‘Glock Switches’: Turning Hand Guns Into Machine Guns Becoming Popular Among Gangsters

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

‘Glock Switches’: Turning Hand Guns Into Machine Guns Becoming Popular Among Gangsters

Post by Paladin »

The rise in murders in recent years has been accompanied by another trend—criminals are increasingly modifying their firearms to enable fully automatic fire, converting simple handguns into tiny machine guns.
Unlicensed switches have started to proliferate in the past several years after some people in China started to make them and sell them online. They’re usually mailed to the United States directly or smuggled in through Mexico, according to the ATF. Some have also been made domestically on 3D printers. The agency has identified about 2,500 people who may have bought one, WGN TV reported in 2019.
I think its crazy that it's easier for criminals than law abiding citizens to get these.
Such a firearm is highly impractical, as the rapid recoil and small size make it difficult to control and wildly inaccurate. Because most Glocks use 9mm ammunition, the recoil is rather strong and the muzzle will increasingly jerk up the longer one holds the trigger, explained Charles Heller, firearms instructor and radio host in Arizona.

“If you run a Glock full-auto you’re going to be shooting airplanes pretty quick,” he told The Epoch Times.

...There are a small number of such switches that are legally owned by people with the required license. Some law enforcement agencies have them, too, according to Heller.
I am super amused by this part. First of all, why would law enforcement have such a firearm as described? I know that they are used in SWAT raids but should they be? It's easy to shoot yourself if you don't know what you are doing. My understanding is that Glock required specific training before they would sell law enforcement a select fire G18, but even then I am unsure the training would enough to make the G18 a real asset to law enforcement.

I have shot a full-auto Glock with ATF Tax Stamp. With a forward grip, stock, and adequate strength/training it was very controllable, but still dangerous if you aren't disciplined or don't know what you are doing. With a compensator and a stock I imagine it would be an excellent shooter. If Hughes Amendment ever gets repealed or struck down, I'd get one. They are very light weight for a submachinegun.

All the gangster felons running around with Auto Glocks should get an extra 10 years in federal prison to figure out their life, but somehow I think the Soros DA's actually want them to run free terrorizing our communities.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ‘Glock Switches’: Turning Hand Guns Into Machine Guns Becoming Popular Among Gangsters

Post by Grayling813 »

:iagree:

I've also shot a full auto Glock with stock. Not easy to control, even if you know what's coming when you pull the trigger.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ‘Glock Switches’: Turning Hand Guns Into Machine Guns Becoming Popular Among Gangsters

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have nothing against the private ownership of select fire weapons, but if I could afford that leap and were going to make it—legally or not—it would be for an SBR or carbine, not a pistol. Even a pistol caliber SMG would be preferable to me. I’ve never fired a machine pistol, but they strike me as more useful for sowing chaos rather than for aimed fire.

For gangsta applications, it looks to me like when petty street thugs walk around with a 33-round stick mag stuck in their carry Glock, because they think it makes them into badasses. I guess I sound like a Fudd, but I just don’t see the point. I want my bullets to go where I want them to go, not where the gun randomly flings them while it’s not entirely under control.

As usual, criminal trash are why we can’t have nice things.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My issue is police, SWAT, and every other law abiding citizen KNOWS they are responsible for EVERY ROUND and it is an absolute impossibility to keep up with rounds fired that fast. Even three round burst are dangerous.

JRG

Post by JRG »

And you have these u-tubers that make videos of themselves firing their Glocks full auto. Why not just send the ATF a written invitation to come visit? idiots!

Joe

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:58 pm I have nothing against the private ownership of select fire weapons, but if I could afford that leap and were going to make it—legally or not—it would be for an SBR or carbine, not a pistol. Even a pistol caliber SMG would be preferable to me. I’ve never fired a machine pistol, but they strike me as more useful for sowing chaos rather than for aimed fire.

For gangsta applications, it looks to me like when petty street thugs walk around with a 33-round stick mag stuck in their carry Glock, because they think it makes them into badasses. I guess I sound like a Fudd, but I just don’t see the point. I want my bullets to go where I want them to go, not where the gun randomly flings them while it’s not entirely under control.

The smoothest, most controllable full auto gun I've ever fired was an MP5. Depending on your definition, It could be considered a machine pistol. However, It still has a stock. But generally, I would prefer a SBR with a larger round as well.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:30 pm ‘Glock Switches’: Turning Hand Guns Into Machine Guns Becoming Popular Among Gangsters
Unlicensed switches have started to proliferate in the past several years after some people in China started to make them and sell them online. They’re usually mailed to the United States directly or smuggled in through Mexico, according to the ATF. Some have also been made domestically on 3D printers. The agency has identified about 2,500 people who may have bought one, WGN TV reported in 2019.
...There are a small number of such switches that are legally owned by people with the required license. Some law enforcement agencies have them, too, according to Heller.
I am super amused by this part. First of all, why would law enforcement have such a firearm as described? I know that they are used in SWAT raids but should they be? It's easy to shoot yourself if you don't know what you are doing. My understanding is that Glock required specific training before they would sell law enforcement a select fire G18, but even then I am unsure the training would enough to make the G18 a real asset to law enforcement.
I have never seen any justification at all for a police department having full auto weapons, at least not since Ness went up against Capone and his ilk and I am not sure even then. I was successful with this argument one time, though I am not sure if it was my convincing ways, others agreeing, or the director's personal opinion. When TABC received 150 M16s from the Army, the first thing we did was change them all to semi-auto only. of course we had to test fire them before and after the changeover to ensure they were working properly. Amazingly enough, there was no shortage of volunteers to help test the full auto functionality.

I am not even 100% convinced that police need rifles like the AR-15 for their jobs, at least not for every patrolman. As a patrolman in a rural area, I preferred to carry a lever action rifle in .44 mag. I expected I might need it to put an animal (cow or horse) down after some type of accident and I would not want to get close enough to use a pistol (an injured horse or cow would be kicking and that is not a good thing to get in the way of). This is not to say there is no use for a rifle in law enforcement, just that I think it is a more specialized weapon that not every cop needs.

For patrolmen in most cases, I still recommend a 12 gauge shotgun if they need something more than a pistol. But I am old (and old-fashioned), and learned my police work in a different time. I have not been an active cop in about 15 years and thinks may have changed. I could be wrong about the rifle but I have still not seen any argument that convinces me of full auto.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

srothstein wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:30 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:30 pm ‘Glock Switches’: Turning Hand Guns Into Machine Guns Becoming Popular Among Gangsters
I have never seen any justification at all for a police department having full auto weapons, at least not since Ness went up against Capone and his ilk and I am not sure even then. I was successful with this argument one time, though I am not sure if it was my convincing ways, others agreeing, or the director's personal opinion. When TABC received 150 M16s from the Army, the first thing we did was change them all to semi-auto only. of course we had to test fire them before and after the changeover to ensure they were working properly. Amazingly enough, there was no shortage of volunteers to help test the full auto functionality.

I am not even 100% convinced that police need rifles like the AR-15 for their jobs, at least not for every patrolman. As a patrolman in a rural area, I preferred to carry a lever action rifle in .44 mag. I expected I might need it to put an animal (cow or horse) down after some type of accident and I would not want to get close enough to use a pistol (an injured horse or cow would be kicking and that is not a good thing to get in the way of). This is not to say there is no use for a rifle in law enforcement, just that I think it is a more specialized weapon that not every cop needs.

For patrolmen in most cases, I still recommend a 12 gauge shotgun if they need something more than a pistol. But I am old (and old-fashioned), and learned my police work in a different time. I have not been an active cop in about 15 years and thinks may have changed. I could be wrong about the rifle but I have still not seen any argument that convinces me of full auto.
Some great thoughts here! I've heard that a lot of police are missing having a 12 gauge these days. It is an important tool. Also good thoughts about having a larger caliber rifle. I can see the need for properly trained officers having an AR-15. Unfortunately when I see law enforcement officers using AR-15s on the range, many times their skill appears to be beginner level. I have seen some officers that are respectably skilled, but reviewing even Texas Patrol Rifle Instructor standards, instructor standards are substantially easier that Paul Howe's standards or even NRA America's Rifle DE Standards.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

These days gun battles with multiple suspects, ambushes, barricaded subjects, and long ranges are much more common than they were when I started in police work.

The 12 gauge is a devastating weapon for close encounters and fully exposed single suspects and would be my first choice if I knew that was what I would be getting into. However, their limitations of low ammo capacity, spreading patterns of multiple projectiles, and unsuitability for precision engagement of suspects who are barricaded or behind partial cover at extended ranges make them IMHO not the best choice for what patrol officers have to deal with today. The AR15 handles all those situations either reasonably or very well so it's my first choice for routine patrol.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:58 pm I have nothing against the private ownership of select fire weapons, but if I could afford that leap and were going to make it—legally or not—it would be for an SBR or carbine, not a pistol. Even a pistol caliber SMG would be preferable to me. I’ve never fired a machine pistol, but they strike me as more useful for sowing chaos rather than for aimed fire.

The smoothest, most controllable full auto gun I've ever fired was an MP5. Depending on your definition, It could be considered a machine pistol. However, It still has a stock. But generally, I would prefer a SBR with a larger round as well.
In terms of pistol calibers, I was thinking in general as to whether or not it comes with a shoulder stock and handguard of some sort to aid in aiming and control, and secondarily a slightly longer barrel than a Glock 18 for better ballistics. As "good guys", we're supposed to be accountable to the lawyers that are attached to every bullet we fire. So I’m just thinking in terms of liabilities. With a G18, there’s a LOT of it; much less with an MP5. With an MP5, I wouldn’t feel particularly under-armed either…even though, like you, I’d generally would prefer the larger round.

Hmmmm. And that gets me to thinking about a 5.7 machine pistol with a stock…although I’m not rich enough for the ammo bill. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

MP5 on semi-auto makes marksmanship easy compared to just about any pistol. 25 yard headshots are simple with minimal training. The MP5K is a bit tougher on full-auto than the standard MP5 and an MP5SD with a integral silencer is easier than the standard.

I do prefer .45acp in a subgun. The Thompson and UMP45 are amazing! :coolgleamA:

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

The M11-9mm is quite fun to shoot in SMG mode! :biggrinjester: It's controllable if you're used to it. 1,200 RPM...WHEEE! I hear the new 50 round Shockwave mags are fun...

So, back to the Glock...I think it'd be a hoot to put in an MCX chassis (or similar) :tiphat:

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:26 am

Hmmmm. And that gets me to thinking about a 5.7 machine pistol with a stock…although I’m not rich enough for the ammo bill. :mrgreen:
The P90 I shot was amazing as far as recoil is concerned. There was almost no felt recoil to speak of...but you are right. You'd have to have quite a bit of money to be able to run that ammo full auto regularly.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I like my PSA 5.7. It is a great shooter. My wife handles the recoil so much better.

JRG

Post by JRG »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:07 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:26 am

The P90 I shot was amazing as far as recoil is concerned. There was almost no felt recoil to speak of...but you are right. You'd have to have quite a bit of money to be able to run that ammo full auto regularly.
And I have noticed that 5.7 ammo is getting a little cheaper these days too. It's a win/win.

Joe

Return to “The Crime Blotter”