Mike Pence @ NRA Annual Meeting

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Mike Pence @ NRA Annual Meeting

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

http://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/ ... -545321088
Vice President Mike Pence will headline NRA convention in Dallas
Pence will be speaking at the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action forum on May 4, the NRA announced Tuesday.
I'm guessing open and concealed carry will be restricted at this particular event.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mike Pence @ NRA Annual Meeting

Post by TreyHouston »

That's very interesting from a security aspect!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

So... I have a ticket to this event...
Will I have a problem carrying?
What's the chance that when I ask the SS for a place to check my gun, they don't laugh at me? :lol:

So now I have to choose between throwing out my ticket or going to Dallas unarmed?

:grumble

ETA: https://www.nraam.org/attend/firearms-policy/
During the 2018 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and the Omni Dallas Hotel in accordance with Texas law. When carrying your firearm remember to follow all federal, state, and local laws.
Time to email ILA..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Perhaps if anyone attended last year when Trump spoke they could tell us if the entire show was no carry all day or just in the venue where/when the President spoke.

It would be disappointing to not be able to carry all day Friday.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

bblhd672 wrote:Perhaps if anyone attended last year when Trump spoke they could tell us if the entire show was no carry all day or just in the venue where/when the President spoke.

It would be disappointing to not be able to carry all day Friday.
Release you would protected by SS.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I'm pretty sure the only area that will be off-limits will be where @VP is speaking. The rest of the venue will be business as usual.
NRA lifetime member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

KC5AV wrote:I'm pretty sure the only area that will be off-limits will be where @VP is speaking. The rest of the venue will be business as usual.
The VP will be speaking in an arena that requires tickets for entry.
Will the entire arena be off limits? And if yes, is there a place to check my gun or do I need to choose between carrying that day or attending the forum?

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

RoyGBiv wrote:
KC5AV wrote:I'm pretty sure the only area that will be off-limits will be where @VP is speaking. The rest of the venue will be business as usual.
Will the entire arena be off limits? And if yes, is there a place to check my gun or do I need to choose between carrying that day or attending the forum?
If I read the events schedule correctly, he is speaking in the early afternoon on Friday, while exhibit hall is still open? I am sure that one of us TXCHLForum members who are not attending the speech could hold your firearm for you if you need to disarm.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
If I read the events schedule correctly, he is speaking in the early afternoon on Friday, while exhibit hall is still open? I am sure that one of us TXCHLForum members who are not attending the speech could hold your firearm for you if you need to disarm.
Interesting idea. In a choice between locking my gun in the car or handing it to someone I've only ever met on the internet, I'm surprisingly more comfortable with choosing the latter. I'll make a few calls to see if I can entice a friend or 2 to come with me on Friday. Thanks :thumbs2:

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

I'll just leave this link here...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... hypocrisy/
Some gun enthusiasts and apparent NRA members are displeased at the prohibition. At Texas CHL Forum, a message board for gun owners, commenters aired their frustrations.

“Obviously even republicans and so called leaders don’t trust the ‘good guys.’ I realize it’s the VP, but still makes our whole argument look foolish,” a commenter who self-identified as an NRA member said Thursday.

[A fake photo of Emma González went viral on the far right, where Parkland teens are villains]

“You may disagree … but in my opinion the very people that claim to protect the 2A should never host an event that requires disarming the good guys. Sad. No excuses for this … it makes us look stupid,” the commenter said.

Another self-identified NRA member agreed, saying Friday: “Me personally, I won’t be listening to him speak. I won’t be going anywhere that I cant carry my firearm. It’s essentially the nations largest get together for gun owners and they won’t let law abiding legal gun owners carry guns because someone who’s supposedly pro 2A thinks its too ‘dangerous’? thats liberal logic right there.”

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

This is correct. I have worked on presidential protection arrangements, and this is standard procedure. I confirmed this is the case for the Dallas convention with a call to the NRA.

The local and national media reports to the contrary (like this one in the Huffington Post and this one on the WFAA web site) are false.

I have already contacted the local Dallas news station (WFAA) to request a correction. I suggest that other members contact other news organizations and request the same whenever they come across this false information.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Reports are now saying Trump will be speaking also but did not give a time or day. Will he be at the general convention or at the same venue at Pence?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

If the arena is part of the convention center, which is owned by the city of Dallas, state law indicates that lawful, licensed carry cannot be prohibited by posting 30.06 or 30.07 signs. Under what law do they decide to ignore that? I'm pretty sure state law doesn't add "unless the VP or Pres is there."

Is there a federal law that addresses this, or is it just a matter of "if you want Pence/Trump there, this is what you'll do, to heck with state law."?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

mloamiller wrote:If the arena is part of the convention center, which is owned by the city of Dallas, state law indicates that lawful, licensed carry cannot be prohibited by posting 30.06 or 30.07 signs. Under what law do they decide to ignore that? I'm pretty sure state law doesn't add "unless the VP or Pres is there."

Is there a federal law that addresses this, or is it just a matter of "if you want Pence/Trump there, this is what you'll do, to heck with state law."?
I should have read the article first - apparently there are just such laws:
The NRA is complying with laws that prohibit firearms from being brought into areas where Secret Service protectees visit...
Just add it to the list of laws that need to be changed, since it very clearly sends a double-message.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I've decided to not attend. period.
NRA Member

Return to “National Rifle Association”