Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Post by Tireshred »

My wife and I shop there every week, we both attended Charles Cotton's CHL class and Deadly Force Seminar and got our CHL's thru him. She carries a 9mm in her purse and I carry a 45 on my right hip. I sent her this link when it happened and we discussed it. As we were getting in the truck after loading the bags of groceries this week I asked if she was "situation aware". She wasn't, said she feels safe when I'm there. We still have work to do. Thanks to mrvmax for posting and I'm glad no one was hurt.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Here's an editorial from the Galeveston Daily News "Right to Shoot and Right to Avoid Getting Shot" concerning the shooting at the La Marque Walmart.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/175146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 18

Post by seamusTX »

They are somewhere between suspicious and hostile on RKBA issues.

It's odd because the publisher is quite conservative, and the editorial board on the whole is fairly conservative.

- Jim

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Oldgringo »

Thanks WildBill,

It seems like an intelligent and timely article to me. Am I missing something?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Oldgringo wrote:It seems like an intelligent and timely article to me. Am I missing something?
Anyone who is legally armed and screws up is looking at criminal charges and civil suits. That ought to be enough to make people behave judiciously and get trained.

What the newspaper seems to be asking for is CHL holders to go on probation and get mandatory additional training. Probably they don't understand that that would require a change of statutes.

Also, with regard to the situation at the La Marque Walmart, they weren't there, they don't know what was required and prudent. No one got hurt. The "alleged" bad guys are in custody.

- Jim

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:It seems like an intelligent and timely article to me. Am I missing something?
Anyone who is legally armed and screws up is looking at criminal charges and civil suits. That ought to be enough to make people behave judiciously and get trained.

What the newspaper seems to be asking for is CHL holders to go on probation and get mandatory additional training. Probably they don't understand that that would require a change of statutes.

Also, with regard to the situation at the La Marque Walmart, they weren't there, they don't know what was required and prudent. No one got hurt. The "alleged" bad guys are in custody.

- Jim
Right you are. She, the shooter, is extremely fortunate that no onlooker got hurt and that she hasn't been charged with reckless endangerment or something...yet.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Oldgringo wrote:She, the shooter, is extremely fortunate that no onlooker got hurt and that she hasn't been charged with reckless endangerment or something...yet.
This is small change for La Marque, and it surprises me sometimes what people get away with in this county. It's a pretty liberal place, but there is still a degree of frontier justice attitude.

Anyone who commits a violent crime here and survives to make it to trial is looking at hard time. Yesterday a jury sentenced a 39-year-old man to 50 years in prison with aggravating factors that mean he cannot serve less than 25.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/175034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

gabe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gabe »

Oldgringo wrote:Right you are. She, the shooter, is extremely fortunate that no onlooker got hurt and that she hasn't been charged with reckless endangerment or something...yet.
What facts caused you to reach that conclusion?
"it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government" - John Hancock et alii

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

gabe wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Right you are. She, the shooter, is extremely fortunate that no onlooker got hurt and that she hasn't been charged with reckless endangerment or something...yet.
What facts caused you to reach that conclusion?
Shooting across parking lots and at fleeing vehicles is not something trained professionals do - as a rule. I probably wouldn't do it either.

OTOH, if you feel accosted or otherwise insulted at some point in a parking lot - open fire. Tell the soon to be arriving LEO's that you were exercising your 2A right to defend yourself under the authority of your CHL. It's a free country.

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

seamusTX wrote:They are somewhere between suspicious and hostile on RKBA issues.

It's odd because the publisher is quite conservative, and the editorial board on the whole is fairly conservative.

- Jim
The column has a byline, so not sure it necessarily represents the views of the publisher, editorial board, or paper generally. Likely just reflects the views of the writer.

I don't necessarily disagree with her views either. If you shoot wildly inaccurately in public - even if justified in shooting and no one gets hurt - perhaps you need a bit of remedial training. Better than the alternative - criminal charges that OldGringo alluded to.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

austinrealtor wrote:The column has a byline, so not sure it necessarily represents the views of the publisher, editorial board, or paper generally.
They put some markers in the printed paper that you can't see online. This is the front-and-center column on the editorial page and labeled "Our View." I am pretty sure it is the consensus of the editorial board.

It is not the first point-of-view of this sort that they have expressed. They were opposed to the CHL confidentiality law.

- Jim

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mrvmax »

As I suspected, I was told that all three are here illegally in our country. Now,my great great grandparents came from Mexico to Texas and settled here so do not try and tell me that I am prejudiced. Heck, even my grandmother spoke very little English - but she lived and honest life here - legally. But, this is another reason why we need to stop letting these people cross our borders illegally. Anyway, at least they are in jail. BTW, I also heard that the lady in LaMarque hit their SUV 3 times, I wonder what the other two rounds hit?
Once again - be careful and be aware at all times. I am grateful every time I read that someone else is being more vigilant after reading this.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:The column has a byline, so not sure it necessarily represents the views of the publisher, editorial board, or paper generally.
They put some markers in the printed paper that you can't see online. This is the front-and-center column on the editorial page and labeled "Our View." I am pretty sure it is the consensus of the editorial board.

It is not the first point-of-view of this sort that they have expressed. They were opposed to the CHL confidentiality law. - Jim
I like it when the author has the guts to put their name on an editorial rather than hide behind the title of "Editorial Staff". Newspapers don't have opinions, people do.
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:I like it when the author has the guts to put their name on an editorial rather than hide behind the title of "Editorial Staff". Newspapers don't have opinions, people do.
The Daily News always has bylined editorials. (The New York Times does not.)

Most newspapers have an editorial board that comprises the publisher, editors, senior reporters, community representatives, an albino, a dwarf, a poodle, a collie, and Kukla Fran and Ollie. The main editorial represents the consensus of that board. They obviously are not going to agree on everything, and I suspect the publisher has a veto.

- Jim

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

seamusTX wrote:

It is not the first point-of-view of this sort that they have expressed. They were opposed to the CHL confidentiality law.

- Jim
Ah OK, then I take back what I wrote and agree with your original assessment. Surprising they don't make it clearer on the web site that this is the "official opinion". And not many papers put a byline on an institutional opinion - at least they didn't do so when I was in the newspaper biz.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”