Anti-gun Senator shoots intruder in his home

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
baraco01
Posts in topic: 1

Anti-gun Senator shoots intruder in his home

Post by baraco01 »

I don't know if this has been posted already. Just can't hold myself from sharing this:

http://smartgirlpolitics.ning.com/group ... pic:590826

and another article on this:
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2 ... /100109828

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anti-gun Senator shoots intruder in his home

Post by seamusTX »

The state senator was not "anti-gun." He had an A rating from the NRA. Someone just invented that part of the story, and it has been circulating around the internets for a over year.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The story is strange enough otherwise.

The senator was indicted on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon earlier this year and pled to a misdemeanor:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2 ... /100229802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the "yutes" that he was mentoring also got into legal trouble.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=29028&p=335176&hil ... es#p335176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must be missing something. Basically, this senator was indicted because he didn't call the police first? If they had just come onto his property and tried to kick his door open when he shot him he would have been okay? How did the length of time on the property change things? He still felt in danger. Despite all the other garbage I still don't understand why this man was charged. Are these laws that ridiculous in NC?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

Based on the details, does it count as domestic violence?
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

I don't know.

I think most of us would have called the cops after someone forced his way onto our property, started to damage things, and threatened violence.

You would have to look at the facts of the case in light of state law on the use of deadly force. Also, local political issues may have been involved.

I think there are three take-aways from this incident:
  • Defenses to prosecution always mean that you can be prosecuted and forced to defend yourself in court.
  • Using deadly force against people with whom you have an ongoing dispute (as opposed to a stranger) is dicey.
  • Not calling 911 after actually shooting someone and getting a report on record is probably not a good idea. The injured party gets an opportunity to make up his facts.
- Jim

Return to “The Crime Blotter”