Triple shooting over masks at Georgia grocery store leaves cashier dead, deputy and man injured

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Triple shooting over masks at Georgia grocery store leaves cashier dead, deputy and man injured

Post by Flightmare »

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/tripl ... 55FJC6ZEI/
Fernandes spoke with owner of Big Bear, who did not give his name.
He said he hired and off-duty deputy to help enforce the mask policy at the store.
After Monday’s triple shooting, he said he may not allow customers to carry any guns inside the store anymore.
“How come they carry all the guns in a public place like that?” he asked, calling the practice “bad.”
Couple things here.

1) The article implies that the reason that the customer shot the cashier was due to mask policy. If you disagree with a businesses mask policy / dress code / etc, there are other retailers who you can shop at. A store employee requesting you either put on a mask or leave is not an imminent threat of death or bodily injury. I personally believe masks should be voluntary. If a person does not wish to wear one, they should not be forced to.

2) The owner thinks that putting a sign on a door will keep people like the one above from harming others? He already showed he has no respect for other people or the law by SHOOTING someone over something as trivial as a store mask policy. :banghead: I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the logic of people who think that if they pass another law, or make another rule that the bad guys will follow that one.

Rant over!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

chasfm11

Re: Triple shooting over masks at Georgia grocery store leaves cashier dead, deputy and man injured

Post by chasfm11 »

People who frequent the store say the gunman is well known at Big Bear and they believe he may have some mental health issues.
What a shock! Yet another gunman, known to the area with mental health problems. The store owner wonders why people walk around with guns instead of wondering why someone with mental problem isn't getting treatment.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Triple shooting over masks at Georgia grocery store leaves cashier dead, deputy and man injured

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:42 am https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/tripl ... 55FJC6ZEI/
Fernandes spoke with owner of Big Bear, who did not give his name.
He said he hired and off-duty deputy to help enforce the mask policy at the store.
After Monday’s triple shooting, he said he may not allow customers to carry any guns inside the store anymore.
“How come they carry all the guns in a public place like that?” he asked, calling the practice “bad.”
Couple things here.

1) The article implies that the reason that the customer shot the cashier was due to mask policy. If you disagree with a businesses mask policy / dress code / etc, there are other retailers who you can shop at. A store employee requesting you either put on a mask or leave is not an imminent threat of death or bodily injury. I personally believe masks should be voluntary. If a person does not wish to wear one, they should not be forced to.

2) The owner thinks that putting a sign on a door will keep people like the one above from harming others? He already showed he has no respect for other people or the law by SHOOTING someone over something as trivial as a store mask policy. :banghead: I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the logic of people who think that if they pass another law, or make another rule that the bad guys will follow that one.

Rant over!
The part about banning guns is even more ridiculous when you consider that this guy didn't have a gun on him at first. He left the store, got his gun, then came back in and started shooting. When he decided to enter the store with his gun he had already decided to commit murder. I highly doubt thatg a "no guns" sign would have changed his mind at that point.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

As I see it. Masks should all immediately be outlawed to keep something like this from happening again. :rules:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:22 pm As I see it. Masks should all immediately be outlawed to keep something like this from happening again. :rules:
I'm fine making them optional, but businesses should not be able to require masks for anyone.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:22 pm As I see it. Masks should all immediately be outlawed to keep something like this from happening again. :rules:
I'm fine making them optional, but businesses should not be able to require masks for anyone.
I remember when Businesses had a sign, "We Reserve the The Right to Refuse Service to Anyone". Do you remember those placards?

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:52 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 pm
I remember when Businesses had a sign, "We Reserve the The Right to Refuse Service to Anyone". Do you remember those placards?
My comment was meant to be sarcastic. Leftist always blame an object, usually the gun, rather than the person who commits the crime. Taking a page from their book, I was blaming something leftists hold near and dear to their hearts. Masks.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

My thing is this, and I have said so from the beginning. Is the juice worth the squeeze, is the risk worth the reward? We've had multiple assaults and murders around the globe over confronting people not wearing a mask. It isn't like confronting someone is going to change their mind, and it opens you up to risk. So there is literally zero reward, but at least some risk. So why do it? Especially now when we are finding out exactly how useless they are.
NRA Benefactor Member

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Jago668 asked
My thing is this, and I have said so from the beginning. Is the juice worth the squeeze, is the risk worth the reward? We've had multiple assaults and murders around the globe over confronting people not wearing a mask. It isn't like confronting someone is going to change their mind, and it opens you up to risk. So there is literally zero reward, but at least some risk. So why do it? Especially now when we are finding out exactly how useless they are.
Because people love power.
(Most) people love making others toe the line and do as they are told.
There are dozens of little Hitlers in every crowd, just itching for a chance to make someone else bow down.
This entire pandemic, and the attitudes it has exposed, has shown us just how easy it is to become a totalitarian state.
I used to wonder at how easily the "Good Germans" embraced the Nazi party. I don't any longer.

03Lightningrocks

Chemist45 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 pm Jago668 asked
Because people love power.
(Most) people love making others toe the line and do as they are told.
There are dozens of little Hitlers in every crowd, just itching for a chance to make someone else bow down.
This entire pandemic, and the attitudes it has exposed, has shown us just how easy it is to become a totalitarian state.
I used to wonder at how easily the "Good Germans" embraced the Nazi party. I don't any longer.
I agree. Then add to that the huge number of people who just "went along" because they figured it was not worth the trouble to resist.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”