TX: Dallas summer camp attacked by man with gun

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: Dallas summer camp attacked by man with gun

Post by oljames3 »

oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:44 am
oljames3 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:48 pm
oohrah wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:36 pm
oljames3 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:20 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:18 am
oohrah wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 pm The guy was mentally ill, his whole family knew it. Why he was allowed to have access to a firearm is unforgivable. Sounds like an argument for some kind of red flag action.
The huge problem I have with red flag laws is the lack of due process. We cannot trust our government. They ALLWAYS abuse their authority!
:iagree:
and I agree too. But all of the shootings have involved someone who a lot of people knew was unhinged. We need a way to report these people with proper due process and keep them from getting guns. It only makes us gun supporters look bad and inflames the left.
We don't need unconstitutional red flag laws. The states already have involuntary commitment laws. In Texas, it is §574.025 of the Health & Safety Code. The article at this link gives a brief explanation of involuntary the states commitment laws. These laws may not be perfect, but they already exist and can be used effectively. https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/ment ... ment-laws/
I've never heard of that law, thanks for the link. But I bet very few of the public know of it either. Why aren't gun supporters pushing for this law to be enforced and making the public aware. And making more noise about the prior information that could be available to LE. Instead we employ the some old tropes that only make us look bad. just my 2c
The grabbers don't care about helping people, they just want control. I am not certain why gun rights folks don't push involuntary commitment more as a counter to red flag laws. Actually getting mentally ill folks the help they need seems a better approach to me than seizing property without due process and infringing on folks rights.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:18 pm
oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:44 am
oljames3 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:48 pm
oohrah wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 pm The guy was mentally ill, his whole family knew it. Why he was allowed to have access to a firearm is unforgivable. Sounds like an argument for some kind of red flag action.
The huge problem I have with red flag laws is the lack of due process. We cannot trust our government. They ALLWAYS abuse their authority!
and I agree too. But all of the shootings have involved someone who a lot of people knew was unhinged. We need a way to report these people with proper due process and keep them from getting guns. It only makes us gun supporters look bad and inflames the left.
We don't need unconstitutional red flag laws. The states already have involuntary commitment laws. In Texas, it is §574.025 of the Health & Safety Code. The article at this link gives a brief explanation of involuntary the states commitment laws. These laws may not be perfect, but they already exist and can be used effectively. https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/ment ... ment-laws/
I've never heard of that law, thanks for the link. But I bet very few of the public know of it either. Why aren't gun supporters pushing for this law to be enforced and making the public aware. And making more noise about the prior information that could be available to LE. Instead we employ the some old tropes that only make us look bad. just my 2c
The grabbers don't care about helping people, they just want control. I am not certain why gun rights folks don't push involuntary commitment more as a counter to red flag laws. Actually getting mentally ill folks the help they need seems a better approach to me than seizing property without due process and infringing on folks rights.
Exactly. Even involuntary commitment laws require a court hearing at the least. Red flag laws allow for ex wives, neighbors who don't like the way you cut your lawn or even some anonymous person from the internet to claim you said or did something that makes you a risk. They come to your house and take your guns BEFORE any fair hearings or day in court.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

I recently agreed with this until I read the book by Sue Klebold, mother of Columbine killer, Dylan Klebold. This is an issue with no clear solution and gun grabbing will not help. Disturbing.

A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy
[url]https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/259 ... koning/url]

[url]
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “The Crime Blotter”