Mesquite Man Arrested After Pulling Gun

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Mesquite Man Arrested After Pulling Gun

Post by carlson1 »

There is so much to learn from this video. One of those is maybe “pocket carry” is not the best. Probably the most important was neither one of these guys should have pulled over and got out of their vehicles. I know how “ego” is a problem, but maybe everyone should learn how to count to to 10 and deescalate.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/l ... 9220020520
In a video captured by a witness, one of the men involved knocked the other onto the ground. The person who was knocked down, identified as 51-year-old suspect Stephen Phillips, got up, pulled out a gun and pointed it at the other.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mesquite Man Arrested After Pulling Gun

Post by Paladin »

Having seen the video, I thought they should have arrested both men. Lots of stupidity on display in that video. Don't ever be those guys.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:16 pm Having seen the video, I thought they should have arrested both men. Lots of stupidity on display in that video. Don't ever be those guys.
You are right. Had the man been in real danger and been justified at using his gun he failed. Not only could he not draw successfully from the pocket his gun jammed and he couldn’t get it cleared and when he did it went off. Very fortunate he didn’t kill someone.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:16 pm Having seen the video, I thought they should have arrested both men. Lots of stupidity on display in that video. Don't ever be those guys.
I agree. Although we don't know what if anything occurred before the blue shirt initiated an assault he was clearly the aggressor by charging at a man who was walking away with his back turned; knocking him to the ground then kicking him. Both those actions could be deadly. The other man foolishly drawing his weapon doesn't mitigate the assault perpetrated on him.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

:iagree:

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I have two thoughts on this. The first one, as most have said, is that the incident should never have occurred in the first place. NEVER pull over and get into an altercation like that. Always make every effort to disengage and depart the situation.

Second thought, though, is that despite Hollyweird garbage movies that show people taking dozens of hits and kicks and just getting a bloody lip, people have been killed by ONE punch or kick. There is a big difference between two trained boxers going at it in a ring with gloves on, and two "regular" people fighting in real-world circumstances, especially with some disparity in size and/or age. My heart has become very hardened toward bad people who initiate violence against others and expect to get away with injuring, maiming, or even killing others. And, yet again, I am glad I live in a rural area. Not because violence doesn't happen out here, but the lesser the amount of people, the lesser chance for interactions that turn really bad, really fast. YMMV, I am not an expert nor a lawyer.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

We live in stressful times. Bad behavior is happening a lot of places. One example is that "the FAA has seen a disturbing increase in incidents where airline passengers have disrupted flights with threatening or violent behavior".

Today, de-escalation techniques are more important than ever.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

mayor

Post by mayor »

Paladin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:18 pm We live in stressful times. Bad behavior is happening a lot of places. One example is that "the FAA has seen a disturbing increase in incidents where airline passengers have disrupted flights with threatening or violent behavior".

Today, de-escalation techniques are more important than ever.
I think the environment of social media, where you don't have to watch your tongue and anything goes, is spilling over into real life.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree: That is very true.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

We definitely live in an age of rage! Sometimes just the honking of a horn has the potential to turn deadly. Police in Oakland not interested.
https://flagandcross.com/road-rage-vict ... ontent=CAN
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Aside from how bad the road rage is, etc...

For this case, the charges would most likely be dismissed.
There was no justification whatsoever for the man in the blue shirt to purse and assault the old man.
The old man lacked training in self-defense and could not keep control of his firearm.
As per Texas law, the threat of deadly force is considered a force when the use of force is justified.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”