NY attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

von Clausewitz
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NY attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA

Post by von Clausewitz »

I will stand corrected if somebody has better info...

But, I understand that the NRA is chartered as a non-profit in New York State...thus, the AG of NY can go after the non-profit charter.

Standing by for better information...

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

G.A. Heath wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:30 pm
E10 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:17 pm WARNING: Trigger Alert for some of you...

I'm a new Lifetime Member, and fully believe in the NRA's mission, but I gotta say that there have been a lot of strange stuff going on with the finances and Wayne LaPierre has been in charge a looonnnngggg time. I'd like there to be more transparency and disclosure of how and where our money's being spent, and maybe a little more checks and balances. Sometimes it seems all I get from the leadership are requests for more money. WE are the NRA and the leadership needs to understand that.
Due to the lawsuits the NRA has been unable to defend itself in the public arena for fear that they might telegraph a legal strategy or defense that the opposition could develop a counter too. The NRA does have an outside auditor go over their books, it's actually required by law. As for going public with their expenditures, that could cause a lot more trouble than it solves, no matter how legitimate their spending is. Compare what is known about the NRA's spending to other entities like Planned Parenthood, Clinton Foundation, ect. and you will be amazed that we know as much as we do.

What if one candidate gets upset because the NRA spends a lot more money in someone else's district instead of theirs? It could be a case where they NRA knows that money will bleed over to other candidates they need to win as well, or it could be because that candidate has done a better job of towing the NRA's legislation even though both are rated A+.
That said and agreed with (and I probably shouldn't go here because it's topic drift), but hasn't the NRA been uncharacteristically quiet this election year? I wasn't a life member for the 2006 or 2010 elections, but I was for 2016. It may simply be me misremembering, but it seemed the NRA was far more active, at least visibly so, in previous elections. I'm kinda with E10 here: I'm getting phone calls asking for new contributions, but I'm seeing virtually nothing in the news media or in newsletters from the NRA. The NRA-ILA website frequently posts new items/articles...but honestly the only voters likely to ever see them are already NRA members.

There just seems to be no large-scale publicity or communications push this year. And I rate this right near the very top of the critical-to-2A elections. I watch Fox News (admittedly in the background) about 3 hours a day, and local news about an hour, give all but MSNBC a look as counterpoint at least every couple of days. Remember all the marvelous "I am the NRA" ads? The NRA Channel got closed down; we used to see folks like Colion Noir interviewed at least once in a while, but as of July 2019 he's no longer associated with the NRA; we used to see Dana Loesch talking about the NRA, but she's no longer a spokesperson. I'm a lifer gun owner, and right now, three months out from a hugely important general election, I can't even tell you who are the spokespeople for the NRA. Heck, even on the gun-focused TV shows on the Outdoor Channel I'm not seeing NRA ads or messages like I used to.

Not bashing them in any way, shape, or form. I am the NRA, and proudly. It's just that for this particular election they seem to be conspicuously absent...and I think we need their strong voice to help educate all those new gun owners about their rights and how those rights are being challenged. I mean, NICS check numbers have been astronomical this year, even breaking an Obama election year all-time monthly record. But while guns sales seem to be skyrocketing, we seem to be hearing less publicly from the NRA. And I have no way of knowing, but I'd also bet a 5-spot that new annual memberships are way down from 2016, 2010, and 2006.

I am very worried about this election, and this is one of my worry points.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Grayling813 wrote
The NRA rejected the idea of moving to Texas a year ago.
Might be time to revisit that decision.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I saw on Fox that NY has had similar incidents with Planned Parenthood and United Way, but the organization wasn't attacked only the fraudsters, which is the way it should be. You don't dissolve an organization/compamy and confiscate assets when an executive embezzles from it. This is really about paralyzing the NRA's ability to get out the vote, which they have always had great success in doing. Using taxpayers money to attack a political opponent. The Democrats have turned lawsuits and investigations into an art form for crippling individuals and organizations they oppose. She campaigned on getting rid of President Trump. Doesn't take a genius to figure out her motives.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

This appeared below her announcement of suing the NRA.

Don’t mean to change the thread but geez this is strange.
Attachments
D73FB158-3C4F-4F19-A10C-653116349BD6.jpeg

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:35 pm This appeared below her announcement of suing the NRA.

Don’t mean to change the thread but geez this is strange.
"Thank you for calling TMAS. Here at Telemedicine Abortion Services our only priority is you. Now, just relax. We'll talk you through every step of the procedure. First, you'll need to set a pan of water on to boil and get a hanger from your closet..."
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

philip964

Post by philip964 »

This was a post on Facebook from: Jews Can Shoot

“FTA: Many organizations have suffered dubious spending by officers, ranging from political parties to nonprofits to universities. None were disbanded. Union and religious leaders are often accused of lavish spending on their travel or other job perks. Few have been prosecuted. The National Action Network of Al Sharpton paid him more than $1 million in compensation in 2018 and another $500,000 for rights to his life story. While it is based in New York, James has not tried to dissolve it or other organizations.

Other cases seeking dissolution undermine the case against the NRA. Five years ago, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman tried to dissolve the National Children Leukemia Foundation after finding that 1 percent of around $10 million in donations went to cancer victims, including almost no money spent on its “Make a Dream Come True” program. Its president turned out to be a felon who ran the organization out of his basement. A settlement was reached and the charity was voluntarily shut down.

The NRA is not run out of a basement, and it spends sums of money on its firearms lobbying and training programs. It is, by any measure, one of the most successful advocacy groups in our history. It has more than 5 million members and is the largest and most influential gun rights organization in the world. Whatever complaints can be raised over the spending habits of its officers, the NRA is undoubtedly a successful enterprise. Indeed, many lawmakers have denounced its influence in Washington, since low scores from the NRA can mean defeat for politicians who face close races.

James is not disregarding the implications of a Democratic official seeking to destroy one of the most powerful conservative groups in the country in an election year. By contrast, she seems to revel in that image. She knows liberals are thrilled by the idea of disbanding the NRA. She is now revered as a hero by those who view no problem in her past declaring the group a terrorist organization and now trying to dissolve the group as a fraudulent organization. It has been a political campaign in search of lawful rationale for years, however, the allegation is not as important as the target.

Those same political supporters, of course, would be justifiably outraged by any clear action of the administration to dissolve liberal organizations such as Planned Parenthood. Misconduct or crimes by its officers would not leave it as a criminal enterprise. Like the NRA, Planned Parenthood is one of the most effective groups defending a constitutional right.

Trying to dissolve an organization engaged in political speech should not occur absent overwhelming proof that it is a criminal enterprise…“

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I can see the point about the NRA being "unusually quiet" this year. So where are they? What are they doing? With all the millions of brand new gun owners, this could be a real golden moment for the NRA to bring in a bunch of new members. Instead, they've vanished.
-Ruark

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Ruark wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:21 am I can see the point about the NRA being "unusually quiet" this year. So where are they? What are they doing? With all the millions of brand new gun owners, this could be a real golden moment for the NRA to bring in a bunch of new members. Instead, they've vanished.
I’m not so sure that all the millions of new gun owners are necessarily in our camp...

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Judge says "No".
https://newsthud.com/breaking-judge-blo ... 2031250000

She can sue Wayne LaPierre but she CANNOT shot down the NRA.
Put a fork in her. She's done.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Finally - great news :cheers2:

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

Judge’s decision, much better read than any of the news articles I’ve seen

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... 8b47530e60

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Chemist45 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:14 pm Judge says "No".

:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Chemist45 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:14 pm Judge says "No".

Best news for the NRA since Charles got promoted. :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “National Rifle Association”