Corbon .38 Super Informal Test Results...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Corbon .38 Super Informal Test Results...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I thought it might be interesting to see how Corbon's various types of .38 Super ammunition might perform in some informal, non-scientific tests that could be done by the average shooter if desired.

I only have one .38 Super and obviously, it would be the test gun.
In this case, it is an STI Trojan 5" .38 Super.

These included checking velocities, how well the load grouped and penetration/expansion characteristics in super-saturated newsprint.

Corbon offers ammunition in the caliber in several forms: traditional, high-velocity JHP, Glaser Safety Slugs (blue & silver), Pow'RBall, and their new DPX line.

Ammunition from each of these lines was checked. The specific loads were:

80-gr. Glaser Blue +P
80-gr. Glaser Silver +P
100-gr. Pow'RBall +P
125-gr. JHP +P
125-gr. DPX +P

Average Velocities were based on 10 shots fired 10' from the chronograph screens. Here are the results:

80-gr. Glaser Blue +P: 1682 ft/sec
80-gr. Glaser Silver +P: 1729
100-gr. Pow'RBall +P: 1529
125-gr. JHP +P: 1372
125-gr. DPX +P: 1313

Accuracy was very good with any of these loads.

Accuracy shooting was done at 15 and 25 yards from a seated position and using a two-hand hold with my wrists on sandbags. All of the loads grouped very well (at least for me) at these distances.

For folks interested in a more detailed report on this ammunition, the link below should provide it:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corb ... 0Tests.htm

The expansion test medium was super-saturated newsprint that had been soaked 24 hours and drained 30 minutes before shooting.

Here are the average penetration depths for five rounds of each load:

80-gr. Glaser Blue +P: 4"
80-gr. Glaser Silver +P: 4.50"
100-gr. Pow'RBall +P: 8.50"
125-gr. JHP +P: 7"
125-gr. DPX +P: 9.75"

Here are some expanded bullets recovered from the soaked newsprint. From left to right: DPX, Pow'RBall, two 125-gr. JHP's, and a Glaser Blue.

There were no malfunctions, failures to feed/extract, or problems with any of the rounds fired. No bullet setback was noted.

For those having questions on any of this ammunition, contact information for Corbon can be found at http://www.corbon.com

Best.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Admit it: you were really posting this to show off that STI!

Gorgeous pistol. I've only handled one STI, a 9mm Ranger. Very thin, very concealable, very expensive!

I was impressed, though.

Kevin

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Thanks for the kind words on the STI. Actually, of my three ( a .45, a 9mm, and the .38 Super) the Super is my least favorite. It is very picky about cartridge LOA with handloads. The other two eat up about anything you feed them.

Best.

Return to “Camp's Corner”