow me to do more work to promote our rights and responsibilities related to firearms ownership!

You have until April 6th to get your ballot in. Historically, less than 10% of eligible voters participate... Let's up the numbers and get those ballots in! Please spread the word!! ‪#‎pincus4NRA‬

I am truly honored by the early support and encouragement that this announcement has brought in! I know that some of you have already sent your ballots in, but perhaps you know people who haven't. Thanks Much!"

I'm curious how this will be received by current board members since this wasn't part of the normal nominating process.

I've followed Mr. Pincus for years and have enjoyed his writings and teachings. I think that he could do a good job for the NRA.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rob Pincus - NRA BOD Write In Candidate

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm not a fan. Rubs me the wrong way. Maybe style over substance.? Might just be me.?

Related reading: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php? ... ctober-6th" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Listening: http://ballisticradio.com/2013/10/07/po ... er-6-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watching: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... incus&sm=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

My question is why he didn't make this decision earlier and submit his packet to the Nominating Committee to be fully vetted. I'm not saying anything against him, but when someone with a media outlet and a gun-related business bypasses the vetting process, I can't help but wonder why? Being a "gun guy" or in a gun-related business doesn't make someone a good fit for the NRA Board. Relevant experience with a proven track record is what matters.

Chas.

Nicolai

Post by Nicolai »

My wife and I have been voting members for a number of years and we appreciate the hard work of the NRA BOD Nominating Committee. There (almost) always seems to be more good candidates than available vacancies on the BOD.
Let Pincus go through the usual process to get on the ballot and let the voting membership decide.

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I'm a bit intrigued by this write in campaign and I have since been following it to see if Mr. Pincus would offer any more information than he did when he initially posted about running for the NRA BOD.

Apparently and appropriately, Mr. Pincus has received a lot of questions about his running for the NRA BOD. Here is the response that he posted on his ICE training website:

February 27, 2014 in I.C.E. Announcements, I.C.E. Training in the Media

Earlier this week, I announced my interest in running for the 76th Seat on the National Rifle Association’s Board of Directors.

Since that news went out, I’ve been asked three questions several times, in this order of frequency:

-How do I support you / vote for you?
-Why do you want to be on the NRA BoD?
-What is the deal with the “76th Seat” ?

’m going to answer them in reverse order:

1. What is the deal with the “76th Seat” ?

75 of the BoD seats are three year terms. Most NRA Voting Members (more on that in a moment) are used to seeing a Ballot on which they can vote for up to 25 people every year. Historically, a very low percentage (under 10) of the eligible NRA Voting Members return their ballots. When the ballots are received the top 25 got getters for the year are put on the board. There are three types of people who get votes on those ballots: Nominees, Petitioners and Write-Ins. The Nominees were selected by a committee of existing Board Members after throwing their hat in the ring. This is, by far, the most usual route for someone getting on the NRA BoD. Petitioners have submitted the names and personal information of at least 250 (often many more) voting members of the NRA who have said that they will support them. The number of Petitioners is controlled pretty tightly, to keep the ballots from having thousands of people with a strong local support group on them, so it is important that Petitioners have a large following. The last type of vote getter on the mail-in ballots are Write-Ins. That is for people who, like me, have not gone through any extensive campaigning or selection process specific to the NRA Elections. It is very unlikely that anyone will get enough Write-In Votes to win one of the three year seats. The 76th Seat on the Board is a one year term and is handled a bit differently. The 76th Seat is voted on attendees of the NRA Annual Meeting. This year’s meeting will be in Indianapolis, IN on the last weekend in April. Quite often, the 76th Seat has been where those who were unsuccessful in their bid to win a 3 year seat end up running a second campaign. I am choosing to run for this 76th Seat directly, but, as it turns out, I need to demonstrate that I have support with a solid showing in the Write-Ins in order to qualify to be part of the voting at the NRA Annual Meeting.

2. Why do you want to be on the NRA Board of Directors?

This question has been asked in a few different ways: Inquisitive Sincerity, Challenge and Incredulousness. Some people just want to here the simple answer, others may feel that it is strange that I am putting myself into this position and some people think that, even if it were to win, it is a colossal waste of my (already thinly stretched) time. To all of them, I submit the following answer:

I believe that a position on the NRA Board of Directors will allow me to do more to promote our firearms ownership rights and responsibilities!

It is, honestly, not any more complicated than that. I’m going to keep doing what I do:

Training people interested in Defensive Shooting
Educating people in all areas of Personal Defense
Developing Instructors who wish to Teach Others
Encouraging Members of the Firearms Community to meet their Responsibilities as Gun Owners
Educating the Middle Ground in America about Firearms Rights & Responsibilities.
Debating, and in many cases Correcting, the actions and assertions of those who are “Anit-Gun”in our Country.
I think it should be pretty clear how my ability to do most of those things can be enhanced by being a member of the NRA BoD. Ultimately, it is the last three items that will be most improved with a position on the board. I will be able to reach more people and, possibly, effect more change and positive movement. If elected, I would also do what I could to make the organization itself more responsive to the issue that I care most about in our community: Training, Education and Educating America’s Middle Ground on the Right to Keep & Bear Arms and what it means to be a Responsible Firearms Owner. Until I am on the board, I have little idea what good I might be able to do internally, but I strongly believe that I can have a greater impact on the community and country at large. I have spoken to many people who currently serve on the board and some who have previously been there. I have heard a great deal of mixed opinion about exactly what an NRA Board Member can do, should do and what they have felt the value of their position and the contributions that have come from their positions are. I am confident that I am making the right choice for the right reasons. I submit to you my track record as a Gun Rights Advocate, my Passion for Firearms Education and Responsibility and the (almost 20 year) history I have in the Industry and Firearms Community.

I have been a shooter for basically all of my life and a gun owner for most of it.
I’ve worked in just about every aspect of the firearms industry: Training, Education, Media, Retail, Marketing, Sales, Event Organization and Manufacturing.
I’ve worked with many of the leaders in the industry, including many NRA Board Members, and most of the major companies at one time or another and am proud to count much of the industry leadership as friends and peers in one of America’s most important and unique sectors.
I have taught or spoken at conferences, on ranges and in classrooms around the country for over a decade and I spend about 300 days a year on the road doing it.
I have been constant contributor to the conversation about firearms rights in our community and in the general media since the late 1990′s.
In the 2013 alone, I participated in over 100 Radio call-in interviews around the country on the topics of Firearms Rights and/or Personal Defense ((non-firearms talk or news programs,many of which are listed below) and made many appearances on Firearms Community radio shows and podcasts, including regular appearances on Armed American Radio.
I want to be an NRA Board of Director so that I can do more of what I already do.

3. How do I support you / vote for you?

This has been the BEST thing that people have said in response to my announcement and I sincerely thank each and every one of you, voting member or not, who have let me know that you support and appreciate my efforts!

-If You ARE a Voting Member and you still have your Ballot for the NRA BoD:

Simply write “Rob Pincus, Bexley Ohio” in on the write in portion of the ballot, as pictured in this blog. Follow the rest of the guidelines and send the ballot in by April 6th!

-If you ARE a Voting Member and you do not have your Ballot:

This is a little trickier. Paul Carlson of Safety Solutions Academy has outline the steps (and written a generous endorsement, which I greatly appreciate). Check it out HERE! Or, simply contact the NRA.

-If you are not a voting member or have already sent in your ballot: Please Spread the Word to anyone in the community who may be a voter or know one!

After that, if the write in campaign to get on the ballot at the actual NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis is Successful, I will be putting the call out for as many supporters as possible to attend the NRAAM and cast their vote for me to proudly take the 76th Seat on the BoD!

Thank you for your consideration of my run for the NRA Board!

-Rob Pincus
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Nicolai wrote:My wife and I have been voting members for a number of years and we appreciate the hard work of the NRA BOD Nominating Committee. There (almost) always seems to be more good candidates than available vacancies on the BOD.
Let Pincus go through the usual process to get on the ballot and let the voting membership decide.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

On the Write-In issue I am going to be a contrarian.

I do not know Rob Pincus and do not support or oppose him.

I do not know his motivations or reasons for not going the normal route for getting on the ballot.

The Write-In process is allowed by NRA rules, just as it is in many public elections.

As long as Pincus or any other write-in candidate follows the proper channels to get on the ballot I have no problem with it.

Do your own research and vote for the candidate of your choice. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

I don't recall hearing of the gentleman before but the ruffled feathers remind me a lot of the Republican old guard's reaction to Ted Cruz. I think I need to give him a good look now. Thanks for posting.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

extremist

Post by extremist »

I like Rob Pincus. I have taken his Combat Focus shooting course and learned a lot from it. I will be writing in a vote for him as will my wife.

He is a good asset, and does more for gun rights than a lot, just by being an training ambassador. Check him out. He has his Personal Defense Network website with lots of free training videos and tips.

Also works a lot with Michael Bane, Mike Seeklander, and Michael Janich.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

If you are an ardent supporter of the micro-1911 as a self-defense weapon, then you probably shouldn't vote for Rob Pincus.

Otherwise, he would make a good BoD member.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gringo pistolero wrote:I don't recall hearing of the gentleman before but the ruffled feathers remind me a lot of the Republican old guard's reaction to Ted Cruz. I think I need to give him a good look now. Thanks for posting.
So we of the "old guard" should be ignored simply because we've been involved for a long time? I guess you have a point, since all we've done at the state level is pass 1) state preemption laws; 2) concealed-carry; 3) law suit preemption; 4) prohibition of firearms confiscation during emergencies; 5) "Castle Doctrine" on steroids; 6) Motorist Protection Act (unlicensed car-carry); 7) creation of TPC §30.06 making it hard to bar armed CHLs; 8) "employer parking lot" protection; 9) sport shooting range protection; as well as several CHL clean-up bills expanding firearms rights. I know we've passed numerous other bills, but due to my advanced age, I cannot recall them specifically. Oh yeah, we killed every anti-gun bill since . . . well, I can't recall the last anti-gun bill that passed. This doesn't include anything at the federal level.

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:I don't recall hearing of the gentleman before but the ruffled feathers remind me a lot of the Republican old guard's reaction to Ted Cruz. I think I need to give him a good look now. Thanks for posting.
So we of the "old guard" should be ignored simply because we've been involved for a long time? I guess you have a point, since all we've done at the state level is pass 1) state preemption laws; 2) concealed-carry; 3) law suit preemption; 4) prohibition of firearms confiscation during emergencies; 5) "Castle Doctrine" on steroids; 6) Motorist Protection Act (unlicensed car-carry); 7) creation of TPC §30.06 making it hard to bar armed CHLs; 8) "employer parking lot" protection; 9) sport shooting range protection; as well as several CHL clean-up bills expanding firearms rights. I know we've passed numerous other bills, but due to my advanced age, I cannot recall them specifically. Oh yeah, we killed every anti-gun bill since . . . well, I can't recall the last anti-gun bill that passed. This doesn't include anything at the federal level.

Chas.
Thats just old guard thinking Chas. :biggrinjester:

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Okay, where is the "LIKE" button when you need it. :thumbs2:
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

jmra

Post by jmra »

Dan20703 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Okay, where is the "LIKE" button when you need it. :thumbs2:
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Rob Pincus created quite a stir not too long ago regarding some his training techniques that are WAY out there...

Return to “National Rifle Association”