Amount of Ammo?

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 3

Amount of Ammo?

Post by Divided Attention »

If this is in the wrong place, please remove. I tried to do my homework, but couldn't get a difinitive answer. How do you find out a good estimate (beyond a wheelbarrow full) of how much ammo you need for the mini clinics and seminars? I could only find one of the classes hubby and I signed up for that said how much to bring.

Also, if you have more than one carry option, should you bring both? Bring the one you are most comfortable with? OR Bring the one you want more practice with?

Thanks for dealing with my newbie self!

DA
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

sskimber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Amount of Ammo?

Post by sskimber »

First, I have no official work on the subject, but based on last year the few changes we are making this year.
This is what I would do;
100 round minimum per class, plus 100 rounds extra just in case. Then a minimum of 250 round for the Texas star(this is on the lite side, last year i think I shot 500 AT the star.)

I would bring a gun I am comfortable with. (you may do a lot of shooting).

When you get the range carry an open cold gun. it will make it easier on the instructors if they can see you have a cold gun when you walk up.

Just my opinion

Kevin

Topic author
Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Any rules on posting children for sale to afford the ammo for CHL Day? I would say they will work for food, but they whine and complain! :biggrinjester:

How 'bout an ornery donkey? Any takers, will trade for ammo :smilelol5:

DA
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Based on previous experience - bring as much ammo as you can carry, and then bring someone else to help you carry more.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by USA1 »

Divided Attention wrote:Any rules on posting children for sale to afford the ammo for CHL Day?
Do they do windows? :biggrinjester:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

I live only a few miles away, drive an Excursion and have a dual axle 16' foot trailer. Hoping it will hold enough ammo. But close enough for a second trip I guess. Actually I think the 100 per clinic and have a good stash in the truck should do it. As for the STAR, I did not do it last year but will this year, hence the trailer.....

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

USA1

Post by USA1 »

gwashorn wrote:I live only a few miles away, drive an Excursion and have a dual axle 16' foot trailer. Hoping it will hold enough ammo. But close enough for a second trip I guess. Actually I think the 100 per clinic and have a good stash in the truck should do it. As for the STAR, I did not do it last year but will this year, hence the trailer.....

Gary
Now we all know who to go to when we run out of ammo.
Be sure to bring plenty of .45 for me....Just in case. :mrgreen:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

bnc

Post by bnc »

I started stocking up on 9mm, but I'm honestly contemplating going ahead with the .22 lr conversion kit for my CZ. It was next on my wish list anyways.

Do you guys think there would be any problem shooting .22 for most of the clinics? I could see it not being enough for the TX star (not sure how the mechanism works), but other than that it looks like a good idea.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Definitely not .22 for the Star. It will just laugh at you.

Come to think of it, it pretty much laughs at you no matter what you shoot. So never mind. :???:

The individual clinics will vary significantly as to the amount of ammo you'll send downrange. As always, better safe than sorry. Ammo has a nice, long shelf life, and you can always use it later.

But I don't want anyone to be discouraged from attending by thinking they need a thousand rounds just to step onto the range.

Allowing 100 rounds per clinic should be on the conservative side. Some clinics, like mine, will need less than 40. The Texas Star and plates (not sure if the plate rack is open this year or not, so don't trust me on that) are optional...but tons of fun.

Bring it if you got it. But don't think you have to have a .50-cal ammo can full of loose 9mm to register.

One of the amazing things about Texas CHL Forum Day is that for very little money you get exposure to a lot of instruction, a lot of new ideas, a lot of new (and old) friends, a good lunch, and a heckuva lot of fun. Every single one of us who attends is better for it.

If you can make Charles's Friday evening seminar, by all means do so. He is uniquely qualified to teach this, and it's the in-depth look at the law and the ramifications of having to defend yourself under its statutes that every CHL holder should know. If I weren't getting back to town too late on Friday to make it, I'd attend for the fifth time. Laws change, lobbying for revision of the law is always in progress, and you can never know enough about the ramifications of self-defense. There is no one in Texas more qualified than Charles Cotton to present this.

I sound like a commercial.

If you've ever been to a Texas CHL Forum Day, though, you know I ain't lyin'.

Somehow, we need to package it and spread this wealth around the State of Texas.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

bnc

Post by bnc »

You have good reason to sound like a commercial, the 23rd can't get here fast enough! I might go ahead and stock up on 9mm and get the .22 kit, as you said neither one will go bad, and I might get more out of the instruction with the .22. (granted, the CZ in 9mm shoots pretty softly)

terryg

Post by terryg »

bnc wrote:I started stocking up on 9mm, but I'm honestly contemplating going ahead with the .22 lr conversion kit for my CZ. It was next on my wish list anyways.

Do you guys think there would be any problem shooting .22 for most of the clinics? I could see it not being enough for the TX star (not sure how the mechanism works), but other than that it looks like a good idea.
Hmm, I am having problems (i.e. $$$) getting enough 9mm ammo as well. I hadn't really considered .22. I have a Ruger Standard. Not really a combat pistol, but very cheap to shoot. Should I consider bringing it and going light for some of the clinics?
... this space intentionally left blank ...

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I keep a hundred rounds of handgun ammo in a bug out bag in my trunk....I went after it last year on the forum day and had to replace it :rolll Steel is my weakness.

I would bring 250-300 rounds and I bet you will have a couple of magazines full for the ride home.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

USA1 wrote:
Divided Attention wrote:Any rules on posting children for sale to afford the ammo for CHL Day?
Hmmm, MY children only do OS X :tiphat:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

sjfcontrol wrote:
USA1 wrote:
Hmmm, MY children only do OS X :tiphat:
OOOOWWWW!!! :banghead:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Skiprr wrote: I sound like a public service announcement.
There, fixed it for ya. :thumbs2:
Skiprr wrote: If you've ever been to a Texas CHL Forum Day, though, you know I ain't lyin'.

Somehow, we need to package it and spread this wealth around the State of Texas.
How big a box do we need? Gotta remember the breathing holes.... :biggrinjester:

Oh, shoot, I went off-topic again....
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Return to “2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC”