Mansion Rager

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Mansion Rager

Post by OneGun »

The news reported that in Austin, teenagers broke into a couple's home, held a "rager," and did immense property damage. If you arrived home and found this situation, what would you do besides call 911 (and wait 30 minutes for the 911 call to be answered. It is Austin)?

Would you shoot the people that broke into your home?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

eyedoc

Re: Mansion Rager

Post by eyedoc »

OneGun wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:15 pm The news reported that in Austin, teenagers broke into a couple's home, held a "rager," and did immense property damage. If you arrived home and found this situation, what would you do besides call 911 (and wait 30 minutes for the 911 call to be answered. It is Austin)?

Would a reasonable person be in fear for their life or of receiving grievous bodily harm?

Would you want to go before an Austin grand jury and jury after shooting someone?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

One of my neighbors indicated that the last time he called Dallas Police Department it was a 5 hour wait. Its difficult for me to imagine giving criminals that much time to access the firearms locked in my home, to harm my dog, or to compromise my work AND personal property.

That said, I would never again live in Austin... so perhaps this situation doesn't apply to me. ;-)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

eyedoc wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 pm
OneGun wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:15 pm The news reported that in Austin, teenagers broke into a couple's home, held a "rager," and did immense property damage. If you arrived home and found this situation, what would you do besides call 911 (and wait 30 minutes for the 911 call to be answered. It is Austin)?

Would a reasonable person be in fear for their life or of receiving grievous bodily harm?

Would you want to go before an Austin grand jury and jury after shooting someone?
No I wouldn't just walk in and start shooting people.

That said, you have every right to demand that these people leave your home immediately. That may then escalate to a situation where you are in fear for your life.

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

No way would I propose wading into a crowd of immature young people with chemically altered mental states. In the name of all that is holy, no, just NO. Herd mentality rules, plus at such gatherings there is always a Chad McFightyFight, in a large group rest assured there'll be more than one. You could walk in there with a lit stick of dynamite and it wouldn't matter. Anything you say or try to do would just be seen as a challenge to be accepted and contested.

I have firsthand experience with pretty well the exact same house party scenario, with a looong police response time and if someone were to show up, it was feeble. In this day and age scarcity of law enforcement is probably going to eventually slide into being the norm no matter the zip code. Let Bolton Strid be your guide.

I simply infiltrated the place and pulled the electric meter. No power, no party. If they're mostly inside and out in the back, it's a snap. If you have to go past or through some, simply look like you belong there, don't engage or make eye contact, you're just another attendee wandering through. Hopefully have something like a hoodie to throw on to obscure your age, but then they won't be inclined to give a crap anyway. They're partyers, not posted guards. Power being gone totally breaks the mood - nothing like darkness to kill the momentum. I know that in generations past parties would go down at abandoned homes lacking any utilities, but to these modern kids that's barbaric camping - the horror! After the blackout hits they should be more amenable to obeying authorities if, when they appear. Perhaps you too, if you do it right.

There were some other situations where CS/OC and smoke grenades were involved. But that's another story. Or two. Care has to be taken where and how those are deployed - decon work can be a pain. I can advise that once you get any girls in attendance to panicking and screaming the herd mentality then works in your favor, the stampede begins and they clear out pronto.

Pro Tip: copy down intel on parked vehicles before starting if you need or have to track down anyone later.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Cutting the power is a tactic I hadn't thought of for a home takeover party.

I'll keep that in my toolbox for use in the appropriate circumstance.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grayling813 »

If you can remotely turn off your WiFi, that will probably get rid of half of the intruders! :mrgreen:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

While I would not advise shooting (especially in Austin), it would be legal to do so. Legally, this is a burglary (entry without permission and felony criminal mischief is occurring) and PC 9.42 includes burglary as one of the justifiable offenses. And if you want to speed up police response, it is also legally riot. That requires only an assemblage of 7 people that creates an immediate danger of damage to property (PC 42.02).
Steve Rothstein

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:24 am If you can remotely turn off your WiFi, that will probably get rid of half of the intruders! :mrgreen:
I would hope you have your home internet/WiFi locked up so no one could use it regardless if they are intruders or not.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:37 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:24 am If you can remotely turn off your WiFi, that will probably get rid of half of the intruders! :mrgreen:
I would hope you have your home internet/WiFi locked up so no one could use it regardless if they are intruders or not.
I would, but then again I seem to do things differently than the masses.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:31 am
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:37 pm
I would, but then again I seem to do things differently than the masses.
I am no IT expert but have been told if my network is accessible by others, they could get into my private files and my computer with much less effort. It is pretty easy to set up a password on your network connection.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:14 am I am no IT expert but have been told if my network is accessible by others, they could get into my private files and my computer with much less effort. It is pretty easy to set up a password on your network connection.
And you want to use a complicated password (one with random characters) to make it more difficult to hack into. You could also go a step further and configure your router to only allow the specific MAC address of your devices i.e. your phone, laptop, smart TV all have a unique MAC address that you can configure into the router to only allow access to them regardless if they have your WiFi password. I also have a guest access configured on my router for family when they come over that I can easily turn off when they are not here. It's a PITA but once it's done, it's more secure. I'm also fortunate I live on a large enough property that it would be pretty hard to have access to the WiFi.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”