TX: man fleeing in your BMW in daytime - can you legally shoot

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: man fleeing in your BMW in daytime - can you legally shoot

Post by jerry_r60 »

srothstein wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:08 pm I think it really depends on the time of day and the official sunset that day. Since the vehicle was unoccupied, it needs to be covered in PC section 9.42 for deadly force in defense of property. That justifies it for theft at nighttime (more than 30 minutes after official sunset until 30 minutes before official sunrise.
In general this would be another factor. In this case the article says:
SAN ANTONIO – The owner of a BMW shot a man who had just taken off in his vehicle at a convenience store Tuesday afternoon on the city’s Northeast Side, police said.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is only my OPINION.

A car is property. Only if the thief car jacked the vehicle while the owner was inside would it fall under protection of persons.
in this case...... Emphasis is mine..... The "and" at the end of 2B should not be overlooked. It is non-trivial.
Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm I am not a lawyer. This is only my OPINION.

A car is property. Only if the thief car jacked the vehicle while the owner was inside would it fall under protection of persons.
in this case...... Emphasis is mine..... The "and" at the end of 2B should not be overlooked. It is non-trivial.
Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Was it not just in the past month some congress womans husband opened fire on a guy who stole their car. No charges, nothing. It dropped from the news like a story about potato prices.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:15 amWas it not just in the past month some congress womans husband opened fire on a guy who stole their car. No charges, nothing. It dropped from the news like a story about potato prices.
Illinois State Senator...
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/12/23 ... arjacking/

That incident is VERY different than being inside QT and watching your car disappear. The IL carjacking happened to people, not just property. Two people were robbed at gunpoint. If I'm in QT and I see my car being driven off, am I in danger for my life? No. So, the property laws would apply. Not defense of persons.

In Texas, shooting at someone in the process of aggravated robbery is presumed to be justified....

I am not a lawyer. This is just my opinion. Worth what you paid for it. :lol:
Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or

(C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);

(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and

(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.

(c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this section.

(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “The Crime Blotter”