I retract anything bad I’ve said about French bravery

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

I retract anything bad I’ve said about French bravery

Post by philip964 »

Rafe

Re: I retract anything bad I’ve said about French bravery

Post by Rafe »

And the benefit of well-oiled gate hinges.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Nice! :cheers2:

The French get too much of a bad rap. They did a lot for us in the American Revolution and it was the Brits fault that the treaty of Versailles allowed the Germans to have a sizable cadre of professional soldiers. The French wanted the Germans to only have draftees...because they knew better than to allow guys like Heinz Guderian, Erwin Rommel, and Walter Model to have long military careers in the German armed forces.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

Nothing wrong with French troops. They have just suffered from poor leadership.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Armybrat wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:29 pm Nothing wrong with French troops. They have just suffered from poor leadership.
Yep. They have never been the same since Napoleon was defeated. :mrgreen:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The myth of French cowardice in battle is completely false. The French are very brave and love their homeland. The more accurate version is that French politics has been an unrelenting series of disasters for the past 1000 years, while their military leadership swings between talented tyrants and absolutely laughable incompetence. The French stalemate inWW1 was the result of atrocious French leadership, while the French defeat in WW2 was the result of even worse French leadership. Dien Bien Phu wasn't the result of cowardice, but of 1) a terrible idea (the remoted bases) compounded by 2) the NVA feat of moving heavy artillery by hand through hilly jungle into unassailable firing positions.

It is likely France has not had a single officer worthy of the title of General since the Napoleonic Wars. De Gaulle was a particularly sorry example, and his only real accomplishment was that he used his vastly superior tanks to at least try to fight Rommel (though he still got dog-stomped). He then proceeded to drag the US into French post-WW2 colonial ambitions by threatening to join the Soviets if we pressed him to stop enslaving Viet Nam. And that's their BEST commander since Napoleon....you get the picture from the fact that the list deteriorates rapidly from there.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

We have France to thank for many great things. French Toast, French bread, French Fries, Liptons French Onion Soup mix, French Salad Dressing and of coarse the famous Arby's French Dip sandwich. Let's not forget the French Kiss. I suppose we could credit them with the idea of democracy.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”