Weather

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Topic author
terryg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: Alvin, TX

Weather

#1

Post by terryg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:11 pm

9 Days out, weather predictions are showing 60% chance of rain. Let's pray it clears up.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

User avatar

Divided Attention
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Weather

#2

Post by Divided Attention » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 pm

For those of us new and driving a ways, what is the plan for inclimate weather?
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23663
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Weather

#3

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Divided Attention wrote:For those of us new and driving a ways, what is the plan for inclimate weather?
Get wet. Shoot lots of ammo. :smilelol5:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Divided Attention
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Weather

#4

Post by Divided Attention » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:11 pm

note to self - add rain gear to kit!

got it!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 16987
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Weather

#5

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:25 pm

We've been lucky with weather so far. One year we had off and on light showers in the afternoon, but they were short duration and the classes worked around it. A nine day forecast is virtually worthless, especially here on the Gulf Coast so don't get worried yet.

When I was a student pilot, my instructor said to check the winds aloft to see if they are as forecast (direction and velocity). If they aren't then the weather forecast is worthless.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

nitrogen
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2322
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Sachse, TX
Contact:

Re: Weather

#6

Post by nitrogen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:08 pm

If you really want a good idea about how good a forecast is, check out the scientific forecaster discussion for that forecast. Usually, whoever ran the models and wrote the forecast will explain their reasonings for what they predict, and what the weaknesses are in the forecast.

Most meteorologists know when their forecasts are going to be good, or not, and will admit so in the discussion.

If you use wunderground.com, they will even "translate" some of the weathergeek-eese into english for you.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Texas CHL forum day discussion.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous


RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8697
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Weather

#7

Post by RPB » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:14 pm

terryg wrote:9 Days out, weather predictions are showing 60% chance of rain. Let's pray it clears up.
40% chance it won't rain then? sounds good; much better chances than lottery tickets have.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

User avatar

gwashorn
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 689
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: Alvin, Tx

Re: Weather

#8

Post by gwashorn » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Divided Attention wrote:For those of us new and driving a ways, what is the plan for inclimate weather?
Get wet. Shoot lots of ammo. :smilelol5:
:iagree:
Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

User avatar

Commander Cody
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Texas City/Trinity

Re: Weather

#9

Post by Commander Cody » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:10 am

If you don't like the weather, listen to a different station.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

User avatar

OldSchool
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Brazoria County

Re: Weather

#10

Post by OldSchool » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:07 am

About four to five days out, I will be watching for fronts/cells out of the Gulf of Alaska, coming across Oregon. If they are tight, then weather *may* be on the way and will bear watching.

I also watch for low cells drifting around over the Gulf of Mexico; which will cause some scattered stuff.

So, give it a few days yet.
I always keep a jacket packed.... :coolgleamA:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

User avatar

USA1
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 7412
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Tomball ,Texas
Contact:

Re: Weather

#11

Post by USA1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 am

I'm ready for anything. :mrgreen:

Image
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Weather

#12

Post by G26ster » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:13 am

There is no such thing as an inaccurate weather forecast. Everything is in "% chance." An 80% chance of rain automatically means a 20% chance of no rain. So, in the end, the weather forecast can never be wrong.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23663
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Weather

#13

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:19 am

USA1 wrote:I'm ready for anything. :mrgreen:

Image
See my hat....

Image
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


JNMAR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 pm
Location: West of Fort Worth

Re: Weather

#14

Post by JNMAR » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:31 pm

terryg wrote:9 Days out, weather predictions are showing 60% chance of rain. Let's pray it clears up.
You gotta be kidding...not where I am, I've got wheat that needs water and cattle that needs winter feed...get you an umbrella.

User avatar

Topic author
terryg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: Alvin, TX

Re: Weather

#15

Post by terryg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Saturday now shows 20% ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Post Reply

Return to “2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC”