Woman shot by off-duty officer

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 3

Woman shot by off-duty officer

Post by baseballguy2001 »

COPPERAS COVE, Texas - Two cars racing, passing each other, the woman driving a truck, stops, gets out to "confront" a tailgater. She reports she was feeling ill and holding her side. The other driver gets out, and started shooting - the woman runs back to her vehicle and dives for cover, but is hit six times.

Neighbors living on that street hear the shots and many come outside, that's when the shooter identified himself as an off-duty police officer.

Texas Rangers doing the investigation.

https://www.kwtx.com/2021/05/25/woman-s ... -hospital/
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Woman shot by off-duty officer

Post by bbhack »

I hope this story makes sense eventually.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The facts per the story do not look good for the shooter, who happens to be employed as an LEO. Absent other facts, it looks like he may well be going away for a while.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Color me skeptical. coughcoughTrayvon Martincough...
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jim Beaux wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:39 pm Color me skeptical. coughcoughTrayvon Martincough...
The immediate difference here is that it does not appear there was a possible disparity of force. Then again I have not seen a picture of the woman who was shot. Maybe she is a female power lifter? Who knows?

We definitely need some more facts here to make anything other than a complete guess as to what happened.

Topic author
baseballguy2001

A 17-year law enforcement veteran turned Texas A&M Central Texas professor, Dr. Tammy Bracewell explained that there are numerous circumstances when off-duty officers are safer just to call someone that’s on the clock.

”In most cases, it really is those times when a life is in danger when you see off-duty officers acting in the capacity of a police officer,” Bracewell explained.

I think what we will find out is, the off-duty LEO observed a traffic violation. After driving for a few blocks, the other driver got out of her vehicle, she said she was in pain and "holding her side: or hip area". After firing several rounds, a witness heard the shooter yell "Stop Reaching! Stop Reaching!!" The Off-Duty LEO probably perceived the other driver holding her side as 'reaching' for a weapon and acted instead of reacting.

If you or I had acted like this, we probably would have been arrested on the spot and charged. There's no word if the off-duty LEO is cooperating with the investigation, only that there is no other information available.

https://www.kxxv.com/news/local-news/co ... d-shooting
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:34 am A 17-year law enforcement veteran turned Texas A&M Central Texas professor, Dr. Tammy Bracewell explained that there are numerous circumstances when off-duty officers are safer just to call someone that’s on the clock.

”In most cases, it really is those times when a life is in danger when you see off-duty officers acting in the capacity of a police officer,” Bracewell explained.

I think what we will find out is, the off-duty LEO observed a traffic violation. After driving for a few blocks, the other driver got out of her vehicle, she said she was in pain and "holding her side: or hip area". After firing several rounds, a witness heard the shooter yell "Stop Reaching! Stop Reaching!!" The Off-Duty LEO probably perceived the other driver holding her side as 'reaching' for a weapon and acted instead of reacting.

If you or I had acted like this, we probably would have been arrested on the spot and charged. There's no word if the off-duty LEO is cooperating with the investigation, only that there is no other information available.

https://www.kxxv.com/news/local-news/co ... d-shooting
The person shot 6 times is lucky the officer isn't a better shot.

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Off-duty Central Texas cop who shot woman in road rage incident resigns, surrenders -
(Former) Officer Eric Anthony Stoneburner, 45, is charged with aggravated assault/serious bodily injury/use of deadly weapon in the shooting that sent Lacresha Murray to Scott & White Medical Center in Temple with non-life-threatening injuries.

“As a department, we cannot support Mr. Stoneburner’s decision to use deadly force in the moment and manner he did,” Chief Wilson said.

Guess who is about to have a felony record and lose his gun rights?
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Interesting, but useless factoid. By federal law a convicted felon who is a police officer may possess firearms for use in his job.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:35 pm
Interesting, but useless factoid. By federal law a convicted felon who is a police officer may possess firearms for use in his job.
……assuming the dept doesn’t fire him……for having a felony record……
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:38 am
The above post says that he resigned, so I'm thinking this is a moot point. His bigger concern should be minimizing jail time at this point.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:55 am
The above post says that he resigned, so I'm thinking this is a moot point. His bigger concern should be minimizing jail time at this point.
Yeah I just wanted to point it out. Another useless fact...a police officer convicted of MISDEMEANOR domestic violence does not have the same exemption.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:55 am
Of course, you’re right. I was merely pointing out that the hypothetical "felon who is a police officer" didn’t seem like a plausible option, whatever the letter of the law might actually say.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”