Informal Tests: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Informal Tests: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Post by NcongruNt »

Excaliber wrote:
TexasVet wrote:The polymer filling looks very similar to Cor-bons Pow'R Ball, except the ball in the Cor-bon load makes the round feed like ball ammo. And you can get it in 9mm Mak and many others. According to the websites Hornady critical defense numbers 9mm 115gr. 1140/332 (vel/energy at muzzle) vs. the Pow'R ball 9mm (p+) 100gr. 1450/467 (vel/energy at muzzle).
Any thoughts ?
From the very limited and generally informal test results I've seen, the soft hollowpoint filler in the Critical Defense ammo and in Federal's Expanding Full Metal Jacket offering seems to offer an increase in expansion reliability over many other rounds.

My understanding of the purpose of the Pow'r Ball's plastic tip is feeding reliability, not prevention of plugging by barrier material. Also, in the Pow'r Ball tests I've seen, the bullet and jacket often come out in pieces, where the Critical Defense rounds appear to retain virtually all of their weight .

I haven't seen a head to head test of the new Hornady and Federal rounds against the CorBon Pow'r Ball, but it sure would make an interesting comparison.

Anybody know a gun writer with access to lots of free ammo from all 3 companies?
They actually do promote it as a solution to plugging. From the website:
Pow'RBall will not get plugged by heavy clothing. This ammunition will give you confidence and peace of mind knowing you can count on it in a critical situation.
As far as performance is concerned, I've seen the same kind of results from tests I've read - jacket separates a lot. IMO, Cor-bon is a little too proud of that round. This niche bullet is simply a HP plugged with a little piece of plastic. It doesn't appear that they're even bonded bullets. So they've got a low-quality, low mass (only 70grn in .380, 100grn in 9mm), high-velocity JHP with a bit of plastic in the end of it.

Considering that the Hornady ammo is of better quality manufacture, a more effective bullet mass(90grn in .380, 115/124/147grn in 9mm), and 40 cents/round cheaper than the Pow'rball, I'll stick with the Hornady.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Mcoupe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mcoupe »

Nice report. Thanks a bunch. I am going to buy some.

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

Yes kudos are in order as I think this has replaced my desire for finding the expensive Corbon DPX. While the DPX is still an outstanding load, this seems to be just as effective if not more for a much more reasonable price. I would also like to see how this does out of a "pocket gun" barrel.

blacktop

Post by blacktop »

I shot a full box of the .380 in my brand new Ruger LCP after warming up with 100 rounds of the cheap Winchester and Remington from Wallyworld. It fed fine with no problems and was extremely accurate and consistent. Recoil was similar to the other rounds I fired. It'll definitely be my carry ammo for the LCP.
AJ
Cypress, TX

Mailed packet - Aug. 11
Check cashed- Aug. 21st
E-mailed Rep. Callegari, Sen. Dan Patrick, & Gov. Perry - Dec 30
Rec'd canned e-mail letter from Gov. Perry - Dec 31
DPS Website: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - Jan. 7, 2009
Mailman delivered Jan. 10.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A guy at our range last night said he'd just got a box of the stuff in 380 while passing through Amarillo - at Gander Mountain. Disappointing that it's available in Amarillo, but not yet at Academy in Lewsiville ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NcongruNt »

Greybeard wrote:A guy at our range last night said he'd just got a box of the stuff in 380 while passing through Amarillo - at Gander Mountain. Disappointing that it's available in Amarillo, but not yet at Academy in Lewsiville ...
I've never known Academy to carry a good selection of SD ammo in general. At the ones around here, I've NEVER seen Speer or Hornady ammo. Generally, it's only Federal, and even then, it's only the "personal protection" stuff.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Greybeard wrote:A guy at our range last night said he'd just got a box of the stuff in 380 while passing through Amarillo - at Gander Mountain. Disappointing that it's available in Amarillo, but not yet at Academy in Lewsiville ...
He must have picked it up as soon as they set it out because there was absolutely no .380 ammo to found at all. Nothing, zip, nada!!!

I was going to pick up some of this... :grumble
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

>I've never known Academy to carry a good selection of SD ammo in general.

Agreed. Though the one in Sunset Valley does carry Hornady TAP.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

saltydog

Post by saltydog »

Thank you Mr. Camp.

Your obversations are appreciated.

salty

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

I just picked up 3 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense in .380 at my local Academy (Lake Jackson) just this past weekend.

Of course the shelves are bare again as of last night...on everything but 9mm.
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

A friend of mine shot a 9mm round of this into a 20 oz. soda bottle the other day. He said it was from about 50 feet away. It entered the bottle, and fully expanded, but did not exit the bottle. The bottle was left fully intact, other than the entry hole. Would this be considered normal? I'd have expected it to do more damage to the bottle, even at that range.
NRA lifetime member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

KC5AV wrote:A friend of mine shot a 9mm round of this into a 20 oz. soda bottle the other day. He said it was from about 50 feet away. It entered the bottle, and fully expanded, but did not exit the bottle. The bottle was left fully intact, other than the entry hole. Would this be considered normal? I'd have expected it to do more damage to the bottle, even at that range.
Soda bottles are pretty thick glass. Add the density of the liquid and you have some pretty big resistance against a bullet. Take a look at the Box O' Truth or Mythbusters Episode 34 tests when they shoot into water and see how much stopping power it has against a projectile and the outcome of your friends shot makes a lot of sense.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Keith B wrote:
KC5AV wrote:A friend of mine shot a 9mm round of this into a 20 oz. soda bottle the other day. He said it was from about 50 feet away. It entered the bottle, and fully expanded, but did not exit the bottle. The bottle was left fully intact, other than the entry hole. Would this be considered normal? I'd have expected it to do more damage to the bottle, even at that range.
Soda bottles are pretty thick glass. Add the density of the liquid and you have some pretty big resistance against a bullet. Take a look at the Box O' Truth or Mythbusters Episode 34 tests when they shoot into water and see how much stopping power it has against a projectile and the outcome of your friends shot makes a lot of sense.
This was a plastic bottle.
NRA lifetime member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

KC5AV wrote:This was a plastic bottle.
Even at that, I could see the plastic clogging the hollow-point and substantially slowing down the bullet when combined with the pressure exerted from the liquid inside the bottle. Then, there is the liquid to try and penetrate too. Was it a 1-liter bottle or the small 16oz size?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

It was either a 16oz. or 20oz.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “Camp's Corner”