TX: Dallas clerk charged with murder for shooting robbers at night

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Dallas clerk charged with murder for shooting robbers at night

Post by Grayling813 »

Many, many years ago when I worked at 7-11 the policy was let robbers take whatever they wanted….losing your life wasn’t worth trying to stop them.

The clerk should never have left the store, much less shot at the robbers.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

Grayling813 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:43 pm Many, many years ago when I worked at 7-11 the policy was let robbers take whatever they wanted….losing your life wasn’t worth trying to stop them.

The clerk should never have left the store, much less shot at the robbers.
It is a bad deal probably 99% of time to shoot at someone fleeing.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 pm I just can't imagine shooting at someone over a couple cases of beer.
:iagree:

Really, really dumb - I can understand the feeling of outrage, but you shouldn't shoot someone for that.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The way I read the law, it may be justified and it may be murder. If it was his own beer, I believe he would be legally justified under PC Section 9.42. The problem might be 9.43(2). It was protection of a third party's property, so under 9.43(1) it had to be theft or criminal mischief (and it is confusing if the theft had to be at night or not) AND under 9.43(2) he had to have been asked by the owner to defend the property or believe he had a legal duty to do so. That asked by the owner can be the problem in his defense because, as was pointed out, many stores say to just let it go as not worth risking your life.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

There have been several cases I remember of theft at night here in Houston where the shooter was no billed. But that was twenty years ago. Different DA. Different time.

There was the case that made the news recently in Houston where a next door neighbor killed two men leaving with his neighbors stuff at night. It went to trial and the jury said not guilty. But that was pretty disruptive to the old mans life.

I remember it was brought up did the neighbor say protect my house?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:27 pm There have been several cases I remember of theft at night here in Houston where the shooter was no billed. But that was twenty years ago. Different DA. Different time.

There was the case that made the news recently in Houston where a next door neighbor killed two men leaving with his neighbors stuff at night. It went to trial and the jury said not guilty. But that was pretty disruptive to the old mans life.

I remember the one in Pasadena. I think it was a case were the neighbor had ask him to keep an eye on the place. There was a running thread on that one. It became quite "emotional" at times....LOL.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 pm I just can't imagine shooting at someone over a couple cases of beer. Unless it is Shiner Bock... :biggrinjester:

But seriously. It wasn't even his beer. No matter the outcome, it just isn't worth the hassle. I carry my weapon for self defense, not to be law enforcement.
:iagree:
Charlie

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

It's hard to say, if that robber is pointing a gun at you. Death Row is full of people who robbed a convenience store and shot the clerk. Now if the robber just picks up a case of beer and walks out with it, that's a different matter.
-Ruark

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

What Ruark said. Shoplifting, or robbery?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:01 am
philip964 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:27 pm There have been several cases I remember of theft at night here in Houston where the shooter was no billed. But that was twenty years ago. Different DA. Different time.

I remember the one in Pasadena. I think it was a case were the neighbor had ask him to keep an eye on the place. There was a running thread on that one. It became quite "emotional" at times....LOL.
Joe Horn case. he was no billed by a grand jury.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_ ... ontroversy
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Although I wouldn’t hesitate to protect innocent life by taking a criminal’s life, I still think that there is likely a post event emotional struggle that would likely ensue. I don’t think taking life is something you just shrug off. How much more then, should restraint be exercised when someone is out in the parking lot with a few stolen cases of beer (doesn’t even have to be related to the current case). How can someone have a conscious and do such a thing?

Whether all the facts are known or not in this case, this situation should make people think. So, maybe the clerk was threatened outside with a weapon by the thieves and his actions are warranted. So I’m not criticizing his actions yet, but only considering one possible scenario which may have transpired.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”