PA:Man indicted for threatening Facebook postings

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

PA:Man indicted for threatening Facebook postings

Post by seamusTX »

In the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, area today, a man was indicted in federal court for allegedly using a Facebook page to threaten the workplace he had recently been fired from, his estranged wife, police, and schools.

Among his literary efforts was
"That's it, I've had about enough / I'm checking out and making a name for myself / Enough elementary schools in a ten mile radius / To initiate the most heinous school shooting ever imagined / And hell hath no fury like a crazy man in a Kindergarten class
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethleh ... y_thr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Genius.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PA:Man indicted for threatening Facebook postings

Post by Keith B »

His threats can be considered cyber harassment, but more likely will fall under terroristic threats, which carries a much more harsh penalty and will more than likely end up causing this bozo to have time to think about it in prison vs. a chance for probation.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The guy was indicted on a federal charge. That means he was charged with a felony and the grand jury found probable cause.

None of the news stories that I could find says exactly what statute he was charged under. Probably it is something related to terrorism.

Federal prosecutors don't go for an indictment until they are very confident of getting a conviction or plea bargain. They have a conviction rate over 90%.

You won't find a more enthusiastic proponent of free speech than me, but threatening to commit the most heinous school massacre in history is not legitimate free speech.

He does, however, get an A for spelling heinous correctly. ;-) Maybe half of people who try to write or say this word think it's "heenious."

- Jim

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

seamusTX wrote:The guy was indicted on a federal charge. That means he was charged with a felony and the grand jury found probable cause.

None of the news stories that I could find says exactly what statute he was charged under. Probably it is something related to terrorism.

Federal prosecutors don't go for an indictment until they are very confident of getting a conviction or plea bargain. They have a conviction rate over 90%.

You won't find a more enthusiastic proponent of free speech than me, but threatening to commit the most heinous school massacre in history is not legitimate free speech.

He does, however, get an A for spelling heinous correctly. ;-) Maybe half of people who try to write or say this word think it's "heenious."

- Jim
That is truly highness of them to do.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Purplehood wrote:
seamusTX wrote:The guy was indicted on a federal charge. That means he was charged with a felony and the grand jury found probable cause.

- Jim
That is truly highness of them to do.
Heinous hyenas would heckle this.
NRA Endowment Member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

None of the news stories that I could find says exactly what statute he was charged under.
- Jim
Elonis was charged with violating interstate communication laws.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethleh ... y_thr.html
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I want to know the citation of the U.S. Code.

Most U.S. penal laws begin, "It shall be unlawful for any person to" [do something].

When the offense that is being prosecuted is pure speech or writing, I would like to know exactly what statute allegedly is being violated.

- Jim

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:I want to know the citation of the U.S. Code.

Most U.S. penal laws begin, "It shall be unlawful for any person to" [do something].

When the offense that is being prosecuted is pure speech or writing, I would like to know exactly what statute allegedly is being violated. - Jim
United State Code: Title 18, Part I, Chapter 41, Section 875
(c) Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/875.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”