NC: a new one, off duty deputy shoots and kills man who jumped on his truck

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

NC: a new one, off duty deputy shoots and kills man who jumped on his truck

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/protest ... 00393.html

No video. Officer suspended. Protests start. Man peacefully crossing street vs man who jumped on his truck.

So In Texas can you shoot a man who jumps on your truck and may have tried to break the windshield with your wiper he ripped off the car? Can you drive real fast and try and shake him off? Or must you wait until he tries to forcibly remove you from the vehicle?

Don’t know if at night.

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NC: a new one, off duty deputy shoots and kills man who jumped on his truck

Post by wheelgun1958 »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:05 pm https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/protest ... 00393.html

No video. Officer suspended. Protests start. Man peacefully crossing street vs man who jumped on his truck.

So In Texas can you shoot a man who jumps on your truck and may have tried to break the windshield with your wiper he ripped off the car? Can you drive real fast and try and shake him off? Or must you wait until he tries to forcibly remove you from the vehicle?

Don’t know if at night.
And he continues to be re-elected and never gets convicted for his numerous crimes.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:05 pm https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/protest ... 00393.html

Don’t know if at night.
I wouldn't shoot him but I would take him for the ride of his life. LOL... hopefully he hangs on long enough for me to get on the freeway.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Jason Walker's dad tells cop that his son DID 'jump on car hood'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oting.html

Looks like off duty police officer was telling the truth.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I really can't see this being a situation where I would feel compelled to shoot. Was it justified? Maybe? Would it be worth a grand jury for someone jumping on the hood of my vehicle? Hell no.

Has anyone taken (or thought about) the Massad Ayoob MAG20 Classroom class? Very eye opening and really makes you think about possible defensive shooting situations. Mas is 73 right now and likely won't be teaching much longer I would think. I took the below class 3 or so years ago and would like to take it one more time before he retires. I try to take the shooting portion of the class once a year just to gauge my performance since it's something that is consistent in it's structure and scored the same way. Just food for thought.

https://massadayoobgroup.com/mag-20-classroom/

cirus

Post by cirus »

If he jumped on my truck, ripped off my wiper and tries to break my windshield I turn his forehead into a canoe.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm driving in my car, with my daughter. Some random dude jumps on the hood, rips off the wiper and breaks my windshield. How long do I have to wait before I can assume the guy might have another weapon, or the intent to do me or my daughter serious bodily harm?

Facts still coming in... but...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

cirus wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 pm If he jumped on my truck, ripped off my wiper and tries to break my windshield I turn his forehead into a canoe.
RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 am I'm driving in my car, with my daughter. Some random dude jumps on the hood, rips off the wiper and breaks my windshield. How long do I have to wait before I can assume the guy might have another weapon, or the intent to do me or my daughter serious bodily harm?

Speed up, hit the brakes, let gravity take the blame and face the grand jury :roll: "rlol"

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:22 pm
cirus wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 pm If he jumped on my truck, ripped off my wiper and tries to break my windshield I turn his forehead into a canoe.
RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 am I'm driving in my car, with my daughter. Some random dude jumps on the hood, rips off the wiper and breaks my windshield. How long do I have to wait before I can assume the guy might have another weapon, or the intent to do me or my daughter serious bodily harm?

Speed up, hit the brakes, let gravity take the blame and face the grand jury :roll: "rlol"
That would be funny but I believe that would be inertia and gravity. :mrgreen:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/opini ... 518083001/

Local CHL reader asks if it was a deadly threat.

Feels because he was an off duty officer he was treated differently.

It sounds like the off duty officer left the relative safety of his truck to shoot the man.

I think there may have been traffic to prevent inertia from being used.

Injuring or killing the man with the truck also has risks of arrest and civil suit as well.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”